ADVERTISEMENT

SKWC questions

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
A few questions here.

1.) Why does wrestling have all of these training clubs and not other sports? Is it because of the lack of professional or semi-pro options after college? I don't mean AAU for basketball, or 7v7 for football, because you don't usually see college and post-college players on those types of teams wrestling along with high school kids.

2.) Are there ever recruiting rules about whether HS kids can join? Participate? We hear about the kids wrestling there all the time.

3.) Could I join and practice out of the blue with zero wrestling experience as long as I pay the dues, or is it a lot more structured and invite-only unlike a local Crossfit? (No, I have no plans to be wrestling or joining, purely hypothetical.)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
A few questions here.

1.) Why does wrestling have all of these training clubs and not other sports? Is it because of the lack of professional or semi-pro options after college? I don't mean AAU for basketball, or 7v7 for football, because you don't usually see college and post-college players on those types of teams wrestling along with high school kids.

2.) Are there ever recruiting rules about whether HS kids can join? Participate? We hear about the kids wrestling there all the time.

3.) Could I join and practice out of the blue with zero wrestling experience as long as I pay the dues, or is it a lot more structured and invite-only unlike a local Crossfit? (No, I have no plans to be wrestling or joining, purely hypothetical.)

1.Yes, post grad wrestlers that want to continue their wrestling career need a place to train. It is a win win for the post grad and the college kids.. The college wrestlers get to work out with men and helps them both.

2.Yes there are recruiting rules about HS kids practicing at SKWC. I think that a HS wrestler must live within 75 miles(there is a set mileage limit) of the club(Unless this has changed recently) Any HS wrestler within that range can join and practice.

3-It is not invite only, but a "lesser skilled" wrestler will find out quickly that they are over their head. Lol

Reactions: rubigtimenow
A few questions here.

The best person to respond to these questions is Joe Pollard the team's volunteer coach and the head of SKWC LLC (jpollard@scarletknights.com). The LLC is a for profit club which runs summer camps and practices during the year.

The SKWC, Inc. is a not for profit that supports wrestling. The funds the SKWC, Inc raises help to support coaching salaries including Joe Pollard, Billy Ashnault, and the resident athletes as well as helps to send team members to various training venues. There are many benefits for supporters who join the SKWC, Inc. For more information please contact Brian Paich, the Membership Chairman, (bpaich@aol.com). The Golf Outing and Pin Pool are the major fundraisers that support the SKWC, Inc.

You may also contact me for more information (davidbugen@gmail.com)

Reactions: demauroj
For what it is worth.....wrestling gets a different look by the NCAA as far as ancillary organizations and support groups. It's well done. With respect to the SKWC you could not have a better and more dedicated and honest group of volunteers involved...WG, Dave Bugen and Brian are tops along with several others. And Goodale and his staff have done and continue to do an outstanding job in promoting the sport. Also important is the close relationship with Princeton in promoting wrestling etc. This is unique as we do not see this type of relationship in any other sport.

I joined recently. They mail you a list of 'dos' & don'ts' on what is and isn't permitted as being a fan and booster.
Plus you get a 20 percent off card for anything from Scarlet Fever in NB. Future invites to meetings, newsletters etc.
I'm looking forward to a fabulous 2017-18 season. I already recruited 2 other friends to buy season tickets with me fro this fabulous home schedule.

Reactions: josh1728
ADVERTISEMENT