ADVERTISEMENT

Shame, why did it take so long for Gio to play?

ruready4somefootball

Heisman Winner
Nov 10, 2003
11324884_519865994835883_1448528504_n.jpg

ask Merhinger..hes in over his head..needs some help next year from a proven power 5 OC.

ask Merhinger..hes in over his head..needs some help next year from a proven power 5 OC.
because DM's presence has nothing to do with the continued development of the spread qb left on our roster from the previous regime.

can you people wrap your heads around the fact that this kid may have improved continuously? he wasnt good...like at all..in the spring. takes a giant leap forward in the summer. is it really that hard to wrap your heads around the fact that this kid continued to progress from the summer until now?

oh god! DM in over his head! we were only able to put up 31 points against a 4-2 (now 5-2) big ten opponent who lost to penn state by 3 in happy valley and absolutely demolished maryland last week with their backup qb. get real. we are not getting another OC until DM gets the chance to work with some ACTUAL talent/personnel.

how about some credit to the staff for working with ALL the quarterbacks closely and developing this forgotten one into a serviceable option. i guess thats too much to ask, though.

If I'm the OP I'd ask Gio that question.

Because that is where you'll get your answer.

Reactions: soundcrib
because DM's presence has nothing to do with the continued development of the spread qb left on our roster from the previous regime.

can you people wrap your heads around the fact that this kid may have improved continuously? he wasnt good...like at all..in the spring. takes a giant leap forward in the summer. is it really that hard to wrap your heads around the fact that this kid continued to progress from the summer until now?

oh god! DM in over his head! we were only able to put up 31 points against a 4-2 (now 5-2) big ten opponent who lost to penn state by 3 in happy valley and absolutely demolished maryland last week with their backup qb. get real. we are not getting another OC until DM gets the chance to work with some ACTUAL talent/personnel.

how about some credit to the staff for working with ALL the quarterbacks closely and developing this forgotten one into a serviceable option. i guess thats too much to ask, though.

It's so much easier to complain.

Flood too stubborn to play anyone but Laviano ... Flood is terrible, has to go.

Flood goes, but next coach agrees with Flood, starts Laviano? Maybe the Lynch mob was wrong about him not being the best on the roster? No, new coach is an idiot too.

Ash shows flexibility everyone wanted to see from Flood in playing/developing other qbs. Good news!? No, complain about timing, amount of playing time.

Ash replaces Laviano with a much more exciting option. Celebrate that the team is watchable again? Nah, complain it should have happened sooner.

If only all our coaches were as smart and prescient as our b1tchy fans, we'd have some serious NC metal by now.

Absolutely fantastic, SPOT-ON, post. These people thinking DM is doing a shitty job, and needs a an experienced "consultant" of some sorts, well, they all must have had ridiculously insane 8-win expectations for this season. If Laviana executes 3 different plays against Iowa - EASY plays - we win going away. If we don't turn the ball over 5 times against Illinois, more of the same, and yesterday his playcalling was a B/B+. He's learning, he's getting better, and the move has been made. Unreal some here are being right now.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Didn't see the spring game, but could his performance at all be attributed to his supporting cast? Was he with the 2nd stringers?

I can understand a bad spring performance leaving a player way down the depth chart. And I can see a guy improving as the team goes. But I find it hard to believe that Laviano was better then Gio 4 weeks ago.

Absolutely fantastic, SPOT-ON, post. These people thinking DM is doing a shitty job, and needs a an experienced "consultant" of some sorts, well, they all must have had ridiculously insane 8-win expectations for this season. If Laviana executes 3 different plays against Iowa - EASY plays - we win going away. If we don't turn the ball over 5 times against Illinois, more of the same, and yesterday his playcalling was a B/B+. He's learning, he's getting better, and the move has been made. Unreal some here are being right now.

agree, my only issue with play calling was the reverse in the red zone.

Says the guy who still complains about Flood.

And I don't even mind complaints about Flood. Why can we not talk recent football history? But to complain about Flood, and then say talk about Mehringer should be off limits? Doesn't seem to add up.

And I don't even mind complaints about Flood. Why can we not talk recent football history? But to complain about Flood, and then say talk about Mehringer should be off limits? Doesn't seem to add up.

My complaints about Flood - and others here will back me - didn't begin until late September of his SECOND season. I even ignored the Kent State-Pitt-VTech debacles (when Flood had a D filled with Schiano kids who ended up in the NFL...). So, yeah, I think I'm okay here telling people to relax just a tad for now, with this roster, which was filled by Flood. Kinda makes sense to me lol! [cheers]

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
My complaints about Flood - and others here will back me - didn't begin until late September of his SECOND season. I even ignored the Kent State-Pitt-VTech debacles (when Flood had a D filled with Schiano kids who ended up in the NFL...). So, yeah, I think I'm okay here telling people to relax just a tad for now, with this roster, which was filled by Flood. Kinda makes sense to me lol! [cheers]
But the roster is not that bad.

It's funny how the O-line could not block, and the receivers could not get seperation until Gio got into the game.

And I do understand that those calling for a new OC are crazy. I'm not in that group. So we do need to make the distinction between reasonable criticisms and unreasonable b*tching, but we should be able to talk about why Laviano (or Allen for that matter) was ahead of Gio on the depth chart.

one man was given 4 years and started off with one of schiano's best defenses and an upper classman quarterback (nova was at least average down the stretch). The other just got here into the gigantic shitstorm that is the talent pool left behind by the previous staff.

You realize patton had 1 receiving touchdown all of last year right?...and hes our best remaining wr. The cupboard is beyond bare...its just a hole in the wall at this point.

so yea, maybe we should give one the benefit of the doubt and freely hate on the other one.

im sorry but if you really think the roster isnt that bad like you said in your last post...i really dont know what to tell you and you're probably beyond help at this point. our linebackers are barely fcs level, our wr are a complete and utter joke, our TE's literally get blown up by cornerbacks and cant block OR catch, and our remaining qb's outside of gio who was never going to play under flood are...sad.

Reactions: RedSpartan
You do realize it was because Gio got hurt, and we wanted to run certain things on those plays that Gio couldn't, right?
Yet Gio came in on 3rd down?

I mean does the play calling take precedent over personnel?

Didn't see the spring game, but could his performance at all be attributed to his supporting cast? Was he with the 2nd stringers?

I can understand a bad spring performance leaving a player way down the depth chart. And I can see a guy improving as the team goes. But I find it hard to believe that Laviano was better then Gio 4 weeks ago.

No..Gio was simply awful. Something like 1-8 and the misses were UGLY. I thought he was the best fit and was watching him closely. Dare was way better last spring. You need watch so can contrast THAT Gio to one you saw on Saturday one of the more amazing developments I've ever seen in one season.

Reactions: koleszar
So did Patton go from a good player with potential as a Soph, to a incapable player as a Junior, then even started his senior season as a starter, but now that Gio is in he's a capable receiver again?

Of these only Pitt mattered in the grand scheme of things considering Kent State (rightly or wrongly) was a a teaching moment and had no matter in the BE race.

And as for VT, the guy had just buried his mom that week. I'd be out if it too.

But the roster is not that bad.

It's funny how the O-line could not block, and the receivers could not get seperation until Gio got into the game.

And I do understand that those calling for a new OC are crazy. I'm not in that group. So we do need to make the distinction between reasonable criticisms and unreasonable b*tching, but we should be able to talk about why Laviano (or Allen for that matter) was ahead of Gio on the depth chart.

Disagree about the roster. We have a very serious lack of quality depth at most positions and just plain old depth at others. Are there talented starters? Absolutely. Can they pull off a game or two going out? Sure, no question, but there are ton of holes that need to be filled in the 2nd and 3rd teams.

I was just bustin' the OP's chops about starting this thread, btw, because I knew how some posters would respond re: DM.

Of these only Pitt mattered in the grand scheme of things considering Kent State (rightly or wrongly) was a a teaching moment and had no matter in the BE race.

And as for VT, the guy had just buried his mom that week. I'd be out if it too.

Oh, okay, so the Kent debacle doesn't count because it wasn't a conference game, got it! lol...com'on now! Excuses, excuses, excuses, STILL, for Kyle Flood. Oh well lol....[cheers]

So did Patton go from a good player with potential as a Soph, to a incapable player as a Junior, then even started his senior season as a starter, but now that Gio is in he's a capable receiver again?
patton is average at best. would be nice if he fought for balls consistently. as our top WR though...its a pretty sad state of affairs as far as our talent at the position.

I'll show I'm an equal oppurtunity
Disagree about the roster. We have a very serious lack of quality depth at most positions and just plain old depth at others. Are there talented starters? Absolutely. Can they pull off a game or two going out? Sure, no question, but there are ton of holes that need to be filled in the 2nd and 3rd teams.

I was just bustin' the OP's chops about starting this thread, btw, because I knew how some posters would respond re: DM.
I'm certainly not saying it's stacked, but as we've seen, we can be competitive with the mid level B1G squads.

Gio has obviously been progressing as the season went on in practice and earned playing time. I'm surprised this is so perplexing to people.

Kudos to him as well as the staff for his development.

Reactions: ArminRU
patton is average at best. would be nice if he fought for balls consistently. as our top WR though...its a pretty sad state of affairs as far as our talent at the position.
To be fair, Grant was our best WR. Patton as a #2 is OK. Harris is OK as is Tsimis.

Again I'm not praising the group, but I also don't see a bare cupboard situation.

Lack of QB was another "cupboard is bare" example, but we can go back to OP on this.

Yet Gio came in on 3rd down?

I mean does the play calling take precedent over personnel?

Yes. This is why there are teams that run a 2 QB system.

The football IQ on this forum is about 1st grade level.

Oh, okay, so the Kent debacle doesn't count because it wasn't a conference game, got it! lol...com'on now! Excuses, excuses, excuses, STILL, for Kyle Flood. Oh well lol....[cheers]
Not making any excuses. Just pointing out the Kent Sate game gets way too much play in these arguments.

Pitt? Yeah, huge mistake in not capitalizing on that opportunity.

Gio has obviously been progressing as the season went on in practice and earned playing time. I'm surprised this is so perplexing to people.

Kudos to him as well as the staff for his development.
It is perplexing that Laviano was somehow better then gio 3 weeks ago. I do find that one to be a head scratcher.

Allen getting into games over Gio is another. What exactly did Allen ever do to warrant the #2 spot?

Yes. This is why there are teams that run a 2 QB system.

The football IQ on this forum is about 1st grade level.
So Gio couldn't make that throw to Harris? I guess Im not smart enough to figure that one out.

To be fair, Grant was our best WR. Patton as a #2 is OK. Harris is OK as is Tsimis.

Again I'm not praising the group, but I also don't see a bare cupboard situation.

Lack of QB was another "cupboard is bare" example, but we can go back to OP on this.
yes and we were obviously average/above average at wr with the addition of grant. [eyeroll] tell me...how many career receiving touchdowns does he have? our wide receiver situation was still absolutely terrible even with grant.

I'll answer the questions for you. Janarion grant had exactly 1 receiving TD his ENTIRE 4 year career here. Go look it up. he was an above average scatback and barely an average WR.

harris is a good find but who knows if he'd be here if another school let him play both ways

It is perplexing that Laviano was somehow better then gio 3 weeks ago. I do find that one to be a head scratcher.

Allen getting into games over Gio is another. What exactly did Allen ever do to warrant the #2 spot?

IMHO - No need whatsoever to have Gio start against either OSU or Michigan. None. Okay, maybe we get FG's in each game, or a single TD, but it wasn't going to make much a difference and it wouldn't have done him any good.

So Gio couldn't make that throw to Harris? I guess Im not smart enough to figure that one out.

He can, but so can Oden. Makes sense to keep Oden out there to hurry things up and have the defense anticipate a run.

Not making any excuses. Just pointing out the Kent Sate game gets way too much play in these arguments.

Pitt? Yeah, huge mistake in not capitalizing on that opportunity.

But why? That game was a freakin' disgrace, wouldn't you agree, and on Homecoming no less.

Since we are all here chatting.

What was that between Ash and what looked like an assistant coach in the 4th qtr?

Since we are all here chatting.

What was that between Ash and what looked like an assistant coach in the 4th qtr?
probably asking why our players leftover from flood are so bad at holding their blocks. i agree though...why bother asking when we all know the answer.

But why? That game was a freakin' disgrace, wouldn't you agree, and on Homecoming no less.
I thought the Va Tech game was the worst of em. That game was so winnable with the most obvious of personnel changes.

He can, but so can Oden. Makes sense to keep Oden out there to hurry things up and have the defense anticipate a run.
Yeah, I dunno, the team had finally found it's footing after 4 games of terrible. To then put Oden in to make a throw to the RB?

Didn't like that one at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT