ADVERTISEMENT

Selling improved facilities to recruits

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
The albatross around the neck of the basketball program will be gone soon. It looks like the staff is selling the vision because the plans and funding are actually in place or very close. Recent visitor George Baker provides some insight from a recruits perspective.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...es-visits-by-baker-alvarado-francis/182830572

Baker was especially impressed by the renovation plans for the RAC and the basketball facilities.

"I actually got to see the blueprints of the new practice facilities," he said. "There's going to be two courts, one for the boys' side, one for the girls' side. They're completely renovating the weight room. They're making it a lot bigger. They're going to have a whole new film room and it just looks great."

Baker said he was told the renovation is an "18-month process."

18 months in planning, who knows how long it will take? A kid starting in Sep 17 might see it done by his junior year, hopefully. But with funding in process, it is a whole lot easier to sell than no plan at all.
TL

18 months in planning, who knows how long it will take? A kid starting in Sep 17 might see it done by his junior year, hopefully. But with funding in process, it is a whole lot easier to sell than no plan at all.
TL

3 years away ? :rolleyes:

The albatross around the Rutgers mens basketball program has been the inability to successfully compete against league competition especially on the road.The lack of a practice facility is part of the problem in recruiting but far more important is the fact the talent was more MAC level than the Big East or B1G Ten.Its really difficult to overcome perception when top tier recruits have so many other choices locally and nationwide that are successful.

It helps, no doubt, but we simply have to build the program and develop players the correct way so recruits are confident that they will become better players and have a chance to succeed during their time here. We're late to the facilities party, so the staff won't be able to win many recruiting battles based solely on that. Where we have plans, a rival program already has a brand new facility.

The staff is going to need to rely on their past experience and success developing players and their vision for recruits going forward. Based on what I have read so far, I'm confident this staff can do this.

It helps, no doubt, but we simply have to build the program and develop players the correct way so recruits are confident that they will become better players and have a chance to succeed during their time here. We're late to the facilities party, so the staff won't be able to win many recruiting battles based solely on that. Where we have plans, a rival program already has a brand new facility.

The staff is going to need to rely on their past experience and success developing players and their vision for recruits going forward. Based on what I have read so far, I'm confident this staff can do this.

We're also behind the team camp game. Team Rio was at Maryland's camp this weekend. St. John's hosted dozens of talented prospects from the area. Rutgers has to turn it around with transfers, jucos and Jordan recruits, then somehow convince players they can win in the Big Ten starting at the bottom of the conference.

This is a significant build.

We're also behind the team camp game. Team Rio was at Maryland's camp this weekend. St. John's hosted dozens of talented prospects from the area. Rutgers has to turn it around with transfers, jucos and Jordan recruits, then somehow convince players they can win in the Big Ten starting at the bottom of the conference.

This is a significant build.

YES, and I know everyone is excited about all the offers going out, but, I always think back to what Pikiell said, he will build it with "under the radar kids looking to embrace the challenge that the staff can coach up". With that said....hopefully, Hobbs and Knight can get a few surprises in 2017.

Last edited:
It is about so much more than just impressing recruits. It is also about the morale of the staff and the entire athletic department. Imagine how much it sucks for our staff to go to away games and see how our facilities are so inferior to our peers. The lack of spending on our bball facilities has been an institutional disgrace for a long time. Getting this project underway means everything to RU and its athletic department. The fact that Pat Hobbs is able to get this done despite Barchi still being in place is a huge testament to Hobbs. When and if he gets a supportive President, things may really take off.

TL
Just wondering where did you get these time frames? I've never seen or heard anyone give an 18 month planning stage till build. Or that it would take 18 months to complete after that. I don't think RU is 3 years from completion. While funding is almost secured, I'm sure the planning is being completed. Hobbs is not running things like past incompetent ADs. Sorry but your still in the mind set of Same Old Rutgers. I doubt they're going to sit on over $54 mil for 3 years. Those tax credits do expire at some point in time.

Reactions: winRU and Scangg
I read that funding was at the midway point-----still a ways to go.
That's for all three phases of the R Build. Do you really think Phase I a practice facility for just basketball, wrestling and volleyball is going to cost a $100 million. I know NJ is expensive but common, use a little common sense here. Hell what we're building here would probably cost a third of that out in Indiana.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Not going to be 18 months in planning. Most likely is a canidate for a design - build project.

I think its synergistic......upgrades in one sport are advantageous to the entire sports program'
it shows Rutgers cares about sports
and......project by project...as we can
we are getting things done

I think the general "energy" we are projecting to anyone even casually keeping track is
Rutgers is on the rise....

That's for all three phases of the R Build. Do you really think Phase I a practice facility for just basketball, wrestling and volleyball is going to cost a $100 million. I know NJ is expensive but common, use a little common sense here. Hell what we're building here would probably cost a third of that out in Indiana.

Hobbs has said that the plan for the new BB/other facility is a go and is no longer waiting on any additional funding.

Actually you need to complete the BB facility and the Lacrosse facility first before you can fix the Hale center as all of the teams in the Hale center need somewhere to go. They have enough money th start both projects with the expectation that the will raise the money by the time they are completed.

Actually you need to complete the BB facility and the Lacrosse facility first before you can fix the Hale center as all of the teams in the Hale center need somewhere to go. They have enough money th start both projects with the expectation that the will raise the money by the time they are completed.
There is also a time limit on the tax credits. The hoops (etc.) facility will be built first as it is the priciest.

I feel like if they have 80% of the funds they should go ahead which by my calculations would be 48 mil for the BB and 8mil for lax/Soccer which I think they already have

Plans are just plans. Recruits want the new facilities for themselves. This has to be at least 2 years from the moment they start digging. That's minimal.

ADVERTISEMENT