ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - Opposition to further B1G expansion

ecojew

All American
Feb 1, 2006
It looks like Iowa and Ohio State are opposed to further expansion of the B1G. I'm glad to see it. 16 is the perfect number for a conference. Any more and it loses its identity, ceases to be like a conference, and becomes more of a TV contract negotiating unit. Hopefully RU will join with Iowa and OSU in opposition to any further moves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-to-more-than-16-teams/ar-AA11oPYz?li=BBnbfcL

The additional cost of travel to the Pacific NW would be exorbitant, especially for all of the non-revenue sports teams. Most B1G schools don't have large alumni bases there. If the B1G were to take in Oregon and Washington, it would surely destroy the Pac12 and leave many proud programs out in the cold, ASU and the UofA among them. RU fans should be able to relate to how miserable that would leave the fan bases of those universities because we could easily have suffered the same fate.

Reactions: miket007
Yea I've seen Wilner come out with the news, OSU supposedly is against it but not sure how much I trust him being a west coast guy and he didn't think the USC/UCLA moves were going to happen so I take his info with a grain of salt.

The Iowa AD did have comments that weren't favorable to expansion but I don't know that some midwest admins wanted us or Maryland in either but it still happened.

IMO more west coast expansion will happen, it's just a matter of when. I don't see them leaving USC/UCLA out there on an island permanently. That kind of reasoning but for PSU was part of why RU/Maryland got added. I posted comments from an Athletic article referring to that.

If it's soon then it will have to be in the next year or two just because you want to get in front of the tv deals for the PAC and have it ready at the same time as USC/UCLA or close to it like maybe a year after. If it doesn't happen in that timeframe then every time a tv deal is coming up (next one is 7 years) is a chance for movement again.

Reactions: rucoe89 and MADHAT1
Would that be 7 games in your division and 1 against the other 2 divisions for a total of 9 conference games?
It might even be 2 each with the other divisions.
Depends on how the SEC shapes up.
I truly believe the 2 conferences will set up a AFC/NFC type of playoff in the future for the championship

I truly believe the 2 conferences will set up a AFC/NFC type of playoff in the future for the championship
I do think the conferences will get bigger but I don't think it will be only the SEC and B10 for the championship. That might be a threat that's out there by those conferences but only as a way to make sure the playoff setup is amenable. It's more of an idle threat IMO.

Access and inclusion is important to the health of the sport and I think the SEC/B10 realize that. When the conferences do get bigger though, I could see that as being one factor pushing the playoffs towards 16 teams.

So 11 conference games?

I'm biased, being a Cal alum, but I find it impossible to believe that the Big Ten or USC/UCLA want a situation in which those teams play so many games two or three time zones away. In addition, UCLA is controlled by the University of California Board of Regents, which also governs Cal. Having UCLA and USC in a different conference would be a financial catastrophe for Cal, and so the Regents can be expected to use every bit of leverage at their command to get Cal into the Big Ten. If Cal goes in, Stanford goes in too. That would give the Big Ten the same kind of carriage fees in the San Francisco Bay Area (the 6th largest in the nation) that the Big Ten has in New York (although of course the numbers would be smaller). Washington and Oregon, although smaller markets, are attractive because of the quality of the programs.

This isn't about how many teams will be in a conference; it's about money and nothing else. The new media contract provides for escalation if there is expansion. Having West Coast teams will mean there can always be a 10 p.m. game to show, which means money. Iowa and Ohio State will be more than happy to support further expansion if that can be shown to be in their financial interest, and I think they will come to recognize that it is. But, then again, I'm biased.

Reactions: satnom
Agree as to the number being 24, but I think the Mountain time zone is in play to corral all 4 zones. Look for Colorado and the Denver market.
I would prefer UA and Colorado over Washington and Oregon. Also makes the entire B1G geographically continuous.

I'm biased, being a Cal alum, but I find it impossible to believe that the Big Ten or USC/UCLA want a situation in which those teams play so many games two or three time zones away. In addition, UCLA is controlled by the University of California Board of Regents, which also governs Cal. Having UCLA and USC in a different conference would be a financial catastrophe for Cal, and so the Regents can be expected to use every bit of leverage at their command to get Cal into the Big Ten. If Cal goes in, Stanford goes in too. That would give the Big Ten the same kind of carriage fees in the San Francisco Bay Area (the 6th largest in the nation) that the Big Ten has in New York (although of course the numbers would be smaller). Washington and Oregon, although smaller markets, are attractive because of the quality of the programs.

This isn't about how many teams will be in a conference; it's about money and nothing else. The new media contract provides for escalation if there is expansion. Having West Coast teams will mean there can always be a 10 p.m. game to show, which means money. Iowa and Ohio State will be more than happy to support further expansion if that can be shown to be in their financial interest, and I think they will come to recognize that it is. But, then again, I'm biased.
From the beginning I wanted Cal and Stanford in

That ship has sailed long time ago.

Rutgers should be in the conference that has the following schools: BC, Cuse, Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Maryland.
Our band was at BC today and will be at Temple. They can do a day trip at these schools.
When they went to Indiana last year, it was a 12 hour bus ride.

Like it or not, we are a pro team now masquerading as a college team.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
That ship has sailed long time ago.

Rutgers should be in the conference that has the following schools: BC, Cuse, Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Maryland.
Our band was at BC today and will be at Temple. They can do a day trip at these schools.

And WVU and VaTech

Rutgers should be in the conference that has the following schools: BC, Cuse, Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Maryland..our band was at BC today and will be at Temple. They can do a day trip at these schools.

That conference is WAY worse than what we have today. Is your logic based on bringing a band??? If so, I would ditch our band to stay in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT