ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq and Eugene named captains

Okay, so are you saying Pikiell shouldn't announce them until the season is over? Like if RU goes 11-20, he should end the Big Ten Tourney press conference with "Oh by the way, here were our captains this year..."?

I didn’t say that. I said let the season play out before we “like” or dislike the announcement. Last I checked they still get to play the games and keep score. Having more points than the the other guys are all that matters to me.

I didn’t say that. I said let the season play out before we “like” or dislike the announcement. Last I checked they still get to play the games and keep score. Having more points than the the other guys are all that matters to me.

It's still nice to honor these guys who seemed to be growing into leaders. It's okay to be happy about things. Really. I don't think captains make the difference between 20-11 and 11-20. Maybe 16-15 vs. 15-16, but it's really okay to enjoy the process.

Both have battled back from injuries and are hard workers that are assuredly going to be excellent leaders well beyond the minutes on the court....I'm fairly confident we will have buy-in from the entire roster for the 1st time in a very long time....

Dave, I know its tough to say at this point in the off-season, but what would you guess is the Starting lineup for this season?

I like the selections. Eugene clearly gonna be the heart of this team with Mike gone. Shaq has endured countless injuries and worked his ass off to get back on the court.

Like noted above Geo will be a captain soon. He is already a fan favorite and represents the school amazingly.

Good luck to these two captains.

I judge a captainship at the end of the season. Let the results do the talking
maxresdefault.jpg

It doesn't work like that in sports.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Two players who are so easy to root for...Eugene is such a hard worker and Shaq has bounced back from nagging foot injuries. Both players are good role models so I can see them developing into good leaders and shining examples for the rest of the players. The success through S&C has prepared them well for this season.

This post is so off the mark wrt team captains, I don't know where to begin...

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
I judge a captainship at the end of the season. Let the results do the talking

This is just a really odd response to a head coach announcing to the fan base the team’s captains for the year. Can you imagine Pike making this announcement to a gathering of season ticket holders, and the first audience member stands up, and gives your response to Pike? Just wierd.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sure, Shaq might not have the best numbers, but Pikiell is giving him this role as a captain because he has stuck with the process of the program, and has put in the effort to rebound from his situation.

Pikiell knows putting a captain like him in place will allow other kids to follow his experience, and not give up on their goals when faced with adversity.

Shaq Doorson and Eugene Omoyuri must feel good about their accomplishment.

Reactions: rubaseball78
It is worth noting that Pikiell made a mistake with his captain's choice a year ago. This won't be one. As others have said I wouldn't be surprised if Baker is a tri captain at some point.

I see that too. By the 1st media timeout it won't look like that.

Good points. I think a question is where the bulk minutes will go.

Too many unknowns to predict that accurately. How is Shaq Carters foot speed at the D1 level? Can Myles Johnson play with an edge to get him 6 rebounds a game? Is Kiss's shot up to speed of the D1 level? Same for Issa.

To me, the only certainty is predicting bulk minutes for Baker and Omoyuri. Even Omoyuri will be tested by Harper Jr if he brings a nicer shot. The rest will probably be players looking at 14-18 mpg spread evenly across their positions.

It will have to be done as a unit. To me, I don't see enough skill at each position to warrant starting jobs, and individuals locking up positions.

That is normally the case at this time for any team across the country,though.

Good points. I think a question is where the bulk minutes will go.

Too many unknowns to predict that accurately. How is Shaq Carters foot speed at the D1 level? Can Myles Johnson play with an edge to get him 6 rebounds a game? Is Kiss's shot up to speed of the D1 level? Same for Issa.

To me, the only certainty is predicting bulk minutes for Baker and Omoyuri. Even Omoyuri will be tested by Harper Jr if he brings a nicer shot. The rest will probably be players looking at 14-18 mpg spread evenly across their positions.
I think Harper starts by challenging Issa, not Eugene. He may grow into a stretch-4, but he's much more of a wing right now. Also, Kiss already showed he can shoot at a D-1 level... maybe you mean Power 5/6 or B1G? He did it against SHU and Gonzaga and has had a year to work on it, but will definitely need to show consistency.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think Harper starts by challenging Issa, not Eugene. He may grow into a stretch-4, but he's much more of a wing right now. Also, Kiss already showed he can shoot at a D-1 level... maybe you mean Power 5/6 or B1G? He did it against SHU and Gonzaga and has had a year to work on it, but will definitely need to show consistency.

Gotcha. I have a hard time saying any freshman will challenge someone in the program for a while. It is hard to make that jump from high school to D1 right away.

Exactly with Kiss. Poor team at a mid major to a P5 team on the rise. How was his 3 pt shot? Pretty low percentage.

That is where I think Kiss and Mathis will separate themselves. Who is the better shooter? I think they are similar players. Competitive, able to rebound, athletic(remember who won the dunk contest last year?), high character, etc.

Reactions: dkostus
Gotcha. I have a hard time saying any freshman will challenge someone in the program for a while. It is hard to make that jump from high school to D1 right away.

Exactly with Kiss. Poor team at a mid major to a P5 team on the rise. How was his 3 pt shot? Pretty low percentage.

That is where I think Kiss and Mathis will separate themselves. Who is the better shooter? I think they are similar players. Competitive, able to rebound, athletic(remember who won the dunk contest last year?), high character, etc.

I think after a year do nothing but practicing, Kiss will be a better shot than Mathis, but I definitely see Mathis starting and probably getting 20/mpg as a Frosh, and Kiss getting 20/mpg, but at both the 2 and 3 (since Geo will get some minutes at the 2 with McConnell in the game as well, even if its just 5/mpg).

Who knows... I can't wait. We're 5 months away and I'm already really excited to see this team

Reactions: higgins3
I think after a year do nothing but practicing, Kiss will be a better shot than Mathis, but I definitely see Mathis starting and probably getting 20/mpg as a Frosh, and Kiss getting 20/mpg, but at both the 2 and 3 (since Geo will get some minutes at the 2 with McConnell in the game as well, even if its just 5/mpg).

Who knows... I can't wait. We're 5 months away and I'm already really excited to see this team

Yes! Good stuff. Let's bring the excitement, and the noise!

If literally nothing else, this announcement ends any speculation about Doorson grad-transferring. Not that there was any talk of it beyond "hey, he's eligible to do this if he wants" but still.

Reactions: higgins3
If literally nothing else, this announcement ends any speculation about Doorson grad-transferring. Not that there was any talk of it beyond "hey, he's eligible to do this if he wants" but still.
I dunno, he could still transfer and be a Captain "in absentia"

Who do you think would be the emergency PG backup if god forbid Geo or Caleb were unavailable?

Purely from on the court stand point Eugene is a perfect candidate, he embodies what a captain should be with the way he plays.

Shaq doesn’t really do much on the court to be a captain but I think he’s the only senior so it makes sense. This team really needs to fill the void of mike Williams and I think a guy like Eugene fits that perfectly

I am not sure the 2 we have are any more point guardish than the others

Caleb Has the most PG skills on the active roster. How it will play at this level is the unknown. That’s why I am a big proponent of a grad transfer PG if one is available.

Reactions: dkostus
We can live without a true PG but the offense is going to have to look very different than it did with Sanders. If we're running the same sets/plays next year that we did last year, we're in trouble.

Caleb Has the most PG skills on the active roster. How it will play at this level is the unknown. That’s why I am a big proponent of a grad transfer PG if one is available.

Not me.

If i am a grad transfer I want to go to NCAA tournament. If i am a grad transfer that thinks i can play for $ after college I might go to Rutgers where i can play 25-30 MPG as a point guard. That would NOT be what is in the best interests of the program.

I am fully expecting to lose a few B1G games solely because we don't have a point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT