ADVERTISEMENT

Should RU reach out to Calhoun?

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
In a recent article, Jim Calhoun has mentioned that he'd like to get back involved in college basketball in some capacity (assistant coach?). He said he misses interacting with the players and the game itself. That being said, should RU reach out and offer him a role within the program? Not a terrible idea, right?

SJU hired Gene Keady as an adviser so it may not be all that far-fetched...

at 75 or 76, that's a temporary fix for Calhoun...not sure it makes sense....but 100% on board if Pike felt it would help.

No. And I always respected how Calhoun built uconn from a nice regional program into a national power

I wouldn't be against it. He loves Pikiell and his knowledge couldn't hurt. Pikiell learned what he knows from Jim.

Just saw that he is a candidate to coach D3 St. Joseph in West Hartford, CT. Makes sense because he loves the area and I doubt he leaves it at age 75.

While it sounds nice on paper...Pikiel needs to do it on his own. NO, bad move

Last edited:
No. First, he has to get permission from his wife. Secondly, he wants to stay in the New England area. Lastly, the job he is looking at is a Div 3 team that starts basketball next year.

I thought his retirement (wink wink) was negotiated to save his legacy and good name. A couple of his assistants were given a show cause after their NCAA infractions.

Reactions: MADHAT1
got a laugh from the ESPN ticker that said "Calhoun wants to get back into coaching at 75.......but needs permission from his wife"

interesting thought - his presence would be yet a bit more additional validation / credibility
but - suspect that there would be huge needs / wants / desires mismatches
Calhoun misses the day-to-day action - the collective interactions with a team ...
maybe consultative evaluation of talent on a case by case basis would be a help to the staff - but doubt that Calhoun just want to be kept in a box and only brought out on special occasions - and then only used carefully so as to not violate some NCAA rule.

Fundamentally - Calhoun is an old lion who still yearns to roar ...
probably the most RU could provide him would be the chance to parade into the gym, give a low growl, strike a pose and nod in agreement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT