ADVERTISEMENT

Shayne Simon to ND

Hard to convince NJ Catholic HS kids that playing for Rutgers is better than taking an offer from Notre Dame.
Beating out Boston College for those NJ Parochial school players is hard enough, pulling one away from ND is nearly impossible unless there's some kind of a close connection to the recruit and RU involved.

This whole topic fails, as always, to move my needle.

Although, it's also true that my needle moved a lot easier when I was younger.

But anyway... there's D1 talent all over the country. Seek and you shall find. If the North Jersey Catholics want to sell their kids off to the highest bidder, so be it. I ain't worried about it.

Good for him. Hope it works out for him. Didn't look like he was ever considering coming here

Why do we take ND verbal commits as gospel, but all others as tongue and cheek?

I think he has visited RU but was never seriously considering. It was apparently between ND and Michigan and as another poster said better than him going to Mich.

Reactions: MozRU
Hard to convince NJ Catholic HS kids that playing for Rutgers is better than taking an offer from Notre Dame.
Beating out Boston College for those NJ Parochial school players is hard enough, pulling one away from ND is nearly impossible unless there's some kind of a close connection to the recruit and RU involved.

Notre Dame is still Notre Dame. Still have a TV contract. Still sold out stadium. It's better than Michigan and I wish him luck.

But anyway... there's D1 talent all over the country. Seek and you shall find. If the North Jersey Catholics want to sell their kids off to the highest bidder, so be it. I ain't worried about it.

I wasn't trying to move your needle. You have a lovely wife and access to pharmaceuticals for that. Llo

To the extent it's newsworthy, If everything holds, ND came to SPP and walked out with three 4* players. And Simon may have the biggest upside of all of them.

That's not exactly insignificant as we continue to find our recruiting sea legs as a program. And there were a few posts asking about Simon's interest in RU.

I wasn't trying to move your needle. You have a lovely wife and access to pharmaceuticals for that. Llo

To the extent it's newsworthy, If everything holds, ND came to SPP and walked out with three 4* players. And Simon may have the biggest upside of all of them.

That's not exactly insignificant as we continue to find our recruiting sea legs as a program. And there were a few posts asking about Simon's interest in RU.

No, I get it.

My point is that we enjoy the benefit of history. We can look back to when Gary was dropping 80-7 games to WVU, all while talking about "building this thing to last", and getting zero traction with the core NJ recruits. He wasn't able to turn that around until he won a few games.

It's deja vu all over again. With an inexperienced head coach and that festering sore of a season that we had last year I have zero expectation that kids like Simon will wind up here. Best off reaching back into the Schiano Formula for Moderate Success and get some Florida kids with a chip on their shoulder and, I dunno, maybe win a conference game.

It's totally 2002 all over again. Gary went from 2 wins his first year to 1 win his second year. I *hope* we do better this year than last, but I'm not expecting it. Similarly, I'm not expecting a significant number of homegrown blue chippers come February.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
No, I get it.

My point is that we enjoy the benefit of history. We can look back to when Gary was dropping 80-7 games to WVU, all while talking about "building this thing to last", and getting zero traction with the core NJ recruits. He wasn't able to turn that around until he won a few games.

It's deja vu all over again. With an inexperienced head coach and that festering sore of a season that we had last year I have zero expectation that kids like Simon will wind up here. Best off reaching back into the Schiano Formula for Moderate Success and get some Florida kids with a chip on their shoulder and, I dunno, maybe win a conference game.

It's totally 2002 all over again. Gary went from 2 wins his first year to 1 win his second year. I *hope* we do better this year than last, but I'm not expecting it. Similarly, I'm not expecting a significant number of homegrown blue chippers come February.

That's fair and I agree. Perfect analogy

Getting Jonathan Lewis from SPP cannot be underestimated. Under Kill, Lewis can very well develop into an NFL caliber QB, and lead RU to respectability, thus making recruiting NJ more successful. How he wasn't bumped to a 4 star after his senior season is a mystery to me.
I will always be grateful to Keith Lumpkin, Savon Huggins, all the Bosco players , and the players from St Joes (McGourtys, Kivlehan, etc) who played at RU.

Thankfully Ash thinks the same way you do.

While this is true, until Rutgers becomes a "destination" school, we're going to struggle with scheme-fit. Do we turn down the local 4-star corner because he's undersized and may struggle in Ash's preferred press-heavy scheme?

This is a big reason I think we need scheme flexibility, especially on offense. We need to leverage whatever weapons we have. If a kid can play, they need to play, regardless if they look like Kenny Britt or Timmy Brown.

While this is true, until Rutgers becomes a "destination" school, we're going to struggle with scheme-fit. Do we turn down the local 4-star corner because he's undersized and may struggle in Ash's preferred press-heavy scheme?

This is a big reason I think we need scheme flexibility, especially on offense. We need to leverage whatever weapons we have. If a kid can play, they need to play, regardless if they look like Kenny Britt or Timmy Brown.
I don't care where they come from or what they look like. Just want them to be able to play and contribute on a B1G East team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29PAS
I don't care where they come from or what they look like. Just want them to be able play and contribute on a B1G East team.
Exactly.

What I was alluding to in my prior post is that it's easier to "cast" players in on offense than it is on defense. On defense, you sort of need to fit the scheme because you don't want to see stuff like a run-stopping safety patrolling the deep middle in cover-1 or an undersized nose tackle unable to demand double-teams in a 3-4.

Whether we are doomed or not, that remains to be seen. We are Rutgers fans. Win/lose/draw. And the world will be fine either way.

It was a joke post. I am making fun of the fact that some people rather make threads about other school's recruits instead of our own.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT