ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq Carter Ranked #7 JUCO

I was looking at his stats this season, and while they are good on a per minute basis and he starts for his team, I was curious why he has far less minutes than all the other starters. He was averaging like 19 minutes while the rest were in the high 20s. His team is an elite JuCo team. Hopefully not a reflection on what the coach thinks of him as a player, but maybe since he already knows his college destination, and since a big part of the job of a JuCo coach is to get kids exposure, Carter's backup plays a lot? Or maybe his backup is also a stud? Just found it a bit concerning, since we are all penciling him in for 20+ minutes in the B1G next season.

I was looking at his stats this season, and while they are good on a per minute basis and he starts for his team, I was curious why he has far less minutes than all the other starters. He was averaging like 19 minutes while the rest were in the high 20s. His team is an elite JuCo team. Hopefully not a reflection on what the coach thinks of him as a player, but maybe since he already knows his college destination, and since a big part of the job of a JuCo coach is to get kids exposure, Carter's backup plays a lot? Or maybe his backup is also a stud? Just found it a bit concerning, since we are all penciling him in for 20+ minutes in the B1G next season.

What are his fouls like?

Thiam's brother also plays at Souf's old school... I was looking at his numbers the other day, he's nearly averaging a double-double (just looked again... 19.2 pts/9.7 rebounds). However, his shooting percentages don't wow you (45.6% overall, 34% from 3).

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
His team was #2 in the nation in JUCO last year and is currently rated #2 again in the nation. They are usually winning most games by large margins. Hopefully he can play well over 20 mpg next year for us. He is rated the second best power forward in all of JUCO. He is much bigger than Freeman so hopefully he can play tough at the PF or center position.

The #72 guy on that list (Ahmed Ali) plays on Shaq's team has some insane shooting numbers: 19.6 PPG, shooting 46% on three-pointers, averaging eight attempts a game.

He's listed at 5'10" and 160 pounds so that's why he's headed to a MAC school (Kent State) where he won't be as big a liability defensively, but dang we need a shooter like that.

Thiam's brother also plays at Souf's old school... I was looking at his numbers the other day, he's nearly averaging a double-double (just looked again... 19.2 pts/9.7 rebounds). However, his shooting percentages don't wow you (45.6% overall, 34% from 3).

Compared to the lack of 3pt shooting on our team, 34% is pretty good lol

Reactions: Arizona Knight

Even better, Souf was the roommate of Mohamed Thiam at Marshalltown

Think I recall it being mentioned here that we were not recruiting Thiam’s brother. I could be wrong

What are his fouls like?
His fouls are fine. And I have no idea where I looked initially but looking again his minutes are more in line with his teammates than the other place I looked. So forget everything I said lol. He averages 9 pts and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes.

Rated # 6 JUCO in country....6-8” ... brother is an up and comer on Rutgers and we are not recruiting him?... things must be better than we think...

Reactions: BoxStater
Hmmmm....came across as back-handed commentary on them ranking Freeman 18th, to me, sorry!

Wasn't intended that way - just that this site is projecting Carter to be a better prospect than Freeman was, which is reason for optimism. Even though I've been critical of aspects of his game lately, I'd say Freeman's the most successful Juco we've had here since Jerome Coleman.

Hoping Carter is as good as advertised and is ready to go from Day 1.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The #72 guy on that list (Ahmed Ali) plays on Shaq's team has some insane shooting numbers: 19.6 PPG, shooting 46% on three-pointers, averaging eight attempts a game.

He's listed at 5'10" and 160 pounds so that's why he's headed to a MAC school (Kent State) where he won't be as big a liability defensively, but dang we need a shooter like that.
Those numbers are Johnny Blake like -- some might remember how excited we were when he signed.

Rated # 6 JUCO in country....6-8” ... brother is an up and comer on Rutgers and we are not recruiting him?... things must be better than we think...
If were not even recruiting this kid and I'm Issa.....then I'm asking some questions.

23 Jethro Tshisumpa Mbiya 6'10 San Jacinto C....already one of my favorites.

Beyond the Stretch PF that can shoot, we have to look at the dump into the low post to Candido and Freeman that are missed or not dunked and whether those conversions are made by a slightly better PF with hands and ability to move around the basket.

I think Carter fits what we run perfectly and should actually be a little more of a two-way player OR he may be athletic enough to get out on the shooters at the PF position.....I think Eugene and Shaq Carter have the potential to be really a force defensively and take away more points than they score....The defense last night was as good as I've seen it in well over a month (since SHU 2nd half).

Carters value (to me) is he'll finish more around the basket and close out defensively better than what we have now.

Last edited:
Carter is taller and heavier than Freeman so I hope he can score more points closer to the basket than Freeman. He doesn't seem to jump as well as I would like to see him according to the videos I have seen. I sure hope I am wrong on that.

ADVERTISEMENT