ADVERTISEMENT

Semi OT: Good vs Well

ScarletCrimson

All American
Sep 8, 2009
www.sam-lee.org
Drives me nuts to read current, former, or prospective players say the following:

"Rutgers played good."
"We played good."

Well! Well! Well! Todderick, you should take this one head on and fix it.

How about "can" and "may"?
Listening to the majority of players in football and basketball is like somebody scratching a blackboard (remember them?) and is especially troublesome when you think of them as college students. I selected the two major sports as they are easily the majority of players you get to listen to in interviews. The minor sports seem to have players that are not using English as a second language.

It's definitely not getting better. It used to be confined to the Fla. St.'s of the world. Now it's pervasive.

Some of the names of the players have gotten beyond ridiculous. Texas has a WR whose actual given name is Lil' Jordan.

It's actually more complicated than it seems. Well is an adverb, but can also be used as an adjective (as when it is a predicate adjective).

We say, "The band sounds good."
But we also say, "The band plays well."

The difference has to do with subtle differences between sounds and plays. Sounds is a linking verb and needs something to follow it. Plays is not a linking verb. You could say "The band plays" and that would be a complete sentence. You can't say, "The band sounds."

Well also has special meaning when referring to the four senses.

Spot smells good. (Tells us that Spot has had a bath. Smells is a linking verb here. Focus is on Spot, not his ability to smell, and doesn't refer to his health.)
Spot smells well. (Focus is on Spot and tells us that Spot doesn't smell like he is sick.)
Spot smells well. (Focus is on "smells" and tells us that Spot is a bird dog.)

Me and camden love this stuff.

Surely you know this is a socio-economic dynamic that is not going to be remedied instantly by coaching or tutoring. You recruit athletic skill as the priority, not communication skills, scholastic ability or whether the athlete comes from a home headed by educated parents. "Academic exceptions" are a necessity. The rest of the story.... Knowing the difference between "good" and "well" is hardly the issue.

Yeah, think coaching staff has bigger fish to fry. No one should care about this, ever.

Nothing worse then a bunch of grammar do-gooders.

The missing last word is implied, so I don't see this as entirely awful in informal language.

Rutgers played good football

your/you're
to/too/two
there/their/they're

Always get a chuckle when someone posts "Your stupid"

Using "your" when they mean "you are" is the most frequent error
on these boards.

Well/good is one of my pet peeves too, although with Skillet's post I may have some homework to do. Lie/lay I never got.

giphy.gif

Reactions: RutgersRockies
Spot smells good. (Tells us that Spot has had a bath. Smells is a linking verb here. Focus is on Spot, not his ability to smell, and doesn't refer to his health.)
Spot smells well. (Focus is on Spot and tells us that Spot doesn't smell like he is sick.)
Spot smells well. (Focus is on "smells" and tells us that Spot is a bird dog.)

Me and camden love this stuff.
You guys need to get out more.

Last edited:
Despite the incorrect usage, I feel the word "good" has a stronger connotation then the word "well".

my biggest pet peeve is should of, could of, or would of....should be would have, etc...

your/you're
to/too/two
there/their/they're

Always get a chuckle when someone posts "Your stupid"

Using "your" when they mean "you are" is the most frequent error
on these boards.

Reactions: J.L. Gotrocks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT