ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Chris Carlin Leaving SNY

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Taking an afternoon radio gig in Philly. (WIP)

Sure sounds like he's setting himself up to take over for Francesa next year. Interesting.

I think Francesas spot is going to Christie ... perhaps Carlin and Christie will be a team like Mike and the Maddog

Don't love him as a play by play guy but he should be great at this.

Very talented guy. Hope it works out in Philly and he comes back as THE guy at WFAN...home run for everybody: Chris, us and Rutgers.

I could see Adam Schein in Francesa's spot eventually (don't know his contract status). He's pretty entertaining IMO and was at WFAN previously. Could he team up with Carlin? Would be refreshing to have hosts that actually like their callers.

Reactions: Howie'81
WOW. nice to have the voice of Rutgers football infiltrating the South Jersey/SE PA area.
My thought process as well. Philly/South Jersey/SE PA needs more RU friends in the media down here. And he isn't nearly as obnoxious as Angelo Cataldi on the WIP morning show.

Not a good development for WIP, which has had some issues with that afternoon drive spot the past few years since Anthony Gargano's departure. I know a lot of you are fond of Carlin because of his role with RUFB, but as a host, I think he stinks. Mike Misanelli on The Fanatic will be happy, though. I wonder if Carlin will fall for Missanelli's baiting of him?

Not a good development for WIP, which has had some issues with that afternoon drive spot the past few years since Anthony Gargano's departure. I know a lot of you are fond of Carlin because of his role with RUFB, but as a host, I think he stinks.

Easily better than Josh Innes. Win/win :grimace:

Philly is Eagles centric. Not sure if college football will come up a lot down there. Really hoping he get's Mike's job up here on the FAN.

Anything is better than that Josh Innis who was fired. I like what they've been doing on the drive time time since he was fired Jody Mac/ Glenn Macnow and a few days of King Howard Eskin.

Problem is you are up against Philly guy Mike Missinilli over at 97.5 ESPN radio. Mikey Miss is all about Philly and has a long history on talk radio.

I like Carlin, but he is not a Philly guy, and I would have doubts he could connect. But I wish him luck, he is a good guy.

Philly is Eagles centric. Not sure if college football will come up a lot down there. Really hoping he get's Mike's job up here on the FAN.
Most likely he's biding his time to potentially take the Fat Man's job on WFAN. Can't hurt to gain a bit of a following on the South side of the state and Philly.

This is a good point. Temple got some good run last year, but they had to beat State Penn, be 8-0 and almost knock off Notre Dame. This year, when they might actually be better by November, but the season has unfolded much differently, they don't get a word. It's all Eagles, all the time, unless the Phillies are a legitimate World Series contender. Then it's only 70-30 Eagles... in August.

Anything is better than that Josh Innis who was fired. I like what they've been doing on the drive time time since he was fired Jody Mac/ Glenn Macnow and a few days of King Howard Eskin.

Problem is you are up against Philly guy Mike Missinilli over at 97.5 ESPN radio. Mikey Miss is all about Philly and has a long history on talk radio.

I like Carlin, but he is not a Philly guy, and I would have doubts he could connect. But I wish him luck, he is a good guy.
For those of you who are craft beer addicts like myself in South Jersey/Philly area, Glenn Macnow partially controls Conshohocken Brewery in Southeast PA. Conshy Brewery has been hitting it out of the park for the last year and a half or so.

Reactions: TM514
WIP will mention Temple Football sometimes. WIP is all Philly sports, mostly Eagles talk as an earlier poster stated.
ESPN 97.5, Gargano and Mikey Miss talk college more frequently as well as non-PHilly teams sometimes, probably b/c ESPN pushes the college and national sports scene.

WIP will mention Temple Football sometimes. WIP is all Philly sports, mostly Eagles talk as an earlier poster stated.
ESPN 97.5, Gargano and Mikey Miss talk college more frequently as well as non-PHilly teams sometimes, probably b/c ESPN pushes the college and national sports scene.
And right now everyone in Philly sports talk radio is obsessing over Wentz vs. Prescott Round I. Many people think this could be a decade long rivalry if the Eagles/Cowboys don't screw it up.

I don't expect Carlin to start talking RU football on WIP but a few mentions here and there can do nothing but help the program. Perhaps Ash shows up from time to time on the program similar to the way Rhule is on WIP and/or WPEN from time to time.

Can't see this as a long term move as he's not a "Philly guy".

Any little Rutgers plugs will be nice but as discussed WIP hardly ever talks college with 97.5 covering some Temple/Penn state here and there.

Heard the talk of Cristie to the FAN - however very likely improbable. More likely he winds up on Fox News and misinformation.
I know Politi put out an article on it last time he filled in for Boomer but it makes absolutely no sense to me.

So Carlin bailed on RU basketball..and XM radio..
anyone know what his contract is for Rutgers football? Hopefully he stays on for Football.

Don't love him as a play by play guy but he should be great at this. Very talented guy. Hope it works out in Philly and he comes back as THE guy at WFAN...home run for everybody: Chris, us and Rutgers.

That would be good for everyone all around. I also hope they reach out to Jody McDonald for any of the upcoming, high profile slots at WFAN. Always enjoy him whenever and wherever he pops up on sports talk radio.

... WIP hardly ever talks college with 97.5 covering some Temple/Penn state here and there.
Harry Mayes actually posts on the Temple football board once in a while. he and Rob Ellis are both alums, so when it's justified, they'll set the Eagles aside for a few minutes and talk some Owls. It's a nice break from Eagles 24/7.

One thing I'd like more of in Philly is Flyers talk. For a team that's been stuck in neutral for a while, they seem to be one of the most loyal fanbases in the NHL.

Carlin would certainly be far superior to Benigno as Francesa's eventual replacement. Besides being good for RU, I wouldn't have to change the channel to avoid the "bro, bro, bro, Mets, Mets, Mets, bro, bro, bro Jets, Jets, Jets."

Reactions: SHUSource
As opposed to up here where they talk jets mets and knicks
Mike has a college football guest on every Friday. Also he will entertain calls on the subject. Not so much in Philly and I was down there for years. Even when the Phils are good, its pretty much all Eagles all the time.

Carlin would certainly be far superior to Benigno as Francesa's eventual replacement. Besides being good for RU, I wouldn't have to change the channel to avoid the "bro, bro, bro, Mets, Mets, Mets, bro, bro, bro Jets, Jets, Jets."
Is that one of those "Signs of the Apocalypse" things we read about?

Guy is a total moron. How he gets paid to do what he does I'll never understand. On second thought maybe I'm the moron then? LOL

Harry Mayes actually posts on the Temple football board once in a while. he and Rob Ellis are both alums, so when it's justified, they'll set the Eagles aside for a few minutes and talk some Owls. It's a nice break from Eagles 24/7.

Do they ever mention the fact that one of their trustees is a serial rapist? EVERY coach at TU knew in 2004 and did nothing. 10 years later Cosby was still giving commencement. TU is still honoring him to this day.

ADVERTISEMENT