ADVERTISEMENT

Should team get covid vaccine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
It looks like the tournament is a given. Don’t want to get disqualified with covid positive tests. We know people are cutting the lines and getting the vaccine before they really should . Whether it’s lying about health conditions or getting hooked up from a family, friend or some other measure .
I am sure hobbs and the other powers that be have connections to get these 20 or so guys vaccines , if they haven’t already and keep it super classified information . It’s happening everywhere else . I would actually think it’s simply not doing the due diligence to explore the vaccine possibility for the team and staff . The ncaa tournament and big ten tournament may provide the university’s most positive press coverage in years. We don’t need a positive covid test

Stop. But I agree there are peeps that are cutting in line, fibbing about conditions, etc. You know whos you are.

Stop. But I agree there are peeps that are cutting in line, fibbing about conditions, etc. You know whos you are.
We were informed by the governor of NJ , in the initial phases of 1a ,1b groups , he was hoping people would abide by the “ honor” system. We see how that worked out and supposedly this is changed or being changed? There isn’t even honor anymore in the military academies.

This isn’t was crazy an idea as it’s being made out to be.

My company said they have been in talks with pharmacy executives on the the ability to obtain vaccines for us.
In a recent townhall, people were asking if the company would be able to provide vaccines.

The company said at this time vaccines are not available for them to give us but they will be constantly monitoring the situation for if they become available.

I’m sure all the major schools are doing the same due diligence.

Reactions: Plum Street
The NCAA still makes you test even with a vaccine, and the prevailing logic with vaccines presently is that they don't 100% shield people from infections.

Why not give them ped s and keep it under wrap-- geez, some of our fans are dumb as $hit.

To be fair, this is not remotely the same, but the answer to the OP is still no, the Rutgers basketball team should not jump the line for COVID vaccines.

The NCAA still makes you test even with a vaccine, and the prevailing logic with vaccines presently is that they don't 100% shield people from infections.
You can still get Covid after the first dose I would just keep doing what they have been doing and they will be fine

no vaccine ever made in history protects 100 percent, but real world evidence shows Pfizer/Moderna vaccines to be incredibly effective at preventing illness. A vaccinated, asymptomatic person is unlikely to spread disease.

no vaccine ever made in history protects 100 percent, but real world evidence shows Pfizer/Moderna vaccines to be incredibly effective at preventing illness. A vaccinated, asymptomatic person is unlikely to spread disease.

I assume you're right, but operationally w/ the NCAA an asymptomatic positive is still not playing in the NCAA tournament. This is going to happen and their solution to fill teams in is kind of weird. And if the positives happen after Wednesday of game week, it'll be a no-contest win for the non COVID team.

I'm unsure if 1 positive knocks the whole team out or not. I have not read that, yet.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
I actually think it would be OK to give priority to people in the sports and entertainment industry since that helps the rest of us stay sane with something to watch. But I get that's not a popular opinion when more vulnerable people are dying.

Apparently the J&J Vaccine, while slightly less effective at preventing the illness - is very effective at preventing dramatic symptoms / hospitalization.

Personally, I would like all eligible to receive avaccine sooner than later. Therefore , after everyone in the more susceptible category and at a higher risk are inoculated only then would I inoculate children. If one of those younger are in a danger level equal to the others then they should be able to receive it sooner. Healthy athletes and children should be last unless the current dynamic changes which would not surprise anyone who follows the science.

Well the newest claim by Pfizer is if you had Covid before and receive the 1 st dose your chances of contracting Covid 19 are lessened.

Are you making claims that Rutgers players were vaccinated already? If so that is problematic . Too many elders and those with medical conditions still not vaccinated . Not a smart thing to post .

I'd prefer than my 85 year old mother get a vaccine first which is essentially impossible in this completely botched NJ rollout.

Reactions: FireBugOBJC
No. You do things the right way. Pike wouldnt have it any other way.
Lol. It’s college basketball , even the “right way”is wrong .
Getting players a vaccine for a deadly vaccine would not be that bad . Trust me, a a lot more shady stuff happens.

I'm not advocating that anyone jump the line. I'm just really surprised at how this process is working? I would think by now they would have had a plan in place for college and pro athletes

Lol. It’s college basketball , even the “right way”is wrong .
Getting players a vaccine for a deadly vaccine would not be that bad . Trust me, a a lot more shady stuff happens.
No disagree with that logic . It is still morally wrong. The youngsters can wait. When it is an open vaccine market in a few months then fine knock your socks off... vaccinate anyone who wants the vaccine.

Aren't the athletes at major risk of getting myocarditis and therefore should be getting the vaccine now? At least that's what we were being told in the fall. Many people on here were saying we shouldn't have a football season because of it. Or basketball. And everyone, no matter the age, can get really sick.

How many college athletes have you heard acquired heart issues from covid19? Not many out of thousands. If it were an issue you can bet it would have reared it’s ugly face already.

No disagree with that logic . It is still morally wrong. The youngsters can wait. When it is an open vaccine market in a few months then fine knock your socks off... vaccinate anyone who wants the vaccine.
I agree with you it’s morally wrong.
But this is college basketball we are talking about

Aren't the athletes at major risk of getting myocarditis and therefore should be getting the vaccine now? At least that's what we were being told in the fall. Many people on here were saying we shouldn't have a football season because of it. Or basketball. And everyone, no matter the age, can get really sick.
Getting the vaccine for these players , if they haven’t already got it ...has nothing to do with health . It’s about not testing positive so we can participate in the greatest sporting event in America

I agree with you it’s morally wrong.
But this is college basketball we are talking about
Plum that isn’t the answer here... take care of those most In jeopardy. I would bet many athletes would go in that direction. Once it is on the open market everywhere then if they do choose to get the vaccine great. Some may not... raises another question . Should everyone over age 16 be vaccinated in order to reach total safety?

Plum that isn’t the answer here... take care of those most In jeopardy. I would bet many athletes would go in that direction. Once it is on the open market everywhere then if they do choose to get the vaccine great. Some may not... raises another question . Should everyone over age 16 be vaccinated in order to reach total safety?
It has nothing to do with safety . All I am saying is rutgers should and probably has explored all options so they will be able to compete until their season ends by elimination. Not by some rapid test

hope this is not a jinx--we all know and fear that one player can get virus day before selection and we are screwed but no one wanted to raise that fear

hope this is not a jinx--we all know and fear that one player can get virus day before selection and we are screwed but no one wanted to raise that fear
Not raising a fear. Just explore options. Maybe they already have ?
I would hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT