ADVERTISEMENT

Shack’s 7 keys for BIG season for 2021-2022 Rutgers basketball: “#3: Improved Three point shooting”

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Hey guys

Everyone knows that I think this is OUR year in men’s basketball . I’ll be a little elusive for now on what exactly thsr is until I throw down my “official prediction “

Whether or not you think that’s the case ...I have identified 7 keys to this season for this to be OUR year in hoops.

#3: Improved three point shooting

This one is obvious ...we have been talking about it for years...”Rutgers lacks 3 point shooting “

Well...can it be inproved ?

Some comments
1.) Geo, Ron, Caleb and Paul have each had a season where they hit 35-39% from three. And then mutiple seasons where they were below that. The one common denominator I found was that each of the better years was when they were under the radar (Geo his frosh year playing with Corey; Caleb as a frosh, Paul last year hanging in the corner , and Ron as a soph )

2.) pike has said this is a very good passing team . I can’t stress enough how important ball movement and getting a good pass on time to the open perimeter makes the difference on the quality of the release and the shooting percentage

3.) these four guys are healthy ...and that matters

4.) jaden looks like he can stroke it from the perimeter ...and adding a 5th and 6th guy who can shoot the three ...helps. Hyatt ans mag can shoot it as well

5.) I loved Myles ...but because he was a zero threat on the high pick and roll to catch and shoot ...I can’t tell you how much that hurt the guys on top from getting a clean look when he set a ball screen .everyone over played the ball screen and gambled that They could get rotation in case myles slid to the hoop for the alley oop...and it made getting a cleaner look from the top more difficult. I have a lot of hope that cliff , being a potential credible threat to catch and shoot off the screen and roll ...will force a more honest respect
To the screen and create more looks on top

6.). My single biggest beef with Montez and Jacob was when they went to the hole, there was very little chance they would pass it out to often wide open guys on the perimeter . They would pass to a cutter ...but never opposite to ther perimeter ...and there were plenty of guys open because they attracted attention when they drove ...Way too much head down on the hoop. I am hoping more drives with the intention to kick with this group will get more clean looks. The unselfish talk, if true, will go a long way with this

So ...even without “senioritis” from Geo , or 4th year players Ron and Caleb, I think the ingredients are there to just be a more solid three point shooting team

Target number : 35% as a team (which nationally was 112th....)

Think it can be done

This is college basketball in the year 2021. % higher + more attempts.

I hate the 3 pointer, but realize it is essential to a top 50 offense.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Geo higher rate with Corey might have something also to do with a shorter 3 point line.

You were kind for not posting our returning players and their career numbers.

Hey guys

Everyone knows that I think this is OUR year in men’s basketball . I’ll be a little elusive for now on what exactly thsr is until I throw down my “official prediction “

Whether or not you think that’s the case ...I have identified 7 keys to this season for this to be OUR year in hoops.

#3: Improved three point shooting

This one is obvious ...we have been talking about it for years...”Rutgers lacks 3 point shooting “

Well...can it be inproved ?

Some comments
1.) Geo, Ron, Caleb and Paul have each had a season where they hit 35-39% from three. And then mutiple seasons where they were below that. The one common denominator I found was that each of the better years was when they were under the radar (Geo his frosh year playing with Corey; Caleb as a frosh, Paul last year hanging in the corner , and Ron as a soph )

2.) pike has said this is a very good passing team . I can’t stress enough how important ball movement and getting a good pass on time to the open perimeter makes the difference on the quality of the release and the shooting percentage

3.) these four guys are healthy ...and that matters

4.) jaden looks like he can stroke it from the perimeter ...and adding a 5th and 6th guy who can shoot the three ...helps. Hyatt ans mag can shoot it as well

5.) I loved Myles ...but because he was a zero threat on the high pick and roll to catch and shoot ...I can’t tell you how much that hurt the guys on top from getting a clean look when he set a ball screen .everyone over played the ball screen and gambled that They could get rotation in case myles slid to the hoop for the alley oop...and it made getting a cleaner look from the top more difficult. I have a lot of hope that cliff , being a potential credible threat to catch and shoot off the screen and roll ...will force a more honest respect
To the screen and create more looks on top

6.). My single biggest beef with Montez and Jacob was when they went to the hole, there was very little chance they would pass it out to often wide open guys on the perimeter . They would pass to a cutter ...but never opposite to ther perimeter ...and there were plenty of guys open because they attracted attention when they drove ...Way too much head down on the hoop. I am hoping more drives with the intention to kick with this group will get more clean looks. The unselfish talk, if true, will go a long way with this

So ...even without “senioritis” from Geo , or 4th year players Ron and Caleb, I think the ingredients are there to just be a more solid three point shooting team

Target number : 35% as a team (which nationally was 112th....)

Think it can be done

Remember the line was moved back, and our players' 3P% dropped as a result.

Most sample sizes are relatively low, but here's our 2021-22 squad's production with the current 3pt arc distance::
Harper - 83/254 (.327)
Baker - 72/247 (.291)
McConnell - 24/99 (.242)
Hyatt - 22/85 (.259)
Mulcahy - 30/80 (.375)
Agee - 8/34 (.235)
Palmquist - 2/10
Mag - 1/3
Reiber - 0/3
Jones - 1/2
Omoruyi - 1/2
Miller - 0/0

Overall, that's 244/819 (.298)

Last edited:

Most sample sizes are relatively low, but here's our 2021-22 squad's production with the current 3pt arc distance::
Harper - 83/254 (.327)
Baker - 72/247 (.291)
McConnell - 24/99 (.242)
Hyatt - 22/85 (.259)
Mulcahy - 30/80 (.375)
Agee - 8/34 (.235)
Palmquist - 2/10
Mag - 1/3
Reiber - 0/3
Jones - 1/2
Omoruyi - 1/2
Miller - 0/0

Overall, that's 244/819 (.298)
That’s a nice batting average

I hear you ...

We take about 20 shots a game

35 game season ...700 attempts

30% is 210 made

We shot 31.2% last year (equal to make 218 of 700

35% is 245 made of 700

27 more 3 balls is 81 points or 2.3 ppg

I really think this is doable ...ball movement and passing really makes a difference in a the quality of look from theee ...and I have hope that is what will happen

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Personally, I think .350 is a pipe dream for this season. I'd be pleasantly surprised if this group gets up to .325

Harper: Can improve. He was shooting very well before his knee injury, then that fell off. Was that just a streak, or was that his actual rate when healthy?
Baker: Can improve. Playing on an injured ankle all year.
Mulcahy: Probably already at his ceiling. As he takes more shots, his hit rate will more likely go down than up.
McConnell: The new distance hurts him the most, and I just don't see him hitting at better than .275 for the year from behind the arc. He needs to focus on the midrange, where he is much more consistent.
Hyatt/Agee: Can shoot them, but not really their strength at prior stops.
Jones: Fingers crossed
Others: Fingers crossed

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Harper is healthy.

Geo is healthy, and was practicing from NBA distance over the spring and summer.

Mulcahy can maintain.

Jones is supposed to be a good shooter.

McConnell is healthy.

35 percent or bust!

A lot of our threes are taken in desperation. If we had real sharp shooters they would take shots in the offense and that would improve the % right there.

No way this team shoots .350 from 3 and I’d be very surprised if they shoot 33%. That would mean everyone improves except Mulcahy, and like someone else said, I expect Mulcahy to drop with more shot attempts. Although everyone can improve, shooters are almost always made before college and we don’t have many at all. I have high hopes for Jones.

Last edited:

Hahaha. Oh man you just reminded me of all the dumb "3pt line moving back will be GOOD for Rutgers!!!" posts.
People thought everyone else would regress forever and come back closer to Rutgers' terrible 3pt shooting.

Breaking news: good 3pt shooters adjusted to the deeper line while Rutgers continued to be terrible.

I should try and find that thread.

Reactions: RUChoppin and kcg88
Between Game 4 Syracuse(37.5%) and Game 9 Iowa(39.1%) game(6 gm),
Rutgers shot 56 for 132 42.4%. (4-2) L OSU Iowa, W Purdue 52.4%, @ Md 47.4%

Other 22 games, 116 for 419 27.7%
7 games between 36.4%-43.8% (5-2) L Houston 43.8%, PSU 41.2%
15 games between 10.5%-28.6% (7-8) Clemson 8/30 26.7%, MSU 5/19 26.3%

15 games 20-30 3ptA (9-6) 13%-52.4%
13 games 8-19 3ptA (7-6) 10.5%-47.4%

4 neutral games 23-80
10 Road games 62-200 (85-280)
14 Homes games 87-271

Some of the 3pt numbers for the 2020-21 season. There is no real correlation to you must do this to win all games stat, shoot better you win helps but not guaranteed.

Hahaha. Oh man you just reminded me of all the dumb "3pt line moving back will be GOOD for Rutgers!!!" posts.
People thought everyone else would regress forever and come back closer to Rutgers' terrible 3pt shooting.

Breaking news: good 3pt shooters adjusted to the deeper line while Rutgers continued to be terrible.

I should try and find that thread.

The person it hurt the most was McConnell. He's generally solid out to 15 ft, and had a decent rate at the old 20 ft 9in line. That extra 16.75 inches has clearly taken him outside his comfortable range.

Baker's rate has dropped, but he's also dealt with injuries a bit the last couple of years, so curious what he can do fully healthy as 5th year player.

Harper has actually been better at the new distance (83/254; 32.7%) than the old (30/108; 27.8%)

The biggest opportunity for lift at the 3P line are guys who took 0-10 attempts last year. What will Jones/Miller shoot, and how often will they pull the trigger? Will Palmquist get more looks, and can he knock them down? What does Mag look like from range? Does Omoruyi actually have a shot, and will we see him make any amount of meaningful attempts?

If Jones/Miller each come in shooting .350+ and Palmquist suddenly starts shooting .350+, we'll be a MUCH better outside shooting team. I just don't see the guys who already have put up a lot of shots suddenly getting much better.

Is it still our year?

Yeah I’ll necro this one as Shack is one of the more belligerent posters around. And I thought it was funny that among the many negative threads around - this is the thread I’m getting recommended.

Is it still our year?

Yeah I’ll necro this one as Shack is one of the more belligerent posters around. And I thought it was funny that among the many negative threads around - this is the thread I’m getting recommended.

Nope it’s not..and if you are keeping track ...everyone of the 7 things that I said had to happen has not

-Rebounding (cost us Lafayette game )
-Foul shooting (Caleb missing one is a big part of costing us this game )
-Theee point shooting (duh)
-15-0 in the games we had to win (we are now 3-3 in those games )
-being prepared being the hunted (we have been upset three times already this year )
-finishing teams off (blew another big lead against Umass)
-scoring draughrs (long ones in each of the three losses)

We are staring at 10-21....especially because we are a bery below average defensively team right now with a coach that specializes in being a defensive and rebounding team

Long winter ahead

ADVERTISEMENT