ADVERTISEMENT

Shutack to Transfer, Seymour to Oline

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Thoughts? Wasn't high on Shutack when he first came in (seemed like a reach) but I think Blazek recently mentioned him as coming along nicely. And Seymour's move is kinda disappointing given our need to beef up the DL.

Last edited:
If anyone transfers or makes a position change that isn't an obvious result of their status on the current depth chart, that's when you get worried. Otherwise it's understandable and seems like a situation where people can move on amicably.

Always thought of Seymour as more of an offensive line prospect. Tall guy who plays a bit upright. Looks more like an offensive tackle than a d-lineman to me.

For those of you thinking we had quality depth on the OL, and/or that Ash is overly happy with it, I'd say this could be a sign that neither may be the case. Then again as a defensive minded coach one would THINK that he knows what he is, and isn't, looking for on that side of the ball. Hopefully it's more a case of the latter and not the former.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Honestly you just don't see too many DT that are 6'6. Usually they have a lower center of mass. Supposedly he's a good athlete and I think he could be a really good OT. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a future starter very soon.

Thoughts? Wasn't high on Shutack when he first came in (seemed like a reach) but I think Blazek recently mentioned him as coming along nicely. And Seymour's move is kinda disappointing given our need to beef up the DL.
Didn't Blazek talk Shutack up this week or am I confusing him with somebody else?

Obviously Ash must like the2 deep beef on D and I think Seymour will be groomed to be LT and he could play on Sundays if he listens and learns for this staff

For those of you thinking we had quality depth on the OL, and/or that Ash is overly happy with it, I'd say this could be a sign that neither may be the case. Then again as a defensive minded coach one would THINK that he knows what he is, and isn't, looking for on that side of the ball. Hopefully it's more a case of the latter and not the former.

Seymour to OL has been discussed for at least a year, maybe as far back as when he signed. I don't believe most here thought the OL was more than 8 deep. It could very well become an issue.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Shutack was one of the biggest reaches we've taken in recent history. That being said, not his fault. Best of luck to the guy!

Based on what I have read, Shutack was a great OL. I guess he is transferring because he didn't make the 2 deep. My question is how come he didn't make it?

Based on what I have read, Shutack was a great OL. I guess he is transferring because he didn't make the 2 deep. My question is how come he didn't make it?

Maybe he realized the players ahead of him are simply better and there are some strong players coming in on the OL next year like Clark, Vretman, Bowles...

Let's put it this way...over the past 10 years, we have had a few OL start who may not have made the current 2 deep. And quite honestly, it's about the top 7 on the OL

Reactions: RU23
That doesn't have to be the only reason...plenty of other reasons - he could be homesick for instance (he's from Illinois).

But as to why he didn't make the 2-deep (if that's the case), it's pretty simple. There's 10 guys on the team who are better - you've got the 5 starters (well 6 if you count Heeman and Denman), plus some decent depth in Applefield, Venesky, Jackson, and Taylor. Applefield is the only guy I'm really confident with throwing into a game if need be, but that's 10. I'm sure Shutack was right there in the mix but if he didn't quite make the cut that's not exactly shocking news.

Sorry not trying to be a dik. But who? I don't think of heard of Shutak

really wanted to see Seymour at DT. 6'6" 310-320 would be a monster in the middle. Something we've never had.

really wanted to see Seymour at DT. 6'6" 310-320 would be a monster in the middle. Something we've never had.

Football guys would have to answer this but isn't there a point where you can be too tall to play DT?

I believe the last 310+lb DT was David Harley around 2003-04.

Football guys would have to answer this but isn't there a point where you can be too tall to play DT?

possible, since it's all about leverage, but there have been tall guys in the NFL who've had lots of success as well.

Seymour to OL has been discussed for at least a year, maybe as far back as when he signed. I don't believe most here thought the OL was more than 8 deep. It could very well become an issue.

Scout had him listed as an OT as a recruit. It is not a shocker that he was moved.

Let's put it this way...over the past 10 years, we have had a few OL start who may not have made the current 2 deep. And quite honestly, it's about the top 7 on the OL

That may be more of an indictment on who we've had starting in the past 10 years.

Arik Armstead (6'8") and DeForest Buckner (6'7") played on Oregon's D-line at one time. Though I think Buckner was more a DE than DT.

Who knows what prompts these young men to transfer. Happens at every school. I just wish they would show a little more patience and try to crack the two deep based upon hard work.

Really comes down to technique and waist/leg athleticism. To be a tall DT you need to be able to play well with leverage. There are quite a few of them in the NFL over the past couple of decades, playing either 3-4 end, 3-4 nose or 4-3 tackle.

Really comes down to technique and waist/leg athleticism. To be a tall DT you need to be able to play well with leverage. There are quite a few of them in the NFL over the past couple of decades, playing either 3-4 end, 3-4 nose or 4-3 tackle.

I believe it was Oregon who had 2 DL this past year 6'7" plus. They may both have been DE.

So are you saying the reason there aren't a lot of 6"6" or 6'7" DTs in college is very few can play "low" enough to be effective?

Who knows what prompts these young men to transfer. Happens at every school. I just wish they would show a little more patience and try to crack the two deep based upon hard work.

Maybe the writing was on the wall, Krimin has supposedly looked very good this summer and then we have Clark and Vretman coming next year. These guys work too hard not to have an opportunity to play.

"a GREAT OL"? Who said that? Where and when? Thanks!
6-foot-6, 275 pounds
Scout Grade 3 stars
Offers from Iowa State, Minnesota, South Carolina State
Interest from Tennessee, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State
Hasn't allowed a sack, was a captain on 14-0 squad that won Class 6A title

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Wasn't Shutack the kid the kid that wanted Tennessee but was left out and fell to us? We have really had a lot of out of state kids flake out of the program the last few years.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
6-foot-6, 275 pounds
Scout Grade 3 stars
Offers from Iowa State, Minnesota, South Carolina State
Interest from Tennessee, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State
Hasn't allowed a sack, was a captain on 14-0 squad that won Class 6A title

So you get "great OL" out of that? Maybe if Tenn, Wiscy, Mich, MSU and PSU had actually offered, you're getting into "very good" status, but still not "great," IMHO.

Appreciate the follow-up, regardless, thank you.

He is a young guy who needs work and to gain more weight so in retrospect I shouldn't have thought he would make the 2 deep.

It seems to me the word most associated with him was "thin". Maybe despite his best efforts he's just not capable of putting on the type of weight RU needs or expects of an OL? Maybe he really wants to play asap and feels his best chance is elsewhere? Maybe it's as simple as he just wasn't happy here?

In any case best of luck to him. I wish him well.

Ash said Seymour was one of the slower DL (as far as quickness and change of direction) and now is the most athletic OL on the team with a chance to play at the next level.

Tough call for me. Do I agree with the guys on this board who know nothing at all about Football or the guy wearing the ring? Hmmmm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT