ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq Carter Open Run Highlight video

Would be huge if Shaq makes a big jump this year for us . Absolutely crucial for he depth in our front court that he is a big factor this year . Can obviously play minutes at the 4 and maybe even in s small ball lineup the 5. He def had glimpses last year of what he could do given more minutes and with more consistency

Couple observations:

1. Shaq moving really well !
2. Lots of people on the sidelines with cell phones and professional cameras filming these open runs
3. In nearly every one of these open run videos the defense looks really bad, almost non-existent. Its essentially play ground basketball. Which is okay, but not the best quality of practice or gauge of where these guys are improving for the B1G season. In the past summers I think they always had that Jersey Shore summer league which I guess doesn't exist and this is kind of taking the place of that it seems .

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Props to the conditioning staff. Should help him on D.

Shaq looks great physically. He has a huge opportunity this year especially with EO gone. Besides Myles he is someone who can score around the basket

I think Shaq Carter can replace what EO's role should've ideally been. 15-20 minutes of solid production at the 4 with the difference being he'll play a little 5. He's moving around great but my concern is he was dreadful at defending/properly knowing how to hedge/blitz pick and rolls last year, granted I thought our entire team wasn't good at it. Hopefully that is fixed

I think Shaq Carter can replace what EO's role should've ideally been. 15-20 minutes of solid production at the 4 with the difference being he'll play a little 5. He's moving around great but my concern is he was dreadful at defending/properly knowing how to hedge/blitz pick and rolls last year, granted I thought our entire team wasn't good at it. Hopefully that is fixed

Shaq should be better in Year 2, he has to be better when making passes out of the post and when a potential double team comes, to avoid turnovers.

Part of that is lack of consistent reps, better conditioning and familiarity with what we want to do.

Shaq has the athleticism for a big man to be a very good pick and roll defender at the 5 unlike Doorson who struggled in that area due to physical limitations. Hopefully he puts it all together this season bc there is a ton of potential

Couple observations:

1. Shaq moving really well !
2. Lots of people on the sidelines with cell phones and professional cameras filming these open runs
3. In nearly every one of these open run videos the defense looks really bad, almost non-existent. Its essentially play ground basketball. Which is okay, but not the best quality of practice or gauge of where these guys are improving for the B1G season. In the past summers I think they always had that Jersey Shore summer league which I guess doesn't exist and this is kind of taking the place of that it seems .
Defense wasn't played in the Jersey Shore Summer League either.

At the final Court Club meeting of the season, Jay Young (shortly before accepting the Fairfield position) noted that Carter would be a player to watch next season. He said JuCos more often than not take a year to adjust to D1 competition and then usually have a banner senior season.

I knew Rutgers would be trending up when Jay Young was on staff. Easy to see how much he enjoyed his job. He will be missed.

"Board man gets paid"

"Two way players get paid"

Every one in these videos should know the second, or be encouraged to know it.

Reactions: Scangg
At the final Court Club meeting of the season, Jay Young (shortly before accepting the Fairfield position) noted that Carter would be a player to watch next season. He said JuCos more often than not take a year to adjust to D1 competition and then usually have a banner senior season.
Love to hear that. He is a great finisher around the rim and uses the rim well to protect his shots from being blocked. I'm excited to see him go to work

I’ve always seen him as a Five man that could that if he was needed for 24 minute could be a 9 and 7 guy

I still think he isn’t suited for the four spot unless it’s a traditional low post four ..don’t see the recovery agility to chase to the three point perimeter and then able to defend on the back pedal.

Think he and Johnson could be a monster five combo and give us in combo 12-13 points and boards a game

No open run is going to show me what I need to see from Carter - defensive positioning and footwork, appropriate switching, help defense, and closeouts, handling the double team in the post and making the right pass, etc.

He looks good from a S&C perspective, which is great - but his improvement this year is going to need to come between the ears.

He looked really good some games, and really off others. Hopefully he can bring some consistency this year and be around 8ppg for us and better defensively

No open run is going to show me what I need to see from Carter - defensive positioning and footwork, appropriate switching, help defense, and closeouts, handling the double team in the post and making the right pass, etc.

He looks good from a S&C perspective, which is great - but his improvement this year is going to
Defense is much easier to improve in a year. He should make a big jump there. As far as appropriate switching - I don't remember us ever switching last year, almost to a fault.

Defense is much easier to improve in a year. He should make a big jump there. As far as appropriate switching - I don't remember us ever switching last year, almost to a fault.

I mean when defenders were picked in the middle, he frequently didn't pick up the open man and allowed an easy pass and bucket. I think a lot of it was him just not having a complete understanding of how the defense was supposed to work, and not being in the right place or reacting in the right way. As you say, that can be improved (and hopefully will be) - it's just not something we're going to see in an open run.

I get little out of viewing such recordings. We certainly need shaq to take a step and push for more playing time. Doesn’t need to score a lot Play defense, rebound and be efficient with put back and post opportunities.

I don’t think Shaq can play anywhere near 15-20 minutes at the 4 and even if he did it would completely contradict the narrative that Eugene didn’t fit the new style of play Pike is trying to instill (which was already false as it is) of which Carter cannot even attempt to thrive in.

Shaq can play a few minutes at the 5nand hopefully in his initial rotation he won’t pick up two quick fouls every time at his new weight.

Solid role player In limited role that every team needs.

I don’t think Shaq can play anywhere near 15-20 minutes at the 4 and even if he did it would completely contradict the narrative that Eugene didn’t fit the new style of play Pike is trying to instill (which was already false as it is) of which Carter cannot even attempt to thrive in.

Shaq can play a few minutes at the 5nand hopefully in his initial rotation he won’t pick up two quick fouls every time at his new weight.

If Shaq is only playing a few minutes at the 5 then you by default must be expecting Doucoure to get those backup 5 minutes. I'm expecting much more out of Shaq than Doucoure. Carter flashed way more potential

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
I can't take too much away from that 30-second highlight clip from a defense-less open run, other than that Shaq LOOKS better physically.

His skill set is as a traditional low-post PF, not as a Center, as I don't think he is big or strong enough to play big 5s. But he should do okay getting a few minutes at the 5 when other teams go small (or when the opposing 5 isn't a major scoring threat).

Ultimately, I think Shaq is a 10-20 mpg guy who backs up both the 4 (primary) and the 5 (secondary) spots. I think Myles plays 24 mpg as the starting 5, and I think Doucoure and Shaq share whatever other minutes are available at the 5 spot.

Reactions: RutgHoops
If Shaq is only playing a few minutes at the 5 then you by default must be expecting Doucoure to get those backup 5 minutes. I'm expecting much more out of Shaq than Doucoure. Carter flashed way more potential

Yes Carter should be second in line for minutes at the 5. I can’t imagine he get many at all at the 4.

Agree. If this team is going to get to a tourney, it needs for Shaq to be a significant piece. Coach needs to have the option to match up with a big front court, like having Myles, Shaq, and Harper (or Yeboah). Shaq and Caleb both showed potential to be important parts of the rotation, and I hope they've progressed enough to take on those roles.

Yes Carter should be second in line for minutes at the 5. I can’t imagine he get many at all at the 4.
If he's second in line at the 5 then he's definitely going to play more than a few minutes a game is my point... Even if Myles is healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If those issues pop up in games Carter's going to play heavy minutes

Reactions: RUsojo
If he's second in line at the 5 then he's definitely going to play more than a few minutes a game is my point... Even if Myles is healthy and stays out of foul trouble. If those issues pop up in games Carter's going to play heavy minutes

Ideally he plays no more than 12 minutes.

Shaq can play a few minutes at the 5 and hopefully in his initial rotation he won’t pick up two quick fouls every time at his new weight.

No one said Eugene doesn't fit, he's just not equipped to be 28-30 minutes while taking the most shots and possession of the ball. EO would have a drastically reduced role if it's based on what makes RU better IMO.

Eugene or Shaq fit, if you cap them at the 4 for a few minutes a half and backing up the 5. EO or Carter are not as versatile as Yeboah or Harper will be.

Last edited:
No one said Eugene doesn't fit, he's just not equipped to be 28-30 minutes while taking the most shots and possession of the ball. EO would have a drastically reduced role if it's based on what makes RU better IMO.

Eugene or Shaq fit, if you cap them at the 4 for a few minutes a half and backing up the 5. EO or Carter are not as versatile as Yeboah or Harper will be.

Sigh....

Whatever you win

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Sigh....

Whatever you win

It's tough to comprehend when fans get emotionally attached to players, but he's not an All B1G caliber player by any measure. If that's your best player, occupying the most shots and possessions and isnt even All B1G 3rd team this past season or under consideration for the next level, why are fans unable to understand this concept??

This is about what's best for the team to improve and EO had most of 2018-19 in that realm and the team didnt start to improve until others grew in stature and improved as frosh. The 1st half of the season showed that. The team will be better this coming season, but EO as your leading shooter and with the most possessions, limits the program.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
It's tough to comprehend when fans get emotionally attached to players, but he's not an All B1G caliber player by any measure. If that's your best player, occupying the most shots and possessions and isnt even All B1G 3rd team this past season or under consideration for the next level, why are fans unable to understand this concept??

This is about what's best for the team to improve and EO had most of 2018-19 in that realm and the team didnt start to improve until others grew in stature and improved as frosh. The 1st half of the season showed that. The team will be better this coming season, but EO as your leading shooter and with the most possessions, limits the program.

You are so hung up on this usage thing with EO when the teams young players were not ready to contribute more. It's common sense that as the young guys develop and you add Jacob Young, Mulcahy that they will be used more and the shots would be spread around more.

Bottom line is that Eugene was taking shots and scoring because the others, besides Geo were not ready to carry a heavier load.

30% of the shots last year would not automatically mean 30% of the shots this year as you imply......Harper, McConnell, Mathis, Johnson, Young, etc would no longer defer to EO because they are better and more confident as they develop.

Pikiell is no idiot, he would have and will demand better shot distribution with more players ready to contribute.

Last edited:
You are so hung up on this usage thing with EO when the teams young players were not ready to contribute more. It's common sense that as the young guys develop and you add Jacob Young, Mulcahy that they will be used more and the shots would be spread around more.

Bottom line is that Eugene was taking shots and scoring because the others, besides Geo were not ready to carry a heavier load.

30% of the shots last year would not automatically mean 30% of the shots year as you imply......Harper, McConnell, Mathis, Johnson, Young, etc would no longer defer to EO because they are better and more confident as they develop.

Pikiell is no idiot, he would have and will demand better shot distribution with more players ready to contribute.

OK, then why did EO leave??

You can't explain why without arriving at a conclusion that he would have had a reduced role on the roster. He chose to bounce, I'm just expressing the reasons why it is not a huge issue it's overblown as being. To contribute to a program requires sacrificing your own stats and Eugene chose not to do that.

To return to the original topic of Shaq Carter and his improved conditioning and work this summer, I expect him to help out much more than last year on both ends and he's another player that will soften the loss of Eugene's minutes. It will be a collective effort.

OK, then why did EO leave??

You can't explain why without arriving at a conclusion that he would have had a reduced role on the roster. He chose to bounce, I'm just expressing the reasons why it is not a huge issue it's overblown as being. To contribute to a program requires sacrificing your own stats and Eugene chose not to do that.

To return to the original topic of Shaq Carter and his improved conditioning and work this summer, I expect him to help out much more than last year on both ends and he's another player that will soften the loss of Eugene's minutes. It will be a collective effort.

Of course he has a reduced role with developed and more better players....that's common sense

Imo, he left because he wants to get to the dance and , Rutgers is probably an NCAA team in 2020-21....NIT in 19-20.

At Oregon, he dances two years....one year as a sitout, one year as a player. Even, if he sat out at Rutgers next year, he was probably not confident that Rutgers would get there in 20-21.

30% of the shots last year would not automatically mean 30% of the shots year as you imply......Harper, McConnell, Mathis, Johnson, Young, etc would no longer defer to EO because they are better and more confident as they develop.

This. No one was saying he wasnt replaceable. Anyone remotely think EO was going to have the same offensive contribution thinks Pikiell is a bad coach flat out. And that’s not the case.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
ADVERTISEMENT