ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeping on Reiber?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Many of you are relegating him to the backup center roll. Saying Mag will start ..

In what world, outside of his defense, and even that is open to debate, do you think Mag is a better BASKETBALL PLAYER than Reiber? He isn’t…..“Athlete”? Perhaps, again debatable. Shooter? Not even close. BBall court awareness? Nope.

Dean will start at the 4 over Mag. He will for sure play more minutes, between the 4 and 5. If we get a solid backup big man to spell Cliff, Dean will flourish at 4.

So, debate all you want, but his improvement last year to this year shows me he will continue that this year to next season.

I don’t see him being a starter but I do like Reiber. I see him coming off the bench and being a decent contributor.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I was the original Dean truther when everyone said he sucked, but there is no evidence that Dean will play the 4.

The fact that we aren't even looking at 5's in the portal since Cliff came back says he is the backup 5.

If Pike was planning to start Dean at the 4, we 100% would be taking a 5.

It appears the plan is for Dean to add a few pounds of muscle and be Cliff's backup. 30+ min will open up after next year when Cliff likely is gone.

He could play some spurts at the 4 possibly. He doesn't fit the mold of the 4's Pike has played. Harper and Hyatt last year Yeboah before that.

Whether you WANT him to play the 4 is irrelevant. All evidence points to Pike not going that direction

Many of you are relegating him to the backup center roll. Saying Mag will start ..

In what world, outside of his defense, and even that is open to debate, do you think Mag is a better BASKETBALL PLAYER than Reiber? He isn’t…..“Athlete”? Perhaps, again debatable. Shooter? Not even close. BBall court awareness? Nope.

Dean will start at the 4 over Mag. He will for sure play more minutes, between the 4 and 5. If we get a solid backup big man to spell Cliff, Dean will flourish at 4.

So, debate all you want, but his improvement last year to this year shows me he will continue that this year to next season.
Mrs. Reiber, welcome to the Rutgers Men's Basketball message board....😀😀😀😀

Reiber will be a very nice backup, hopefully he works on his stamina and shoots more 3 pointers with his feet set...40% would be nice.

Last edited:

Straight up Mag is a better player. Can Mag stay healthy is different question. And also Reiber can’t defend most 4’s. Gotta play both ways.

I was the original Dean truther when everyone said he sucked, but there is no evidence that Dean will play the 4.

The fact that we aren't even looking at 5's in the portal since Cliff came back says he is the backup 5.

If Pike was planning to start Dean at the 4, we 100% would be taking a 5.

It appears the plan is for Dean to add a few pounds of muscle and be Cliff's backup. 30+ min will open up after next year when Cliff likely is gone.

He could play some spurts at the 4 possibly. He doesn't fit the mold of the 4's Pike has played. Harper and Hyatt last year Yeboah before that.

Whether you WANT him to play the 4 is irrelevant. All evidence points to Pike not going that direction
Reiber is too good of a player to play garbage backup minutes at the 5. He should have a big role next year.

Reiber is too good of a player to play garbage backup minutes at the 5. He should have a big role next year.
I'm talking about predicting what actually will happen.

If Pike was going to start Dean at the 4 as OP stated, we would obviously be pursuing another 5. We aren't as of yet. That would signal Dean's role is the backup 5.

If we bring in a talented 5, the discussion opens back up

Mag’s a 3, Hyatt’s the 4 ya gotta worry about Patty Reiber 😂

Wow. No clue.
Some supposed MBB gurus really don’t know Jack about a player like Reiber. He proved them all wrong this season. I actually like Dean as first off the bench . Think he makes that perfect 6th man for Rutgers. If Caleb does return we have a decent shot to make some noise again in the conference . Still want another B1G as a swing guy between Cliff and Dean a flex Center / Forward about 6’8”-6’9” 235-240lbs. Do that and my expectations rise up for the season.

I like what Reiber did in some games later in the season but let's relax and pump the breaks. I think he will be a good back up to Cliff. I hope he takes and makes a bunch of 3's off the bench.

BUT, Let's be real....he had a breakout game against MSU with 12 points, 2-3 on threes. However, in the last 10 games after that he averaged 2.8 points per game and scored 28 points over to those 10 games. The OP is making him out to be Larry Bird.

I like what Reiber did in some games later in the season but let's relax and pump the breaks. I think he will be a good back up to Cliff. I hope he takes and makes a bunch of 3's off the bench.

BUT, Let's be real....he had a breakout game against MSU with 12 points, 2-3 on threes. However, in the last 10 games after that he averaged 2.8 points per game and scored 28 points over to those 10 games. The OP is making him out to be Larry Bird.
The OP is saying he’s better than mag. Not exactly a high bar.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
The OP is saying he’s better than mag. Not exactly a high bar.
Reiber is statistically, objectively way better than Mag offensively. It’s just we were all surprised every time a Reiber shot went in for some reason lol.

I tend to agree with the OP, though. I just think that Mag’s mainly a 3 and Reiber will moreso need to compete with Hyatt for minutes. I could see something like this being ideal early on:

C: Cliff (32) Reiber (8)
PF: Hyatt (22) Reiber (12) Oskar (4) Mag (2)
SF: Caleb (28) Mag (12)
SG: Spencer (28) Simpson (8) Caleb (4)
PG: Mulcahy (32) Miller (8)

Then in big games we’ll obviously just go 8-deep, Oskar probably won’t play and the worse player between Simpson and Miller won’t either.

Reiber is statistically, objectively way better than Mag offensively. It’s just we were all surprised every time a Reiber shot went in for some reason lol.

I tend to agree with the OP, though. I just think that Mag’s mainly a 3 and Reiber will moreso need to compete with Hyatt for minutes. I could see something like this being ideal early on:

C: Cliff (32) Reiber (8)
PF: Hyatt (22) Reiber (12) Oskar (4) Mag (2)
SF: Caleb (28) Mag (12)
SG: Spencer (28) Simpson (8) Caleb (4)
PG: Mulcahy (32) Miller (8)

Then in big games we’ll obviously just go 8-deep, Oskar probably won’t play and the worse player between Simpson and Miller won’t either.
It all depends on who develops this off-season. Hyatt is in his 5th year and probably is what he is already. Mag and reiber or even Oskar still have potential to take a leap as an upperclassman.

It all depends on who develops this off-season. Hyatt is in his 5th year and probably is what he is already. Mag and reiber or even Oskar still have potential to take a leap as an upperclassman.
Agreed, it was just a guess for now. But I think the sample size has been enough so far that we know Mag, Reiber, Hyatt, and Oskar will probably not be good enough for 30 minutes a night, so imo they’ll all play ~20 except Oskar who I think we’ve also seen enough of to know he probably won’t contribute much.

Reactions: chrebet80
It's almost like some people in this thread have not watched college basketball in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and even before that.

Dean Reiber is not a 4. He cannot guard 4's in the B1G or elsewhere. Today, with "some exceptions" those guys are 6-6, 6-7 and they mostly play on the perimeter. Reiber would get roasted unless Rutgers plays zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU84 and Scangg
It's almost like people have not watched college basketball in 2020, 2021, 2022.

Dean Reiber is not a 4. He cannot guard 4's in the B1G or elsewhere. Today, with some exceptions those guys are 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 and they mostly play on the perimeter. Reiber would get roasted unless Rutgers plays zone.
You realize in those cases that a 6-6 guy would then have to guard him on the other end right?

Reactions: MiloTalon13 and SBP
You realize in those cases that a 6-6 guy would then have to guard him on the other end right?
Yep and what does that mean? I guess every college coach Will do this next year. Put a 6'10 inch guy at the 4 in 2022 so he will have a big height advantage.... Brillant !! Even more brilliant is put him at the 3 and his height advantage would be huge...😀

Are you saying Reiber is such a strong offensive post player that he would dominate? ..😀😀

Last edited:
Yep and what does that mean? Are you saying Reiber is such a strong offensive post player that he would dominate? ..😀😀
I’m saying it would create a mismatch on the other end of the court that you totally ignore. But by all means if you’re happy watching mag and Hyatt jack up 3s at a 20% clip then by all means have at it.

Reactions: Rokodesh
I’m saying it would create a mismatch on the other end of the court that you totally ignore. But by all means if you’re happy watching mag and Hyatt jack up 3s at a 20% clip then by all means have at it.
Dude, if it was that simple as getting a height mismatch every college coach in America would do it. But, they don't. There's a reason why they don't.

Dude, if it was that simple as getting a height mismatch every college coach in America would do it. But, they don't. There's a reason why they don't.
Lol says the guy who assumes Hyatt is stoping people on the perimeter. Guess we were watching different people last season. Reiber is no star but he would be more of a mismatch for an undersized pf on the offensive end than Hyatt. If you can’t admit that then I think we’re done here.

Reactions: Captain Hogleg
Lol says the guy who assumes Hyatt is stoping people on the perimeter. Guess we were watching different people last season. Reiber is no star but he would be more of a mismatch for an undersized pf on the offensive end than Hyatt. If you can’t admit that then I think we’re done here.
Yea, you are done. 😂

Reiber and Mag both had games where you were like "all right, I see it" but then they'd completely disappear after that. We need far more consistency from both of them. The ceiling is there but it's a roll of the dice.

The Mag vs Dean comparisons are weird. They are completely different players. They aren't interchangeable in any way
Did you expect anything better from the OP?

Dean's a good bench piece/role player for Pike and provides some valuable minutes. A lot of Reiber's threes were uncontested shots because opposing coaches didn't feel they had to account for him on D earlier in the season. He did not have those wide open looks at the end of the season. So how he adjusts will be a big factor this coming season.

Mag is due to breakout IMO. We saw him starting to put it together and then he got hurt and it impacted him. Hopefully he be an 8-10 ppg guy this year if he's starting.

Those two 3s Mag shot in the Notre Dame game in the second half still haunt me

Deans best strength will be a scoring punch off the bench. I still think he works best as a stretch 5 and gives us another look to throw at teams.
I worry big time about our perimeter d next year. Mulcahy struggles on that end and it looks like Spencer’s weakness will be staying in front of guards as well. It’s going to be tough to stop anyone with mulcahy/Spencer/reiber lineup.
You know what this roster calls for? Maybe a defending big ten DPOY? 😉

I don't think any opponent's coach gave much (any?) time on planning on how to defend against Reiber or how to expose his defense. Reiber is good but his true level would be revealed with more playtime and a larger role. He is not a B1G starter.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Reiber had some excellent moments, and his play at time was intriguing. But I don't feel as if I can expect him to be a productive scorer as a starter, at least not yet. I'm ready to be surprised, though, if necessary.

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm talking about predicting what actually will happen.

If Pike was going to start Dean at the 4 as OP stated, we would obviously be pursuing another 5. We aren't as of yet. That would signal Dean's role is the backup 5.

If we bring in a talented 5, the discussion opens back up
I think the biggest issue is that it is very hard to find a quality big who is willing to play backup minutes, so we can’t have Reiber playing the 4 and picking up fouls and then have a problem at the end of the game if both he and Cliff are in foul trouble.

That said, I think is he more than capable of playing the 4, on defense it is largely about positioning, as a taller player, he can play his man a little further off and he should be fine. Plus it would greatly help one of our biggest problems the last couple of years, rebounding. And he would be a matchup problem on the other end of the court, especially with his range.

If we play zone D, it’s possible Dean could get a few minutes at the 4. It’s also possible in set situations where we want to emphasize the perimeter game that we sub Dean and Mag in and out offense / defense. I could see Dean playing 5 or so minutes a game with Cliff on the floor but probably not more than that.

Hyatt should only be allowed on the court if he passes within a half second of rebounding the ball.

• Angry
ADVERTISEMENT