ADVERTISEMENT

Shooting.

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
We played well enough to win, with great intensity, defense and rebounding, but our shooting was beyond bad. 2-19 from three and 2-7 FTs, including 0-3 on front ends. If we simply go 4-18 from three (which is a bad 22%) and go maybe 5-9 from the line (hitting 2 front ends and one more), we score 9 more points and win by 3.

Myles was awesome with 9/12 on 4-5 shooting (how can we not get him the ball more?)and a block and 3 steals and JY was good as usual with 9-15 for 19, but that was about it for offense, as Geo was 4-11 with no treys, Mathis was 1-6, Harper was 2-13, Paul was 1-5 and Caleb was 3-9 (0-4 in the 2nd half.

This team does not suck - we just need to get untracked, especially Harper and Geo obviously. Was great having Cliff back and he played pretty well after missing a month. I still think we're going to win several more games and I'm hopeful we still make the tourney, but the winning does have to start soon. We'll really see what this team is made of in the next 2 games (at PSU/IU), which are winnable on the road, especially with no fans in the stands.

Last edited:
We played well enough to win, with great intensity, defense and rebounding, but our shooting was beyond bad. 2-18 from three and 2-7 FTs, including 0-3 on front ends. If we simply go 4-18 from three (which is a bad 22%) and go maybe 5-9 from the line (hitting 2 front ends and one more), we score 9 more points and win by 3.

Myles was awesome with 9/12 on 4-5 shooting (how can we not get him the ball more?)and a block and 3 steals and JY was good as usual with 9-15 for 19, but that was about it for offense, as Geo was 4-11 with no treys, Mathis was 1-6, Harper was 2-13, Paul was 1-5 and Caleb was 3-9 (0-4 in the 2nd half.

This team does not suck - we just need to get untracked, especially Harper and Geo obviously. Was great having Cliff back and he played pretty well after missing a month. I still think we're going to win several more games and I'm hopeful we still make the tourney, but the winning does have to start soon. We'll really see what this team is made of in the next 2 games (at PSU/IU), which are winnable on the road, especially with no fans in the stands.

we’ve already seen what the team is made of. You can only say that so much. This team is better than Nebraska and that’s it.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Game was ours to take over in 2nd half, Wisky tried to hand it to us.

Simply, can’t win with all of Geo, Harper, and Mathis totally disappearing on O. Mulcahy is afraid to shoot. McConnell still just getting back, chucking air balls in 2nd half.

We played well enough to win, with great intensity, defense and rebounding, but our shooting was beyond bad. 2-18 from three and 2-7 FTs, including 0-3 on front ends. If we simply go 4-18 from three (which is a bad 22%) and go maybe 5-9 from the line (hitting 2 front ends and one more), we score 9 more points and win by 3.

Sorry but we did not play well enough to win. Wisconsin tried to give us the game but we were horrific on offense.

we could have played this game 100 times and we were not winning....all you need to see is how the game played out the last 7 minutes.

I’m with you. At this teams peak, I stand by the fact that this team is an upper half Big Ten squad and can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the country not named Gonzaga or Baylor. If we can recapture the confidence (and soon) we played with the first 7 games, I like our chances to make the tourney and pose a threat to virtually anybody. Only question is really if we’re able to “right the ship” in the next couple weeks — desperately need these guys to get back to playing confidently/having fun on the court

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Sorry but don’t see light at the end of the tunnel here. This team has regressed tremendously in 2 weeks.

I’m with you. At this teams peak, I stand by the fact that this team is an upper half Big Ten squad and can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the country not named Gonzaga or Baylor. If we can recapture the confidence (and soon) we played with the first 7 games, I like our chances to make the tourney and pose a threat to virtually anybody. Only question is really if we’re able to “right the ship” in the next couple weeks — desperately need these guys to get back to playing confidently/having fun on the court
You had a full week off and nothing changes poorly coached team with no offense run

Interesting that they only drew two shooting fouls – – none in the second half. When you run your offense into the paint that much, you have to do better than that.

we could have played this game 100 times and we were not winning....all you need to see is how the game played out the last 7 minutes.
Disagree completely. There's no reason we couldn't have hit a few shots we hit earlier in the year and won. Hell, even 5-19 from deep gets us 9 more points and that's well below our season average.

Big Mulcahy Fan, but he has to make one or two of those WIDE Open 3s. They were the best look from 3 all night, That was the shot Yeboah made all last season Off the pick and roll corner wing pass.

Disagree completely. There's no reason we couldn't have hit a few shots we hit earlier in the year and won. Hell, even 5-19 from deep gets us 9 more points and that's well below our season average.

but we arent like earlier in the year...we have seen 5 of 6 games of the same bad shooting.

the team had mulitple opportunities in the Iowa game and this one and did nothing....it will continue to lose by blowouts or games where they stay in it but ultimately lose...

I thought we had a lot more open looks tonight. We just couldn't hit any. MSU smothered us. Keep the defensive intensity the rebounding edge and we'll get the ship righted.

Interesting that they only drew two shooting fouls – – none in the second half. When you run your offense into the paint that much, you have to do better than that.
It seems impossible, but Geo, Ron, Caleb, Paul, and Montez had no free throw attempts. Is it the refs or the offense? Every starter on Wisconsin had at least 3 free throws.

Reactions: goru7
Yup this is it. The first two attempts from Harper and Mulcahy were great looks that rattled in and out. Different game if those go down and restore some confidence for those guys.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Agree with #s 100% here. Please separate this game with the others. We brought it defensively. It came down to shooting. Plain and simple. If we shot it below average we probably win.

End of story. Move on.

I see the trend in our shooting...you think its coming back, based on what i do not know

Right now there are red flags all over this team its hard to know where to start

We went from every guy making outside shots to nobody. I even started to believe this was a different team regarding perimeter shooting.

i am still confident Harper is an injury issue. Just about 100%.

the others.....no

I am fine saying we are still a below average shooting team and that our calling card is D, REB, and 50/50. It worked last year.

Reactions: winfield102
We went from every guy making outside shots to nobody. I even started to believe this was a different team regarding perimeter shooting.

i am still confident Harper is an injury issue. Just about 100%.

the others.....no

I am fine saying we are still a below average shooting team and that our calling card is D, REB, and 50/50. It worked last year.
It worked at home in front of sell out crowds but not on the road.

Hard to win when 5 players......Harper(2-13), Baker(4-11), Mathis(1-6), Cliff (1-3), Mulcahey(1-5_) were a COMBINED 9-38 shooting
UGH

but we arent like earlier in the year...we have seen 5 of 6 games of the same bad shooting.

the team had mulitple opportunities in the Iowa game and this one and did nothing....it will continue to lose by blowouts or games where they stay in it but ultimately lose...
Yes, but 2-19 and 2-7 with three missed front ends isn't just "bad" it's apocalyptically bad. Plain bad would've been 5-19 from deep (26%, which is still well below last year's 31%) and 5-9 (55%, assuming 2 made front ends) from the line and that's 12 more points.

Yes, but 2-19 and 2-7 with three missed front ends isn't just "bad" it's apocalyptically bad. Plain bad would've been 5-19 from deep (26%, which is still well below last year's 31%) and 5-9 (55%, assuming 2 made front ends) from the line and that's 12 more points.
This is exactly how I try to score a game. I understand it ignores the quality of looks, but.....

we had a fools gold win back Illinois

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT