ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Holder Event

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
Got to go to the meet the coaches event today. Nice event, coaches except Tasha, who was sick, all were there.
one question that has popped up here was answered- we definitely are at 8 players. From what coach Eashington said we are not getting anyone else new for now. Said she would probably add a couple of walk ons in the fall, so roster will be pretty thin this year.
Mentioned wanting to be up tempo, which has been mentioned here already

Reactions: MADHAT1
thanks , sounds like CW is going to have a lot to overcome this year and RU WBB fans shouldn't expect a miracle, but can hope for one as she changes the way RU played under Vivian into the way she wants it done

Running out, but not to be dumb, who is the 8th player? Thanks for the report hoquat63.
MADHAT, a miracle? I just want to win about 10 games.

Running out, but not to be dumb, who is the 8th player? Thanks for the report hoquat63.
MADHAT, a miracle? I just want to win about 10 games.
I'm always hoping for a miracle season .
I refuse to be doom and gloom before the season even starts.
Then look for the positives during the season and refuse to enter the dark side until
the season proves a disaster.
I don't consider my self a realist when it comes to my fan-hood, hopeful is the type I consider myself.and a real Pest to those who want to spread doom and gloom on this board replying with the positive to their negativity 😁

Reactions: ChasRC69
Got to go to the meet the coaches event today. Nice event, coaches except Tasha, who was sick, all were there.
one question that has popped up here was answered- we definitely are at 8 players. From what coach Eashington said we are not getting anyone else new for now. Said she would probably add a couple of walk ons in the fall, so roster will be pretty thin this year.
A bit deflating to hear that we are not expecting any more additions for now except for Fall walk-ons. I knew it would be a rough season, but the current roster doesn't have a point guard on it at all. We couldn't get one pg out of the portal....being late to the party and all, we still should have been able to at least get one.

Patience!,...I know........But I hate for us to go into the season with only 8 legitimate players.

I feel for Chyna and Erica especially. They'll finally get a chance to play, but I'd hate for them to have to get it in an unstable season of lopsided defeats. Just think what their RUWBB (on-court) experience will end up being after 3 years.

The staff has to continue to look hard for a pg or 2.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
A bit deflating to hear that we are not expecting any more additions for now except for Fall walk-ons. I knew it would be a rough season, but the current roster doesn't have a point guard on it at all. We couldn't get one pg out of the portal....being late to the party and all, we still should have been able to at least get one.

Patience!,...I know........But I hate for us to go into the season with only 8 legitimate players.

I feel for Chyna and Erica especially. They'll finally get a chance to play, but I'd hate for them to have to get it in an unstable season of lopsided defeats. Just think what their RUWBB (on-court) experience will end up being after 3 years.

The staff has to continue to look hard for a pg or 2.
I asked Nikki about the pg situation and she said that it would be “point guard by committee.” I also asked John about the transfer portal and he said that if people are still in the portal, there is a reason. They want no drama players who will fit the culture they are trying to build.

I asked Nikki about the pg situation and she said that it would be “point guard by committee.” I also asked John about the transfer portal and he said that if people are still in the portal, there is a reason. They want no drama players who will fit the culture they are trying to build.
Thanks for that insight.

I figured with this roster, Abby may be the starting point guard with Kaylene as the other guard. Hope Erica has been perfecting her handle.

I guess that is one big difference between this HC and the previous one. The willingness to take a chance on a player. I hope they can get their targeted standard of recruits.

I understand what John is saying but dang,.....ALL of this latest group of transfers to commit couldn't be drama hazards. Could they??! Going back to early June, Evans and Grizzle were still available.

When CW took a pass on Zoe, I said to myself, just have to trust that she knows what she's doing and who she wants to bring in. This is another of those moments that I just have to trust that they know what they are doing with this short roster while remaining very selective.

Thanks for that insight.

I figured with this roster, Abby may be the starting point guard with Kaylene as the other guard. Hope Erica has been perfecting her handle.

I guess that is one big difference between this HC and the previous one. The willingness to take a chance on a player. I hope they can get their targeted standard of recruits.

I understand what John is saying but dang,.....ALL of this latest group of transfers to commit couldn't be drama hazards. Could they??! Going back to early June, Evans and Grizzle were still available.

When CW took a pass on Zoe, I said to myself, just have to trust that she knows what she's doing and who she wants to bring in. This is another of those moments that I just have to trust that they know what they are doing with this short roster while remaining very selective.
John said he contacted the former coaches for some players with great stats and found out that they created negative culture and often didn’t get along with other players. They will not rule out some who might enter now due to a last minute coaching change like Brown who is coming from St. Peter’s.

Your first remark is, I think, a bit of a miss. It is true that Vivian would take on players with what I'll loosely call "personality" issues if they met her basketball criteria. She was not always successful, including a few very lightly publicized departures, but it was, for Vivian, a "thing" that was important to her, and she certainly had very notable successes.

That said, part of Vivian's thing was not to have "drama" any more than it looks to be CW's thing. I would argue that when some "drama" came up in the locker room, it impacted Rutgers' performance, including some recent years where the team sagged in the postseason.

As to the 2nd remark, I have heard the same thing elsewhere, that when folks are still in the portal late "there is a reason". If you start by subtracting those that don't play the position you want, then those that just are not very good players (there was a reason they didn't play where they were), then those that are just not going to fit into your style and there might not really be so many left. Drama hazards are not always obvious, of course, but assume there are a few, and well, there just is likely slim pickings.

John said he contacted the former coaches for some players with great stats and found out that they created negative culture and often didn’t get along with other players. They will not rule out some who might enter now due to a last minute coaching change like Brown who is coming from St. Peter’s.
I hope he followed up and had conversation(s) with the player(s) also. There is always two sides to a story.

Can you imagine what Brenda Friese might have to say to another coach about those who leave her program. The way Adia Barnes was talking when some of hers jumped into the portal,... The previous coach's words wouldn't carry the most weight in my decision to pursue a player. Just think about the Fordham coach who just stepped down.

HS coach's word might be more reliable.

Your first remark is, I think, a bit of a miss. It is true that Vivian would take on players with what I'll loosely call "personality" issues if they met her basketball criteria. She was not always successful, including a few very lightly publicized departures, but it was, for Vivian, a "thing" that was important to her, and she certainly had very notable successes.

That said, part of Vivian's thing was not to have "drama" any more than it looks to be CW's thing. I would argue that when some "drama" came up in the locker room, it impacted Rutgers' performance, including some recent years where the team sagged in the postseason.

As to the 2nd remark, I have heard the same thing elsewhere, that when folks are still in the portal late "there is a reason". If you start by subtracting those that don't play the position you want, then those that just are not very good players (there was a reason they didn't play where they were), then those that are just not going to fit into your style and there might not really be so many left. Drama hazards are not always obvious, of course, but assume there are a few, and well, there just is likely slim pickings.
Is my first statement a bit of a miss? I think we are saying the same thing. My point was that CVS was willing to give 2nd chances to players. I didn't say she didn't have a standard that players were held to. She gave them the opportunity to redeem themselves from past issues, drama, whatever people might want to call it.

We all know the players that come to mind. I stopped short of saying in the earlier post that, although many did not work out to the point of finishing here at RU, maybe it was meant for them to spend that time that they did in CVS' program, and hopefully it makes a positive difference somewhere down the line. That's what coaches/mentors do along with the x's and o's, right?

The difference I see with CW is that she is trying her best to avoid those players who may have a check by their name. For example, she would have passed on the guard who played briefly for us but is now back with her initial college coach.

And that's okay for CW to approach it that way. Some challenges are not for everyone. And she's definitely not the only one who goes about it that way.

Last thing.

I think of this time in the portal frenzy period as being similar to the NBA and NFL drafts. In the later rounds and post-draft free agency period, there are very slim pickings. But the best teams find the diamonds in the rough that make them the mainstays at the top although they usually are picking close to, if not, last in the draft order.

Our staff has to be employing a similar mindset at this time. Can't just give up looking. That, in my opinion, would be leaving the current roster in a bad spot just like last year's roster was let down by allowing Tim to wreck the whole season.

I hope he followed up and had conversation(s) with the player(s) also. There is always two sides to a story.

Can you imagine what Brenda Friese might have to say to another coach about those who leave her program. The way Adia Barnes was talking when some of hers jumped into the portal,... The previous coach's words wouldn't carry the most weight in my decision to pursue a player. Just think about the Fordham coach who just stepped down.

HS coach's word might be more reliable.
With one exception, Adia offered to assist any interested players that were leaving to find a landing spot. Most of her departures were her choice. She is known as a player's coach for a reason. And the only one (purportedly) "called out" for her lack of practicing had no problem landing at USC.

As Adia said, she just wasn't able to establish the culture she wanted with the group, and she certainly accepted blame for that. She didn't call out anyone by name, and only really said something at appeared to apply to one player particularly. It wasn't that she had a team of "bad apples" and that was never the idea. Rather, the players just didn't mesh into a cohesive unit.

With one exception, Adia offered to assist any interested players that were leaving to find a landing spot. Most of her departures were her choice. She is known as a player's coach for a reason. And the only one (purportedly) "called out" for her lack of practicing had no problem landing at USC.

As Adia said, she just wasn't able to establish the culture she wanted with the group, and she certainly accepted blame for that. She didn't call out anyone by name, and only really said something at appeared to apply to one player particularly. It wasn't that she had a team of "bad apples" and that was never the idea. Rather, the players just didn't mesh into a cohesive unit.
I'd like to hear the tranfers' thoughts on how it all played out.
Most of her departures were her choice??......That doesn't sound like a player's coach to me. Sounds like someone who's not really committed to the players that she got to commit to the program unless they turn out to be great for her. That's exactly why I wouldn't trust the previous coach's word. They will most often make themselves come out clean when describing the transfer in question.

And yes, none of them had a problem landing elsewhere nor did they need a good word from Adia because they were all damn good players. And like you said, none of them were bad apples, which was already known by other programs.

And the only one (purportedly) "called out" for her lack of practicing had no problem landing at USC.
I don't know what happened there, but from the few games I saw, I was surprised at how little playing time she was getting. I thought she must have been injured or something. No way she transfers to Arizona to play the reserve role that she did last year for them.

Sorry to beat a dead basketball, but, can someone tell me who the 8 players are? I still only see 7 on the roster.

I'm always hoping for a miracle season .
I refuse to be doom and gloom before the season even starts.
Then look for the positives during the season and refuse to enter the dark side until
the season proves a disaster.
I don't consider my self a realist when it comes to my fan-hood, hopeful is the type I consider myself.and a real Pest to those who want to spread doom and gloom on this board replying with the positive to their negativity 😁
Doom, and gloom?

Last edited:
Who was "invited" to this event? Cagers? Big donors? I certainly don't remember seeing it announced anywhere.

Is my first statement a bit of a miss? I think we are saying the same thing. My point was that CVS was willing to give 2nd chances to players. I didn't say she didn't have a standard that players were held to. She gave them the opportunity to redeem themselves from past issues, drama, whatever people might want to call it.

We all know the players that come to mind. I stopped short of saying in the earlier post that, although many did not work out to the point of finishing here at RU, maybe it was meant for them to spend that time that they did in CVS' program, and hopefully it makes a positive difference somewhere down the line. That's what coaches/mentors do along with the x's and o's, right?

The difference I see with CW is that she is trying her best to avoid those players who may have a check by their name. For example, she would have passed on the guard who played briefly for us but is now back with her initial college coach.

And that's okay for CW to approach it that way. Some challenges are not for everyone. And she's definitely not the only one who goes about it that way.
Alexis Morris is a very good example btw.

"subjective reality?"
not on my fan agenda before season starts.
After games start being played that's when I'm forced to < redundantly > face reality
Actually it was on fourth floor outdoor balcony of the Barnabas Performance Center. Pretty good crowd. Probably more folks than at Court Club meetings. Very nice spread of food, free t shirts and interesting talk by Coach Washington. Talked about how she recruited coaching staff, getting used to Jersey, etc. Coaches walked around and talked to folks

Actually it was on fourth floor outdoor balcony of the Barnabas Performance Center. Pretty good crowd. Probably more folks than at Court Club meetings. Very nice spread of food, free t shirts and interesting talk by Coach Washington. Talked about how she recruited coaching staff, getting used to Jersey, etc. Coaches walked around and talked to folks
It was a great event!

Reactions: RUClassof67
God Bless Coach Washington for having the guts to take on this mess. I put the wins over under at 5. If she beats that erect a statue to her outside the Center. Good luck coach

I will be there Coach and can’t wait to see your up tempo offense regardless how many players we have.

This will be a transision year because of the late hiring of the coaching staff.At the same time games must be played and 8 players isn't enough with a schedule of around 30 games.There has to be a few players in the portal that can fill the one year need to even have competitive practice scrimmages.Next years recruiting must bring in difference maker talent or Rutgers will be mired at the bottom of the Big Ten for three consecutive seasons.

Coach said she’ll take on some walk-ons to fill out the roster. This year will be interesting. That’s being kind.

ADVERTISEMENT