ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Renewals, Redux

I agree with number 2, Ash and Hobbs have been saying all along this we a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Firing him after three years, when most of his players haven't seen the field yet sends a bad message to anyone wanting to ever coach here.

While the results haven't been there on the field, off the field there are improvements to facilities etc that will hopefully make this an easier sell to the next coach.

While I kind of agree, the idea of rebuilds is that you show some general progress towards the goal before years 4 & 5 as opposed to getting further away from it.

While I kind of agree, the idea of rebuilds is that you show some general progress towards the goal before years 4 & 5 as opposed to getting further away from it.

That assumes the coaches know what they’re doing. This coach didn’t know what he was doing, hence the longer timeframe.

Reactions: BlockR
It's not sad. It's the reality of having a couple of really bad seasons. Some are hanging in for reasons stated, and others have decided to bail. Fans will be back if the team starts winning again. Purdue saw this when Brohm took over. All is not lost.
Disagree.. It is sad.

While the mood inside the stadium was awful after Shea and in GS' early years... and in GS year 3 there were some very vocal critics.. but enough people saw what was going on.. saw improvements here and there... saw the method in the madness.

This is not the same thing.. perhaps because we play in the Big Ten East.. but there are big issues AND the price of attending is high. Where are Rutgers fans to look for hope?

Greg Brown is one of the members of Rutgers' BOG. As such he has a vote in hiring/firing/extending the University President. As a member of the BOG and chair of the Athletic Committee, he also has a very loud voice in recommending who should be Athletic Director or Head Coach. But he should not be making those hiring decisions. The President should hire the AD, and the AD should hire the coaches.
While true... the Prez failed to hire a qualified AD.. the AD failed to hire a qualified head coach.. and the lawyers failed to constrain his contract properly... while both AD and HC have the same agent.

How could Greg Brown, or the BOG as a whole, do any worse?

It's not sad. It's the reality of having a couple of really bad seasons. Some are hanging in for reasons stated, and others have decided to bail. Fans will be back if the team starts winning again. Purdue saw this when Brohm took over. All is not lost.

A couple of bad seasons is fine with me, provided there are clear signs of improvement and reason for optimism on the horizon. I have seen now several bad seasons (11-37 over the last 4) and see no reason to expect this coming year will change that trend.

Barchi wants the RU Boosters to pay for coaches buyouts and any premium costs to hire the next HC.

Accepting that financial role gives the boosters a seat at the table with the AD when hiring the next HC imo.

That’s why Tennessee boosters went ballistic when the AD excluded them from the HC selection process and tried to hire Greg. I’m sure the UT boosters wanted anyone except the guy the AD chose.
The obvious downside is that you run the risk the booster makes a self serving choice (is corrupt). I believe when I attended UNC and Mack brown was hired the rams club was certainly represented one way or another but I remember at least one student leader was on that committee. They made a pretty good choice as brown had been called "the future of college football".

The obvious downside is that you run the risk the booster makes a self serving choice (is corrupt). I believe when I attended UNC and Mack brown was hired the rams club was certainly represented one way or another but I remember at least one student leader was on that committee. They made a pretty good choice as brown had been called "the future of college football".
Not a bad example..

When Barchi was considering hiring Hobbs as AD.. from whom did he get input? Did anyone warn him about hiring someone with no football experience AND no Big Ten (or big conference) experience and with limited AD experience?

ANYONE?

When Hobbs was hiring Ash.. did anyone warn him about hiring someone with no head coaching experience?

Anyone?

I would imagine a more open committee process who are given the confidence to speak freely might have produced such warnings. What is done with those warnings is another issue.

Back in November we did a poll. The results were collected. If you participated, where do you stand now?

Not on the original list, but you can add me to the list:

Had 6 - 3 and 3 for a friend
reducing to 4. 2 and 2 for a friend.

... hence the... inability to show any general progress.
Hence its a huge waste of time and money keeping him another year to drag the program even further down.
Do Barchi and or Hobbs even care?
Dont forget Hobbs was a 'gift' from Christie to 'straighten' the mess out caused by Flood and Hermann.
boy..has this ever gone sideways.
I have this question:
Gregg Brown has learned ALOT from the Schiano days.
Does anyone think Gregg Brown, a CEO of a multi million dollar company,couldnt hire a search firm himself,get input from other connections he surely has from being involved in athletics this long,and not come up with a better candidate then Hobbs did?
Barchi(and Hobbs?) seems to be one of the main stumbling blocks here in not allowing Brown to take control.for football.
Hobbs has hard enough time hiring,and overseeing a HC for Olympic sports.

Last edited:
Here,fan favorite Dan Duggan asks about Hobbs lack of experience and knowledge about running a football program back when he was hired.Dec 2015!
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...s_from_rutgers_ad_pat_hobbs_introductory.html

1. Hobbs says his lack of football experience shouldn't be a concern :scream:

Hobbs has an impressive resume: Dean of Seton Hall's law school, two years as Seton Hall's interim athletic director, independent ethics ombudsman to Gov. Chris Christie . But there's a major hole in Hobbs' resume that's impossible to ignore, especially as he sets out to hire a new football coach in his first week on the job: He doesn't have any football experience.

Reactions: Plum Street
hahha..sure Pat! thats why in Dec of 2018 youand/or Barchi told Brown NO when money was raised to can Ash!
"Hobbs will lean heavily on board of governors chairman Greg Brown and committee on intercollegiate athletics chairman Ken Schmidt, as well as "a few friends in the sports business right now who I trust their counsel on coaches.""

Here,fan favorite Dan Duggan asks about Hobbs lack of experience and knowledge about running a football program back when he was hired.Dec 2015!
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...s_from_rutgers_ad_pat_hobbs_introductory.html

1. Hobbs says his lack of football experience shouldn't be a concern :scream:

Hobbs has an impressive resume: Dean of Seton Hall's law school, two years as Seton Hall's interim athletic director, independent ethics ombudsman to Gov. Chris Christie . But there's a major hole in Hobbs' resume that's impossible to ignore, especially as he sets out to hire a new football coach in his first week on the job: He doesn't have any football experience.

Yeah, but it was ignored. I even ignored it , mostly because I thought the new AD couldn’t hire worse than flood. Then I remember that fateful Saturday in December 2015 and I had to come to this board to post “ash will get us smashed.”

Fyi...4 is not a couple. 2 would be.

Reactions: Local Shill
Renewing at least 10 of 14, but one guy who has been doing 4 tix to 4 games each for several years (and we fill in with a few other part timers) might be relocating for work, which would likely mean we'd drop to 12, as my guess is we wouldn't have enough part-timers to fill 4 tix. I think we'd try hard to keep the 12 even if we have to eat a few tickets, just so we can keep the 3 yellow lot passes. No issue with interest at all, which is surprising for me, as I'm a fanatic and have a hard time with the losing after what Schiano built - most of our ticket-mates probably are in it more for the camaraderie and tailgates.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not on the original poll but I’m still undecided. We have 8 tix and have been season ticket holders since 04. It will be a reduced amount if we renew at all.

I finally called last week to place my reduced ticket order (spent $2850 in tickets/passes/donations last year, this year's bill was $1060).

I was surprised that there was very little reaction to cutting the order and no attempt to either get information behind the reduction or try to resell me on the idea of not cutting.

I don't know if they are running into so many reduced orders they have stopped trying, or if it is just a function of the huge turnover issue with the ticket agents mentioned in other threads (and I just happened to have an agent who doesn't give a crap at this point).

I finally called last week to place my reduced ticket order (spent $2850 in tickets/passes/donations last year, this year's bill was $1060).

I was surprised that there was very little reaction to cutting the order and no attempt to either get information behind the reduction or try to resell me on the idea of not cutting.

I don't know if they are running into so many reduced orders they have stopped trying, or if it is just a function of the huge turnover issue with the ticket agents mentioned in other threads (and I just happened to have an agent who doesn't give a crap at this point).

Honestly, ticket sales for RU doesn't seem like the sort of job that one is going to remain super engaged in long term. It's like expecting stellar customer service at Taco Bell, it might happen, but probably not.

Honestly, ticket sales for RU doesn't seem like the sort of job that one is going to remain super engaged in long term. It's like expecting stellar customer service at Taco Bell, it might happen, but probably not.

Ironically, both products leave you wanting to go to the bathroom after you're done.

Reactions: RUsSKii and BlockR
I feel that Hobbs is very good at the moment, but for the time it was needed, and even though I feel he put basketball on the back burner, Big Bob has been the best AD Rutgers has ever had. He recognized that football drove the money bus and he gave Greg everything he needed, including the Stadium expansion, and the bubble. So to call Hobbs the best ever, to me is really a revisionist point of view, and I seem to remember people being so upset with Bob being shown the door that petitions were being passed around to save him.

When I went through the renewal process, and I elected to upgrade my parking, my ticket rep said I could make the jump to Purple without a larger donation "with the purchase of another seat". Nice try, hotshot.

That assumes the coaches know what they’re doing. This coach didn’t know what he was doing, hence the longer timeframe.
he could get another decade long extension and still not reach 500..it was time to go in another direction last December,now we have to suffer through another waste of a season under Asherror.

I feel that Hobbs is very good at the moment, but for the time it was needed, and even though I feel he put basketball on the back burner, Big Bob has been the best AD Rutgers has ever had. He recognized that football drove the money bus and he gave Greg everything he needed, including the Stadium expansion, and the bubble. So to call Hobbs the best ever, to me is really a revisionist point of view, and I seem to remember people being so upset with Bob being shown the door that petitions were being passed around to save him.
Without Bob, there's no Greg and without both of them, there's no Pandemonium in Piscataway or stadium expansion or B1G invite. So Bob gets the nod as best AD at RU, even if he neglected other sports for the most part. Pernetti was the worst (Flood and Rice, nuff said; not fumbling the B1G invite only gets him minor points). Julie was ineffective. And Hobbs seems pretty good so far, except for the Ash hire, which he needs to rectify this year if we are bad again, as expected. Fred was horrible as we all know and that's where my AD knowledge ends...

That's interesting. You seem to be the exception to the rule.
I also got multiple emails and 1 or 2 calls.
when its not fun anymore, its easy to not make time, some on this board think we have to have a lifelong devotion to a school that has pissed away our money and support for years with terrible decision making. People will come back when they believe that the program is on the right path..ie hoops...not one who is not a shill believes in Ash
I believe the term you're looking for is fairweather fan...
If that were the case, how did the B10 expect us to catch up when we are getting $20 million less than everyone else in conference distributions
They never did. They wanted our TV $.
And that my good man is the $20M question.

I think some of those B1G people on the initial visit might have made an assumption on their part before they even got here.

Or we just lied. LOL
B1G truly didn't do its homework if they were surprised by the state of our "facilities" until they showed up for a tour.
RU should have dumped a huge chunk of money as an investment in facilities, coaches, etc. for entering the Big 10. Then, they could have worked towards budget neutrality when the bigger money rolled in. Good leadership would have done this regardless of the blowback.
Of course. And I was yelling this on here for years, just ask @RUskoolie. I was begging for us to borrow to try to catch up.
and I stick by what I was told by persons close to program,I posted this on here also:
A group of boosters(last December) with real money approached Gregg Brown,offering to buy Ash out..
Hobbs came back with the answer.."not at this time"..
Did it come from Barchi,or Hobbs being stupid and stubborn?
Dont know..but think about that when you are sitting there suffering thru another season this year.And ask:
So do Barchi and Hobbs Care?
Seems others heard as $ was not there.
I can see Ash stumbling into a bowl game in 2020 at 6-6 and then winning 4 or 5 games in 2021 infront of an average crowd of 24k and finally being fired.

I am terrified of Hobbs being able to hire another FB coach. Money was apparently there, Greg was knocking on the door and Pat said no. He has put the football program in a no win situation with that contract and with a coach who is horrible on gameday. Even our “close” losses last year were never remotely competitive. Down 17 to Indiana, down 24 to Wisconsin, down 20 to Pedo St. Horrible.
Others heard GS wasn't interested.

Reactions: redking
Generally agree, except that the Bubble has been there since the Dick Anderson era.
Replaced at least twice. But it's been there a long time.

Reactions: RUnTeX
he gave Greg everything he needed, including the Stadium expansion, and the bubble.

Definitely not the bubble, it's been there since Freddy G was AD.

Generally agree, except that the Bubble has been there since the Dick Anderson era.
Replaced at least twice. But it's been there a long time.

I want to say mid-80s, maybe 1984 or 85 was the original. I was thinking maybe Dick made demands for facility improvements upon his hiring if he got the original Hale Center in '84(?) as well but if both of them were completed in time for the '84 season, Dick's first, they were already planned and underway when Burns was still the HC in '83.

The bubble was quite revolutionary for its time and also had the long-standing claim of being the largest fully air-supported structure in the world. The NY Giants used to come down to Piscataway to practice indoors during inclement weather well into the 90s until they built their own bubble at the Meadowlands, I think sometime in the early 00s.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Definitely not the bubble, it's been there since Freddy G was AD.

I want to say mid-80s, maybe 1984 or 85 was the original. I was thinking maybe Dick made demands for facility improvements upon his hiring if he got the original Hale Center in '84(?) as well but if both of them were completed in time for the '84 season, Dick's first, they were already planned and underway when Burns was still the HC in '83.

The bubble was quite revolutionary for its time and also had the long-standing claim of being the largest fully air-supported structure in the world. The NY Giants used to come down to Piscataway to practice indoors during inclement weather well into the 90s until they built their own bubble at the Meadowlands, I think sometime in the early 00s.
Giants have brick and mortar indoor now.
Timex.ashx

It’s still pretty big for what it’s used for.

And I still think it’s bigger than many realize.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Had 4 tickets for about 12 years. Went to 2 tickets 2 years ago. Renewed my 2 but going to drop from blue to purple to save my donation costs. Kept my seat backs for what it’s worth.

If they brought in some better soft pretzels I would be all in...

ADVERTISEMENT