ADVERTISEMENT

Season ticket numbers

Well that was a depressing read, but expected. Guess for the ones that show up, they'll be more elbow and leg room. Soon I'll have a Row to myself. Regardless, Support the Team!

Reactions: ChasRC69
I don't think the drop in revenue mentioned in this article also includes the decrease in ancillary revenues such as parking and concessions. Also, the ticket sales have gone down with a better schedule. All in all this points to penny wise and pound foolishness by not cutting their losses after last season.

It's worth noting that the 64% renewal rate is nearly identical to the results obtained in our unofficial poll.

were you able to figure out from the un-official poll how many people kept their tix but dropped the number of tickets?

Very factual article.

Wow. Brutal stats. Love how they also included the fact they Rutgers announced attendance of 37k last year but got just 20k on average in actual attendance.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The staff may outnumber the attendees, but still 2 minutes into the game the throngs will descend into the Fat Cat sections, including the fans of that day’s opponent.

At this point Rutgers really does not have any choice whatsoever, if Ash fails to make a bowl game it will cost the school MORE to keep him than it would to just cut their losses and hire a new HC that will automatically get the fan base excited and give season ticket sales a nice big bump (at least in the short term, unless the new HC turns things around then it will become long term and finally actual sale out again.

Ash making a bowl game means that the painful rebuild is finally over and we can be a bowl team again and the excitement will return and tickets sales will start going up again.

Another losing season and tickets sales and merch sales will get EVEN WORSE next year and that is all will be the end of that, there is no coming back for Ash he will be a lost cause, Rutgers will no longer be able to afford to keep him!

Rutgers gave Ash 4 years to turn it around, NO ONE could ever say Rutgers didn't give him enough time and every chance to succeed. More money for coaching staff, brand new training room, state of the art outdoor practice fields and now brand new high end locker rooms.

The next HC will have a much easier time turning things around as long as they get a good one.

Last edited:
Very factual article.

Wow. Brutal stats. Love how they also included the fact they Rutgers announced attendance of 37k last year but got just 20k on average in actual attendance.
Those 2 numbers will probably be a lot closer this year. Both will be small and pathetic, but closer.

Losing 6,124 fans from 22,709 is not a little bit. It has now become a money game. It's costing Rutgers more to retain Ash than just to fire him. Over a season you're looking at a $4mil to $5mil loss in revenue. Hobbs gambled the fan base would stick around and lost. This is turning into quite the expensive lesson for Hobbs on Rutgers dime.

Last edited:
Taking info from Sarge's Graph, here are the ticket and dollar losses (assigning a value of $50/season ticket X 7 home games) since Ash started coaching at RU:
Loss of Tickets from Previous Season:
2017 - 4,466 (4,466 cumulative) $1,563,000 lost revenue
2018- 1,103 (5,569 cumulative) $1,949,150 lost revenue
2019- 6,124 (11,693 cumulative) $4,092,550 lost revenue

Total lost ticket revenue under Ash $7,604,700
That number is fairly conservative, as it does not include parking an concessions.
That figure exceeds Ash's buyout after this season ends. And that does not even take into account that Ash will get a DC job substantially mitigating what he is owed-- that buyout figure will go down by at least $1,500,000.

Taking info from Sarge's Graph, here are the ticket and dollar losses (assigning a value of $50/season ticket X 7 home games) since Ash started coaching at RU:

That number is fairly conservative, as it does not include parking an concessions.
That figure exceeds Ash's buyout after this season ends. And that does not even take into account that Ash will get a DC job substantially mitigating what he is owed-- that buyout figure will go down by at least $1,500,000.

well that's sobering

Reactions: Steve91562
well that's sobering
I provided an analogy in the older season ticket thread.
What Rutgers has effectively done here can be compared to allowing a major roof leak in your house to go unfixed because putting a new roof on the house "cost too much," while allowing the rest of the house and its contents to become damaged beyond repair.
Decisions that are made at Universities are often like this. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Don't forget list donations for folks not needing to stretch to get their parking lots.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm surprised it's that high (I'm in the 36%).

Fair enough. But that’s like projecting that the smart kid with lots of potential but who doesn’t do any of his schoolwork is going to get a D in math. Just because most of us saw this coming doesn’t mean it’s acceptable, even after a 1-11 season. There’s so much Hobbs and RU could have done to limit the drop-off.

Answer this....when have you EVER seen a feature where you can TRADE your season tix seats for another game in the future?

Honestly it's so desperate .... In the interest of confidentially I can't tell you what I was able to negotiate this year.

In practice it will be general admission except for the core sideline seats.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

1*4cm4egyr4GccJQK179uDnQ.jpeg

Anyone here who only buys parking tags on the open market to tailgate, and buys tickets as needed on game day outside the stadium and in the parking lots?

Even being conservative, it’s much worse than that. Don’t forget the seat fee AKA the mandatory donation. I think mine is $185 (EDIT $150) per seat per year, and I’m not at the 50 yard line.

Rutgers announced attendance of 37k last year but got just 20k on average in actual attendance.
Those 2 numbers will probably be a lot closer this year.

FWIW, I’ve always had my extra tix scanned during halftime and know others here do the same. I dropped the extras this year, mostly due to my personal situation, but Chris Ash certainly didn’t help.

Last edited:
Right now,I'm listening to the Mama and the Papas song which has the line"the darkest hour is just before dawn.

Even being conservative, it’s much worse than that. Don’t forget the seat fee AKA the mandatory donation. I think mine is $185 per seat per year, and I’m not at the 50 yard line.

FWIW, I’ve always had my extra tix scanned during halftime and know others here do the same. I dropped the extras this year, mostly due to my personal situation, but Chris Ash certainly didn’t help.
Agreed.
Our per ticket cost in section 107 when you factor in the $150 donation is $76/ticket per game. If you add parking per ticket per game, that bumps the per ticket cost to $82/ticket per game.

Going to guess that the large majority of season tickets are between the 20's in the 100's.

I don't know what the cost is for lower bowl seats on the ends and the seats in the 200's.

But that conservative dollar figure is likely over $10,000,000.

Reactions: ruronny
Answer this....when have you EVER seen a feature where you can TRADE your season tix seats for another game in the future?

Honestly it's so desperate .... In the interest of confidentially I can't tell you what I was able to negotiate this year.

In practice it will be general admission except for the core sideline seats.

season tickets this year can be traded thru RU like a time share. The better game (tOSU) can be traded for any lower game ....and then they have a hierarchy of what level each game is at. You can trade your higher level for a lower level game but not the other way around.

Reactions: NJ Lion
As I said last season when he brought Ash back, Hobbs has now pinned his career to Ash and IMO his job will also be in jeopardy.

The games haven't even started yet. Wait until we're 1-5 again. This board will be in meltdown mode.

Agreed.
Our per ticket cost in section 107 when you factor in the $150 donation is $76/ticket per game. If you add parking per ticket per game, that bumps the per ticket cost to $82/ticket per game.

Going to guess that the large majority of season tickets are between the 20's in the 100's.

I don't know what the cost is for lower bowl seats on the ends and the seats in the 200's.

But that conservative dollar figure is likely over $10,000,000.

we are on the 50 in the upper deck. $150/seat is the fee

As I said last season when he brought Ash back, Hobbs has now pinned his career to Ash and IMO his job will also be in jeopardy.

The games haven't even started yet. Wait until we're 1-5 again. This board will be in meltdown mode.
Minor meltdown and euphoria if they act fast and fire Ash mid-season.
Suggested time frames:

Loss to UMass- fire immediately.
Beat UMass, blowouts (GT 20 points) by Iowa and Michigan and loss to BC, fire after Michigan game.

What do your tickets cost? for the season?
I think season tickets, except for end zone and some other promos like the $150 anniversary (assuming in the end zone too) are $385/seat for the season, or $55 per game. I don't think the upper deck gets a discount unless it's the farthest flanking sections that might.

Hobbs is 100% now further dug in with Ash by bringing him back for another waste of a season.
With the further drop in significant number of season tickets to the Shea era,combined with a soon to be new president,Hobbs has reason to be worried.

I provided an analogy in the older season ticket thread.
What Rutgers has effectively done here can be compared to allowing a major roof leak in your house to go unfixed because putting a new roof on the house "cost too much," while allowing the rest of the house and its contents to become damaged beyond repair.
Decisions that are made at Universities are often like this. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Well they could have just shrink wrapped the roof. I know this guy who did just that on his chimney.:Wink:

I think season tickets, except for end zone and some other promos like the $150 anniversary (assuming in the end zone too) are $385/seat for the season, or $55 per game. I don't think the upper deck gets a discount unless it's the farthest flanking sections that might.
Found it:
104, 106, 125, 126 127, 103, 107, 124, 128, 102, 108, 123, 129--$385/ticket plus $150donation ($250 in 104, 105, 106, 125, 126, 127)
101,109,122, 130, Upper Level Center --$350/ticket- plus $50 or $150 donation
End Zone- $280/ticket plus $25/donation
Upper Level Outer- $315/ticket plus $25 donation
Upper Level Corners- $210/ticket plus $25 donatin

Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT