ADVERTISEMENT

Shakur Juiston - Paterson Eastside/Hutchinson Community College

I could be very wrong here and if I am I apologize but I believe CJ is the only player we lose to graduation after this season. We have a commitment already for next year so I do not think we have the ship to give a juco or a grad transfer for next year. Now, it is possible someone leaves the program and a spot opens up but I think Coach P and his staff are actually concentrating on the 2018 class right now.

I could be very wrong here and if I am I apologize but I believe CJ is the only player we lose to graduation after this season. We have a commitment already for next year so I do not think we have the ship to give a juco or a grad transfer for next year. Now, it is possible someone leaves the program and a spot opens up but I think Coach P and his staff are actually concentrating on the 2018 class right now.
Spots always open up.

Reactions: eja92
Thinking if RU only has one ship available why waste on a JUCO with 2 years eligibility when Pikiell can possibly land a 4 star+ recruit who has 4 years eligibility? The JUCOs name better be Larry Johnson.

According to 247 and ESPN recruiting sites RU has only one commit, Geo Baker, a 2 or 3 star (depends on the site), shooting guard. Coach P described him as his number one priority. I think, unless something opens up and as Mr twister says "spots always open up" I believe Geo is our only recruit for 2017. The 4 stars we were after apparently committed elsewhere.

According to 247 and ESPN recruiting sites RU has only one commit, Geo Baker, a 2 or 3 star (depends on the site), shooting guard. Coach P described him as his number one priority. I think, unless something opens up and as Mr twister says "spots always open up" I believe Geo is our only recruit for 2017. The 4 stars we were after apparently committed elsewhere.

We only have 12 on scholarship this year. So 2 open for next year with CJ leaving. One used on Geo, one still open.

We have one 'ship in addition to Baker. You are allowed 13, we have 12 on the roster and lose Gettys. Two 'ships for '17 class.

A 11/15/16 comment from a Marquette hoops message board (http://www.muscoop.com) on Shakur Juiston ...

"MU may not recruit Shakur Juiston from Hutchinson, but he may be my personal favorite. Watched Hutchinson online last night and the 6-7 215 forward had 12 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists and at least 2 blocks in maybe 18 minutes. Haven't seen many guys in my years who are as good a passers as Juiston from the forward position. He can defend the 2-3-4 positions and is really fun to watch."

Of course, everyone's question here should be "Can he shoot?"

Reactions: RUJMM78
I think you find a PF. Sanders and Johnson are great friends, and I think they would not want to play at different schools.

Geo is a combo guard. Then we have Sanders,Johnson,Williams, Geo. Find a PF.

Did Rutgers get a visit from Shakur Juiston? We should have our foot in the door with Deshawn Freeman connection at Hutchinson CC, Rutgers football staffer Henry Baker's Dad is a legendary hoops coach at Paterson Eastside, Juiston's high school, and family able to make all home games.

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/juc...cle_180586a5-f225-5adc-a746-c4e998866d6d.html

"Hutchinson Community College forward Shakur Juiston became the second player in HCC history to be named the NJCAA Spalding Men’s Division I Player of the Year."

Last edited:
I think his recruitment is about over. It looks like it will be among Iowa State, UNLV, and DePaul. Kansas showed interest but apparently is lukewarm. This is information from the ISU board...

Right now it all points to Iowa State. Rutgers program is not in contention.

Juiston would help, but has a pretty detailed story and preference to not return to a tri-state area program....and Iowa State lives and feeds on JUCO's, it probably is best suited for him to stay focused and in the Midwest, vs the tri-state area here.

Reactions: Ray6232010
As Hawk noted, Juiston's family wants him to stay far away from the NJ/NY area. He will not end up at RU.

Juiston would help, but has a pretty detailed story and preference to not return to a tri-state area program....and Iowa State lives and feeds on JUCO's, it probably is best suited for him to stay focused and in the Midwest, vs the tri-state area here.
Absolutely right about this. Family is from one of the roughest parts of Newark and his mom didn't want him back this way. Had a brother murdered and everything. Glad to see him to do well. My stepfather was involved due to the relationship with his mom and them growing up in the same neighborhood

As an aside, has Rutgers ever had success recruiting Newark athletes? I am assuming Shakur Juiston has a similar game to Newark native Kenneth Faried, who starred at Morehead State.

As an aside, has Rutgers ever had success recruiting Newark athletes? I am assuming Shakur Juiston has a similar game to Newark native Kenneth Faried, who starred at Morehead State.
Corey Chandler was from Newark I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT