ADVERTISEMENT

Several offensive schemes,how many different defensive schemes?

ruready4somefootball

Heisman Winner
Nov 10, 2003
I know you have to coach to your teams talent and personnel, and we've tried so many different offenses over the years. The West Coast, the Spread, the Pro Set and the occasional Wild Cat. How many different types of defensive schemes are there other than the 3-4, or 4-3 ? Those different offenses seem geared to cover either the strength or weakness of the talent or depth in your program,so what can a program like Rutgers run that would be unusual, and take opponents longer to prepare for and possible give Rutgers that much needed edge? I know Texas A&M always called their fan base the 12th man, so maybe we could apply to the NCAA for a 12th man on the field.:Rutgers

I know you have to coach to your teams talent and personnel, and we've tried so many different offenses over the years. The West Coast, the Spread, the Pro Set and the occasional Wild Cat. How many different types of defensive schemes are there other than the 3-4, or 4-3 ? Those different offenses seem geared to cover either the strength or weakness of the talent or depth in your program,so what can a program like Rutgers run that would be unusual, and take opponents longer to prepare for and possible give Rutgers that much needed edge? I know Texas A&M always called their fan base the 12th man, so maybe we could apply to the NCAA for a 12th man on the field.:Rutgers

Rodriguez ran a 3-3-5 at West Virginia. Joe Lee Dunn ran a 4-2-5 at Mississippi State in the 90's. These are more base alignments rather than schemes. For example, the West Coast Offense was a ball control passing offense from the Pro Formation when Walsh ran it. The Run and Shoot is typically executed from a Spread, but you can also have an run option offense from the spread.

Defensive schemes would be a one-gap 3-4 (a typical 3-4 is two gap), deep safety, zone blitz, cover 2, man free, big nickle, robber, etc.

We will see 5 LBs on field this year and we should. It will most likely be on passing downs.

We will see 5 LBs on field this year and we should. It will most likely be on passing downs.
5 linebackers on passing downs? I'd rather see 4 lbs (one being a rush lb) and 4 db types or 3 lbs and 5 dbs types if we're going with an odd front.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT