ADVERTISEMENT

Skill set or mindset?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
When shots fall, they hit 15 in a row. When they don’t, they miss 20 in a row.

Is that a skill set it mindset? I feel it’s the latter.

Reactions: RUBOB72

Both. These kids allow bad shooting to get into they're head and they forgot how good they can be.

its always been the mindset
and that’s why we are in a bad way. Who fixes that? The coach? Not in his dna. He’s mr happy. They need a thicker skin. The only way they get that is tough love. Period.

It’s an absolute mindset

I’ve never seen a decent RU team be so affected (positive or negative) by the outcome of their last shot as this team ....

Reactions: SBP
Mindset.

Defense, rebounding, and hustle would make up for our inconsistency or lack of shooting.

Now this team thinks they can just show up and compete on any given night without bringing any of the above.

Reactions: rufeelinit and SBP
It’s not having any interior offense. Myles and Cliff contrbute no offense except for high screens and because of that the defense only has to defend the three. So if those aren’t falling the team isn’t competitive. Cliff is only a freshman. Myles has never developed any offensive ability.

It’s not having any interior offense. Myles and Cliff contrbute no offense except for high screens and because of that the defense only has to defend the three. So if those aren’t falling the team isn’t competitive. Cliff is only a freshman. Myles has never developed any offensive ability.

Myles has decent post moves when he has space to operate. If you notice, he got off to a good start offensively against MD then was doubled.. and he was neutralized. Nebraska basically had 2-3 folks in the paint all night. We couldn't hit the 3 and the rest was history. Sad part is that this is like a broken record and the coaching staff simply let the players continue to miss from three.

Reactions: SBP
No, the threes are all contested. Ball movement isn’t always sharp but not having any inside production at all (lack of talent) kills the offense. Sometimes hot shooting bails us out but overall the lack of frontcourt skill is brutal

Myles has decent post moves when he has space to operate. If you notice, he got off to a good start offensively against MD then was doubled.. and he was neutralized. Nebraska basically had 2-3 folks in the paint all night. We couldn't hit the 3 and the rest was history. Sad part is that this is like a broken record and the coaching staff simply let the players continue to miss from three.
Yes teams pack it in and dare us to shoot. With our percentages, that’s a great philosophy

guys....you watched this game and explain Myles 2 points as him being the focus of the defense ? We got no open threes. Neb did not emphasize defending Myles. They focused very successfully on shutting down long range shooting

Mindset. What I saw tonight was a bunch of dudes who looked like they didn't care instead of hungry players who have a chance to make history in what is arguably the strongest bball conference year EVER.

Both. Mentally they are weak and though they are all good athletes, they are missing one thing. The ability to shoot well with consistency. It's a key skill in the game of basketball. Putting the ball through the hoop.

Some night it's on, many it's not. When it isn't, they often stop defending. LIke tonight. Zero toughness.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Both. These kids allow bad shooting to get into they're head and they forgot how good they can be.
Well maybe that is a reason teams pay coaches...to coach and cajole in times of frustration by there underlings.

Reactions: RU MAN
guys....you watched this game and explain Myles 2 points as him being the focus of the defense ? We got no open threes. Neb did not emphasize defending Myles. They focused very successfully on shutting down long range shooting

I just re-watched the first three possessions of the game because I have a few minutes before my next meeting. The Nebraska defense was sagged down in the paint leading to 3 open threes. Harper missed his.. Paul hit his and Geo missed his. Paul and Geo's threes were not contested at all.

Myles was simply surrounded by Nebraska players - leaving open shooters. For a normal team with decent outside shooting, kicking the ball out to open threes is the right basketball play. But we don't shoot well so need to turn down those shots, unless it's late in the shot clock.

Reactions: ricdrul
They packed the paint to take away the inside game and the so called shooter couldn't make shots to open up the paint!!!! Bad 3 point shooters not great 3 point def

Too much time on social media. Not enough effort. Seems like it’s really all or nothing with effort.
Players can work on their shooting skills all hours of the day in the practice facility .Sadly,there has been very little noticeable improvement in their shooting 3 pointers or foul shots.Far better recruiting is the answer for future teams.

Reactions: bac2therac
This team has been a mental disaster since the injuries/the 5-game streak. We're the Jekyll-and-Hyde of the B1G right now. Something ain't right in the locker room you can BET on that one. You can see it on the court almost the minute things go poorly. I was stunned that we came back on IU but, once we started, you could see the difference in our play TO THE MAN out there. Total "mindset" with this group IMHO.

It a little of both...they both feed and nurture each other.

Its both and what is really striking is that they tend to all go bad at the same time. For awhile they were doing enough to get by while waiting for Ron to get hot again but the numbers don't lie, we don't have good confident shooters. During the few times where we do pass the ball to get an open look guys are reluctant to take it. That is a lack of confidence. Expect to see a lot more zone to prevent our lousy hero ball offense until some outside shots start to fall.

No one on this team is an alpha. Geo or Ron aren't the type to say, "F it...I'm winning this game myself, come hell or high water." They need to demand the ball and take control of games.

ADVERTISEMENT