ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq Carter - Can he shoot?

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Shaq Carter is one of the intriguing new players this season. He is a big body around the basket and we all expect him to protect the rim, rebound, score on dump off and put backs, but can he shoot the ball at all? Anyone see him play? What is the range on his jumper or is he a strictly in the paint guy?

Shaq Carter is one of the intriguing new players this season. He is a big body around the basket and we all expect him to protect the rim, rebound, score on dump off and put backs, but can he shoot the ball at all? Anyone see him play? What is the range on his jumper or is he a strictly in the paint guy?

From JUCO game footage (not highlights) he didn't really shoot from the outside. He appeared to have decent foul shooting form from the videos. But most of his touches with intent were down low.

One thing to me that stood out was he seemed to always run to a man to box out, didn't really see him ball watching for rebounds. I wouldn't call him a rim protector, more of a rebounder, hopefully it translates at this level.

Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
As far as I know he is a good player for rebounds and put backs. He is supposedly a very strong guy so I don't think he will be taking outside shots.

As far as I know he is a good player for rebounds and put backs. He is supposedly a very strong guy so I don't think he will be taking outside shots.
I agree. I don't think he will be shooting many outside jumpers. I want to know if he can shoot at all to spread the court or if he is a strictly under the basket type. Curious who is the best shooting big out of Shaq Shaq Myles and Doucoure

Can he finish in traffic around the tin? That's all I care about
That's more important I agree but at some point Pike might want a better shooting big on the floor and want to draw a big away from the basket. Wondering who that guy might be. Although if that is the plan possibly he just goes small instead

That's more important I agree but at some point Pike might want a better shooting big on the floor and want to draw a big away from the basket. Wondering who that guy might be. Although if that is the plan possibly he just goes small instead

I believe the 5 that can draw the big away from the basket is Myles Johnson. If a 5 can pass well, he needs to be guarded closely. If he can shoot and pass, he REALLY needs to be guarded closely.

On IG, he has worked on his outside shot with a machine a few times with live videos. His form looks pretty good and can hit from 15-20 ft pretty consistently.

Reactions: Scangg
Don't expect much offense from Carter outside of 8 feet. His niche will be put backs and traditional post up offense

Carter had some nice moves in the low post yesterday. One time in particular on a 3 on 3 drill he was quick, confident and fluid with a move that finished with a nice baby hook bank shot from the left block from about 4 feet. Again, very smooth.

Carter had some nice moves in the low post yesterday. One time in particular on a 3 on 3 drill he was quick, confident and fluid with a move that finished with a nice baby hook bank shot from the left block from about 4 feet. Again, very smooth.
That's great to hear. It amazes me that college level bigs don't have a good jump hook or a decent drop step. Footwork seems to be a lost art too. European bigs always seem to have a leg up when it comes to footwork and other fundamentals. I would guess that comes from our AAU programs where fundamentals are often overlooked in favor of run and gun.

We need Carter to be a force on the boards and D so we can continue Pike’s staple of solid rebounding and D. Pike’s has spoke about better post and inside scoring. We could use some easy baskets around the hoop which was a struggle last year.

The whole roster is an unknown to me. i can just guess and hope.

Having said that........my internal hope is Carter brings enough to the table defensively (especially defensive rebounding) that can allow us to, at times, play 4 guards/wings at a time.

That alone would have him giving us a boost offensively without doing anything on the offensive end.

At the open practice Coach said that whoever gets the most rebounds in practice gets to select the music for the following practice. Couldn't hear who won the previous practice but coach made a joke about selecting music.

I keep trying to tell you guys that carter really is a center....and I think the best one we have on the roster.

I keep trying to tell you guys that carter really is a center....and I think the best one we have on the roster.
Completely disagree. Carter is a true old school power forward.

I feel the same way about Doucoure...except hold the old school.

Doorson and Johnson are the true 5 options...but honestly, I don't think it matters with this particular team.

Reactions: Mr Magoo and AD888
Completely disagree. Carter is a true old school power forward.

I feel the same way about Doucoure...except hold the old school.

Doorson and Johnson are the true 5 options...but honestly, I don't think it matters with this particular team.
A true old school power forward is basically a center today so you aren't really completely disagreeing

A true old school power forward is basically a center today so you aren't really completely disagreeing

You beat me to it. In today's college basketball game, a "PF"/4 is a guy who has the ability to step out and hit a 16 foot jumper, whereas a Center is the guy who operates in the post within 8 feet of the basket.

Semantics aside, I am really excited to see all four of our true "bigs" play (Eugene is a hybrid 3/4 IMO). I think all four guys will bring something important to the table, and they all seem to have different qualities and skills.

- Doucoure has the jump shot that none of the other three guys have

- Doorson is just plain BIG, and now has some mobility to play defense against other really big/tall centers

- Johnson (we are told) has post moves on offense, good passing ability, and solid post defense

- Carter (we are told) is also a post-scorer and rebounder.

Disagree to disagree then...I must be applying a different standard due to my advanced age.

Returning to my 80’s on 8 now...

Reactions: ejh33
6 B1G teams made post season

Michigan State .....Bridges at PF 71 3s
Purdue.......Vince Edwards 51 3s
OSU...Bates Diop 66 3s
Michigan...Robinson/Livers both made 3s
Nebrasksa...Roby and Copeland interchangable 4 and 5s all made 3s
PSU...Stevens 30 3s

You can't win consistently with a Shaq Carter playing 4. It is a must to have 4+ perimeter players on the floor at all times. Not a coincidence our offense has been bad.

Reactions: RUsojo
If Eugene can't take and make 3s Harper or Issa must step up and get minutes at the "4". It isn't a luxury to have a shooter at the 4, it is a neccesity.

The early season games including the two scrimmages will give Pikiell and staff an indication as to who will be the scorers at each position and how much playing time will be assigned.

- Doucoure has the jump shot that none of the other three guys have

th

You "Doucoure is a good shooter" guys need to stop.

The early season games including the two scrimmages will give Pikiell and staff an indication as to who will be the scorers at each position and how much playing time will be assigned.

I'm already dying to see a box score and the game doesn't even happen for another six days.

Disagree to disagree then...I must be applying a different standard due to my advanced age.

Returning to my 80’s on 8 now...
How would you say an old school power forward differs from a center today? Not trying to be difficult genuinely curious

If Eugene can't take and make 3s Harper or Issa must step up and get minutes at the "4". It isn't a luxury to have a shooter at the 4, it is a neccesity.

To a certain extent yes, but the examples you mentioned on other teams are with the comfort of an All B1G caliber Center....Edwards is supported by Haas and the other big whose 7 foot....Ohio State has size, Michigan State has mobile size etc....those are wealthy people claiming to have problems or just showing flexibility to create a match up.

RU is looking for a pick and pop 4 man, that can also move his feet, defend, get a rebound and start a fast break switch 1 to 4 when teams run a pick and pop against RU.

I am coaching in reverse and trying to figure out how to improve defensively so we don't wind up with some matchups where Shaq Doorson or Candido Sa wound up switched onto a guard who then created a drive and kickout.

I understand fans want to look at offense, but if you cannot guard a pick and pop shooter or have someone with decent footspeed to steer a player out of the lane, it doesn't matter. I think Shaq is athletic enough to defend first, rebound 2nd and hopefully finish on garbage points 3rd.

If he had shootinf range to 15 to 16 feet and possessed everything else, the player is at Michigan State or UCLA Duke and is a 1 or 2 and done player.

I want Carter to not miss the chippies we brick or miss and knock down 65% from the FT line if he's hacked. I don't care if he doesn't take one jumper, he has to alter or close out on jump shooters we play.

My hope is the staff realizes that Ron Harper Jr has long enough arms and enough size.and strength in 2019-2020, to be the undersized matchup nightmare at the PF....and that they can teach him to rotate and understand his defensive assignments....he is the closest thing to a PF that can shoot 3s, and he probably has the footspeed of most bigs....can he develop into that toughness and grit to be the utility player that Eugene is, that truly has the range down the road.

I think that is Greene's answer to finding that Vince Edwards type of player....we may need to wait a year or 2 for Harper to develop but if he buys into that role and thrives, RU goes to a whole other level or 2.

To a certain extent yes, but the examples you mentioned on other teams are with the comfort of an All B1G caliber Center....Edwards is supported by Haas and the other big whose 7 foot....Ohio State has size, Michigan State has mobile size etc....those are wealthy people claiming to have problems or just showing flexibility to create a match up.

RU is looking for a pick and pop 4 man, that can also move his feet, defend, get a rebound and start a fast break switch 1 to 4 when teams run a pick and pop against RU.

I am coaching in reverse and trying to figure out how to improve defensively so we don't wind up with some matchups where Shaq Doorson or Candido Sa wound up switched onto a guard who then created a drive and kickout.

I understand fans want to look at offense, but if you cannot guard a pick and pop shooter or have someone with decent footspeed to steer a player out of the lane, it doesn't matter. I think Shaq is athletic enough to defend first, rebound 2nd and hopefully finish on garbage points 3rd.

If he had shootinf range to 15 to 16 feet and possessed everything else, the player is at Michigan State or UCLA Duke and is a 1 or 2 and done player.

I want Carter to not miss the chippies we brick or miss and knock down 65% from the FT line if he's hacked. I don't care if he doesn't take one jumper, he has to alter or close out on jump shooters we play.

My hope is the staff realizes that Ron Harper Jr has long enough arms and enough size.and strength in 2019-2020, to be the undersized matchup nightmare at the PF....and that they can teach him to rotate and understand his defensive assignments....he is the closest thing to a PF that can shoot 3s, and he probably has the footspeed of most bigs....can he develop into that toughness and grit to be the utility player that Eugene is, that truly has the range down the road.

I think that is Greene's answer to finding that Vince Edwards type of player....we may need to wait a year or 2 for Harper to develop but if he buys into that role and thrives, RU goes to a whole other level or 2.

Nailed it

Nick Ward is the prototype 4 of yesterday. In today’s game he is a 5. Not sure he does anything defensively that the RU 5s do. It is worth noting that Ward did get in the doghouse though because oif his D.

I am a D 1st guy. With that being said statistics show we must make some sacrifices to score.

All I'm saying is that options are a GREAT thing to have as a coach. I realize that we haven't had many in a lot of positions in recent years.

Carter is not a pick and pop guy and he will struggle with his offense outside of 5 feet. His forte will be putbacks and rebounds. Anyone expecting a legit jump shot is gonna be needlessly disappointed.

That said he's athletic and physical, but too small to play a traditional center role. He will be best playing the 4 so he's not constantly pinned under the basket to rebound in space and create his offense moving toward the rim. The extra room in the paint will also allow him to use his physicality much more effectively.

Just my opinion. Hope the kid is a flat baller no matter what number fans choose to assign him

Reactions: gregkoko

Good post. If Thiam could gain another 25 lbs. by next year he could also be that guy. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT