ADVERTISEMENT

Should we consider Firing Pikell?!

That’s a foolish thought given the past 30 years.

Who are you replacing him with? Bonus points if you name both Hurleys as if they’d actually come this time, bring noticeable improvement, and stay long term.

I DON'T GIVE A **** IF WE WERE BAD IN 1995? Last 30 years? What are you on about dude? We lost for thirty years because of institutional incompetence and terrible coaching. That's not an argument for continuing these things in the future.

Jesus **** if you want to be happy with topping out at like #40 in the country for ONE year then fine but don't impose that sorry lack of ambition on the rest of us.

Back to the original point? Why should we be excited about this team? What gives you hope it’s going to get better? Why is Pikell the answer? What have you seen in the last 4-5 games that makes you think things are going to change.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I DON'T GIVE A **** IF WE WERE BAD IN 1995? Last 30 years? What are you on about dude? We lost for thirty years because of institutional incompetence and terrible coaching. That's not an argument for continuing these things in the future.

Jesus **** if you want to be happy with topping out at like #40 in the country for ONE year then fine but don't impose that sorry lack of ambition on the rest of us.
1. Calm down
2. We topped out at #11 like 3 weeks ago
3. Who would do better?

Reactions: ancienthooper
you PM'd me and threatened me I have screen shots.
Dude you are the one drinking. I am not on Facebook. You can have all the screenshots you want. That is not me. I don’t mind arguing and will not run from a fight but I promise you that is not me so whoever it is as a very different beef with you.

1. Calm down

Go **** yourself.

2. We topped out at #11 like 3 weeks ago

No. Performance over an entire season. Being #11 6 games in does not count for anything.

3. Who would do better?

I don't know? I didn't know the answer to that question when any of our previous coaches got fired either, so I don't see much correlation between my ability to answer this question and whether we should keep our coach.

I'm not suggesting we fire him today. I wouldn't even suggest we fired him at the end of this season if we lost every remaining game. But "as long as it takes" is just madness. Again, if you are happy at NIT level in perpetuity fine but that's not going to be a prevailing viewpoint and honestly it's kind of sad.

lol okay so you're not eich#%t? if seriously not then I am sorry. but it all seems the same to me

Dude you are the one drinking. I am not on Facebook. You can have all the screenshots you want. That is not me. I don’t mind arguing and will not run from a fight but I promise you that is not me so whoever it is as a very different beef with you.

Go **** yourself.

No. Performance over an entire season. Being #11 6 games in does not count for anything.

I don't know? I didn't know the answer to that question when any of our previous coaches got fired either, so I don't see much correlation between my ability to answer this question and whether we should keep our coach.

I'm not suggesting we fire him today. I wouldn't even suggest we fired him at the end of this season if we lost every remaining game. But "as long as it takes" is just madness. Again, if you are happy at NIT level in perpetuity fine but that's not going to be a prevailing viewpoint and honestly it's kind of sad.
These 9 PM games must be tough on you. Get some sleep, you seem a little cranky.

Wrong. I’ve been watching since 1972
Then that makes you even a bigger idiot if you've watched Rutgers that long. We've been bad for so long. Our expectations have been raised dramatically since last year but here's the thing.............................................we've had TONS!!!! of open shots these past 5 games and shot epically bad! Combine that with awful foul shooting and here we are. That is on the players..........on the players. You have to score to win. People saying the offense in place is terrible are over exaggerating. These players are in an almost impossible to believe confidence funk, that will get better. Things will click in a game soon and we will win 5 or 6 out of 7 and look good again. That's going to happen. Our players are better then this. I mean is Ron Harper really going to average 6 points a game for the rest of the season? No. Trust me, i'm just as annoyed as anyone and have to admit a bit bewildered, but if you've been truly watching sports since 1972 then you've seen things like this across all of the major sports happen plenty of times with individual players and teams. Our level of frustration is exacerbated because of our great start. Frustrating yes.............end of the world no. We will recover and I still believe sneak into the NCAA's. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: GORU2014
These 9 PM games must be tough on you. Get some sleep, you seem a little cranky.

What is wrong with you? 99% percent of my post is a substantive response to you and the other part is a reaction to a completely unnecessary snipe much like the post I'm quoting.

Are you incapable of conversing with someone who shows any emotion? If you are not emotionally invested in the success of Rutgers basketball, what are you doing here? Just trying to troll people?

lol okay so you're not eichert? if seriously not then I am sorry. but it all seems the same to me
Honestly I don’t know who that is. If it was me I’d tell you. I’ve never posted anything on Facebook. I may have an account I created like 10 years ago but never go on and certainly never post about RU. This is only place I post. And honestly I am just very upset about turn this has taken in last few weeks.

Then that makes you even a bigger idiot if you've watched Rutgers that long. We've been bad for so long. Our expectations have been raised dramatically since last year but here's the thing.............................................we've had TONS!!!! of open shots these past 5 games and shot epically bad! Combine that with awful foul shooting and here we are. That is on the players..........on the players. You have to score to win. People saying the offense in place is terrible are over exaggerating. These players are in an almost impossible to believe confidence funk, that will get better. Things will click in a game soon and we will win 5 or 6 out of 7 and look good again. That's going to happen. Our players are better then this. I mean is Ron Harper really going to average 6 points a game for the rest of the season? No. Trust me, i'm just as annoyed as anyone and have to admit a bit bewildered, but if you've been truly watching sports since 1972 then you've seen things like this across all of the major sports happen plenty of times with individual players and teams. Our level of frustration is exacerbated because of our great start. Frustrating yes.............end of the world no. We will recover and I still believe sneak into the NCAA's. Just my humble opinion.
Thanks for the honest answer to give me optimism outside of calling me an idiot :)

Scott, You don't have a clue! saying you have been watching more years of basketball than I was alive. I have watched RU games for 49 years and have followed them for well over 50 years. I coached high school sports for 40 years and am in the New Jersey High School State Coaches Hall of Fame so I think I have been watching RU basketball games since before you were born. Don't get personal in your comments unless you know what you are talking about. With your comments you made about our players and coach obviously I feel you must not have too much integrity.

Scott, You don't have a clue! saying you have been watching more years of basketball than I was alive. I have watched RU games for 49 years and have followed them for well over 50 years. I coached high school sports for 40 years and am in the New Jersey High School State Coaches Hall of Fame so I think I have been watching RU basketball games since before you were born. Don't get personal in your comments unless you know what you are talking about. With your comments you made about our players and coach obviously I feel you must not have too much integrity.
Congrats on the HOF.

Something happened. This team can’t score. I look to the coach. He changed something and can’t get it back together.

What is wrong with you? 99% percent of my post is a substantive response to you and the other part is a reaction to a completely unnecessary snipe much like the post I'm quoting.

Are you incapable of conversing with someone who shows any emotion? If you are not emotionally invested in the success of Rutgers basketball, what are you doing here? Just trying to troll people?
I’m just capable of speaking like a rational adult when the team loses instead of throwing a tantrum and throwing out self-censored curse words like a message board warrior.

I don’t like them losing. I really liked them winning earlier in the season, and throughout last season. But if I acted the way you are every time I saw Rutgers lose a winnable game, my blood pressure would be 300/200 and I’d spend $5,000 a year replacing broken TVs.

You want Pikiell fired based on a bad 3 weeks where we lost to ranked teams, with a couple of the games being extremely close, and have made the decision to overlook how far the program has progressed. You can’t name a viable replacement if he were to be fired, and after saying there are no structural issues with the program say you don’t care about the 25 years of absolutely terrible basketball before Pikiell proving the opposite.

Either YOU’RE the troll, or you’re totally unhinged right now and will feel better in the morning after a good night’s sleep.

Reactions: ancienthooper
The saddest part at the start of the season had 15 alums on text while watching the games. Now back to nobody. Frustrating.

Then my apologies. Two Scotts angry what are the chances??
Honestly I don’t know who that is. If it was me I’d tell you. I’ve never posted anything on Facebook. I may have an account I created like 10 years ago but never go on and certainly never post about RU. This is only place I post. And honestly I am just very upset about turn this has taken in last few weeks.

We’d owe wayyyyy too much to fire him. However, lets hope our players get red hot, sneak in the tourney and another school offers him a blank check. We can do much better than him. Hes not a great coach

So the start of this crazy thread was basically does anyone think Pike can fix this. My answer on another thread. It’s 100% done. I said at the start of the year without fans this team is nothing. Sad but true.

Right now rutgers is a terrible team. That is indisputable. If they go 7-17. Pike is in trouble.

Blah blah tone policing saying I'm mad etc.

You want Pikiell fired based on a bad 3 weeks where we lost to ranked teams, with a couple of the games being extremely close, and have made the decision to overlook how far the program has progressed. You can’t name a viable replacement if he were to be fired, and after saying there are no structural issues with the program say you don’t care about the 25 years of absolutely terrible basketball before Pikiell proving the opposite.

Blah blah more tone policing

Ignoring all the personal bullshit and will be ignoring you completely if it continues. I suggest actually reading my posts if you want to have a conversation, but to be clear:

(1) I don't want Pikiell fired anytime soon. I'm just not in favor of giving him "as long as it takes" since that implies basically no performance standards at all.

(2) I'm not overlooking how far the program has progressed, if we hadn't progressed at all then I would actually want him fired now.

(3) I'm not in charge of finding replacements. I'm confident there exist other basketball coaches we could hire if the time comes.

(4) I didn't say there were never structural issues with the program. I said those issues are not inherent to Rutgers and the fact that they existed in 1997 or 2008 or 2013 is not a reason to let them continue.

If it helps you understand this, I'm not the one who created this thread.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Pike is not under any pressure or heat and it will take 3 years of sub 500 to be fired

however I think he has crossed that juncture to be fairly criticized without everything having to be rose petals...the team has been really bad the past 3 weeks

Faxxxxxx

Ignoring all the personal bullshit and will be ignoring you completely if it continues. I suggest actually reading my posts if you want to have a conversation, but to be clear:

(1) I don't want Pikiell fired anytime soon. I'm just not in favor of giving him "as long as it takes" since that implies basically no performance standards at all.

(2) I'm not overlooking how far the program has progressed, if we hadn't progressed at all then I would actually want him fired now.

(3) I'm not in charge of finding replacements. I'm confident there exist other basketball coaches we could hire if the time comes.

(4) I didn't say there were never structural issues with the program. I said those issues are not inherent to Rutgers and the fact that they existed in 1997 or 2008 or 2013 is not a reason to let them continue.

If it helps you understand this, I'm not the one who created this thread.
Without going point by point, you said you think he gets one more year after this if we don’t make the tournament and ripped me for “being okay with mediocrity” while saying you’re not, which implies you would be in favor of firing him without pretty significant short-term results. And, if you don’t think Rutgers has inherent issues that stand in the way of sustained athletic success you’re (possibly willfully) ignorant. We have nicer facilities now and better coaches in the major sports (which runs counter to whatever argument you’re making), but we still have the same issues with politics, funding, etc.

Feel free to ignore if you want to keep ignoring the fact that you overreacted after a loss and went on a tirade.

Without going point by point, you said you think he gets one more year after this if we don’t make the tournament and ripped me for “being okay with mediocrity” while saying you’re not, which implies you would be in favor of firing him without pretty significant short-term results.

I mean all of this is true, I guess, for some definition of "significant" and "short-term". I would possibly be in favor of moving on if he can't get us into the tournament this year or next year. Obviously that's not like a rule of thumb I'd follow blindly; if we are in the first four out among a slew of injuries I'd view that quite differently than being way out and healthy. Recruiting will also matter.

Again, your post said you want to give him "as long as it takes." I don't see an interpretation of that that isn't being okay with mediocrity; what if as long as it takes is 10 years?

And, if you don’t think Rutgers has inherent issues that stand in the way of sustained athletic success you’re (possibly willfully) ignorant. We have nicer facilities now and better coaches in the major sports (which runs counter to whatever argument you’re making), but we still have the same issues with politics, funding, etc.

Eh. Those issues are improving and are not so great that they cannot be overcome.

Feel free to ignore if you want to keep ignoring the fact that you overreacted after a loss and went on a tirade.

Me being angry just doesn't invalidate my points. Your constant harping on my emotional state is tiresome.

I mean all of this is true, I guess, for some definition of "significant" and "short-term". I would possibly be in favor of moving on if he can't get us into the tournament this year or next year. Obviously that's not like a rule of thumb I'd follow blindly; if we are in the first four out among a slew of injuries I'd view that quite differently than being way out and healthy. Recruiting will also matter.

Again, your post said you want to give him "as long as it takes." I don't see an interpretation of that that isn't being okay with mediocrity; what if as long as it takes is 10 years?

Eh. Those issues are improving and are not so great that they cannot be overcome.

Me being angry just doesn't invalidate my points. Your constant harping on my emotional state is tiresome.
Track record indicates that it’s incredibly difficult to overcome those issues, as does common sense looking at the conference landscape.

I would give him as long as it takes. I don’t think there’s some Coach K type savior waiting at the door who will guarantee we win every game against ranked opponents. Regardless, even if I was less convinced Pike was right for the job I wouldn’t put out a tournament or bust ultimatum given why he inherited and the obvious progress we’ve seen outside of a few bad weeks.

I would never take either of the Hurleys. Have you ever watched them on the sidelines or listened to Danny,s yelling. I have many times and I personally would be embarrassed if my team had a cry baby as our coach. The language I heard is totally unacceptable for someone to represent RU plus Danny already rejected us twice. I also wouldn't want a former SHU coach who is good but I think Pikiell is better. Pitino, You must be kidding judging by his past history. I prefer someone like Pikiell with much better moral principles.

I would never take either of the Hurleys. Have you ever watched them on the sidelines or listened to Danny,s yelling. I have many times and I personally would be embarrassed if my team had a cry baby as our coach. The language I heard is totally unacceptable for someone to represent RU plus Danny already rejected us twice. I also wouldn't want a former SHU coach who is good but I think Pikiell is better. Pitino, You must be kidding judging by his past history. I prefer someone like Pikiell with much better moral principles.
Yeah, call me crazy but i care alot more about winning than having a “nice guy” represent my team. Nice guys finish last

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT