ADVERTISEMENT

Shall we dance?

If we add a quality big man to next year’s class (‘19), do we dance in ‘20-‘21?

• Yes

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
If we add a quality big man to the class of ‘19, do we dance in ‘20-‘21?

Not sure we even need another big man for next year. Still bummed we missed on the massoud and Dixon...

I think that next years team will be at least as good as the following year’s team. Thiam and Omoruyi will be huge, massive losses after next year. Harper should be a stud by then so it will hurt less, then you may have to find another starter at the 4, maybe Doucoure. I think we’ll probably play a ton of three guards that year though, with Harper starting at the 4.

I think that next years team will be at least as good as the following year’s team. Thiam and Omoruyi will be huge, massive losses after next year. Harper should be a stud by then so it will hurt less, then you may have to find another starter at the 4, maybe Doucoure. I think we’ll probably play a ton of three guards that year though, with Harper starting at the 4.
Could be, SJ. I wanted to give PM and the proposed big man a second year, but maybe that’s offset by the loss of Gene and Issa. Our 1,2,and 3 spots in ‘20-‘21 should be really good.

Reactions: Scangg
Not sure we even need another big man for next year. Still bummed we missed on the massoud and Dixon...
Half agree, Shack. if not a “quality” big man at least a “serviceable” one. Every time I bring up Luke as a possible contributor I get laughed out, but (from the bits I’ve seen) there’s no reason to assume we cant get 8-10 serviceable minute from him next year and the following.

Could be, SJ. I wanted to give PM and the proposed big man a second year, but maybe that’s offset by the loss of Gene and Issa. Our 1,2,and 3 spots in ‘20-‘21 should be really good.
Yep, one of the top backcourts in the B1G for sure that year. Ridiculous depth and good talent. Harper should be good, just need to build out the front court depth behind Doucoure and Johnson. I could see a juco or transfer for the frontcourt if Pikiell wants more experience there for that season.

Reactions: zebnatto
We are going to be pretty good next year and I think we will surprise some teams this year as the RAC will once again become a very tough place to win. As down as I am about the football team, I’m the complete opposite in hoops. I think it started with hiring a coach who built a program and had to find great assistants, recruit, get kids to practice hard and he’s a helluva coach who changes up defenses and believes in rebounding. Now that we finally have shooters, it can all come together.

There are unanswered questions that I have about the newcomers so once I see them, the picture will get more clear. I know Doorson has changed his body and he’s healthy but he has limitations offensively and on the FT line. We lost games because of missed free throws. So my questions are with Myles Johnson and Shaq Carter, do we have two legit big men? And can Doucore live up to his 4 star rating and make a big jump forward from last season. He looks the part but didn’t play that well last year. He was a young freshman so maybe we will see that growth?

And with McConnell and Mathis, how good are they in shooting. I think they could add a lot especially if teams have to focus on Baker and Kiss? Is Ron Harper in physical shape to play in the Big 10 and is he fast enough to get to open spots and shoot. Thiam had this problem for his first few years. Harper is much stronger but does he have the quickness? And then there’s Eugene? I was really impressed with his growth last year. Does he take the next step in scoring? I’d like to see him post up and go strong to the hoop. I know he’s worked on his outside shot but I think there are better outside shooters and I don’t want waste possessions.

The real key this year could be our defense. With the depth we have I think we could really get opponents out of synch. I’m excited for the season and looking forward to seeing the final spot solidified for 2019. I’m thinking that’s the first year for post season and then we can begin to really rock in 2020.

It really all starts this year so I’m pumped

About a 50/50 chance:

url

Rutgers must first show the ability to have a winning season before any talk about a NCAA bid which will require over 20 wins for consideration.

You have to be able to walk before you can run.

Let’s pump the breaks until we see what we even have here. As I’ve said before, we have six guys who will be asked to contribute significantly that never played a college or big ten game. I’m extremely optimistic but let’s see what we got before we punch our tickets to march madness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT