ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeping on Reiber?

Did you expect anything better from the OP?

Dean's a good bench piece/role player for Pike and provides some valuable minutes. A lot of Reiber's threes were uncontested shots because opposing coaches didn't feel they had to account for him on D earlier in the season. He did not have those wide open looks at the end of the season. So how he adjusts will be a big factor this coming season.

Mag is due to breakout IMO. We saw him starting to put it together and then he got hurt and it impacted him. Hopefully he be an 8-10 ppg guy this year if he's starting.
Ok so Mag is ready for a breakout, and Dean isn’t? Dean hit open 3s because know one guarded him. Hmm. OK.

Ok so Mag is ready for a breakout, and Dean isn’t? Dean hit open 3s because know one guarded him. Hmm. OK.
If we ever go with a press, Dean should be on the floor playing in the middle. He was awesome in that role this year. It’s the only time I believe we saw him and Cliff on the floor together though.

Reactions: Scangg
Last season was Dean's breakout that's why you're talking about him now and wanting him to be a potential starter. Dean will continue to grow as a player no doubt but Mag is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. I think we would have seen it last year if not for the injury because he was starting to come on.

Don't let your bias get in the way of the conversation. You're trying to hard to be Dean's public defender when he doesn't need one.

Did you expect anything better from the OP?

Dean's a good bench piece/role player for Pike and provides some valuable minutes. A lot of Reiber's threes were uncontested shots because opposing coaches didn't feel they had to account for him on D earlier in the season. He did not have those wide open looks at the end of the season. So how he adjusts will be a big factor this coming season.

Mag is due to breakout IMO. We saw him starting to put it together and then he got hurt and it impacted him. Hopefully he be an 8-10 ppg guy this year if he's starting.
Penn state was literally the last game of the season. Thinking mag is due for a breakout is nothing more than wishful thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and SBP
Reiber will be a solid 4th option IMO.

I think he is who he is and won’t be a dominant force, but will be the guy that’s easy to forget about with good ball movement.

Pick and pop or pick and fade for a smooth jumper IMO.

The problem is he will require ball movement to be successful. We’ll see how the offense looks next season.

Penn state was literally the last game of the season. Thinking mag is due for a breakout is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Yeah many thought the same when I posted on the pay side that I expected Cliff to be 8-10 ppg going into last season and look at how that turned out.

Wishful thinking would be expecting Palmquist to average 10-12 ppg next season.

Yeah many thought the same when I posted on the pay side that I expected Cliff to be 8-10 ppg going into last season and look at how that turned out.

Wishful thinking would be expecting Palmquist to average 10-12 ppg next season.
Cliff was a top 30 recruit in the nation and has nba potential. To even compare him to mag is laughable. Yikes.

Same thing we saw from Eugene O. from Year 1 to 2 to 3. It's called development. Not a hard concept for most rational people to understand. Same with Reiber.
Both were players I said would be ballers when many thought they stunk. Same with Caleb.

Too much looking at numbers and results early freshman year and not at potential and skill set and projecting forward. The board overall isn't good at this

Cliff was a top 30 recruit in the nation and has nba potential. To even compare him to mag is laughable. Yikes.
Now we know you're clueless, Cliff was extremely raw on offense coming out of HS and averaged less than 4 ppg in his first season. The point is large improvements can happen from one year to the next and lead to a breakout season for Mag. It's not hard to see unless you keep your eyes wide shut like many did with Cliff's offensive development.

Reiber is statistically, objectively way better than Mag offensively. It’s just we were all surprised every time a Reiber shot went in for some reason lol.

I tend to agree with the OP, though. I just think that Mag’s mainly a 3 and Reiber will moreso need to compete with Hyatt for minutes. I could see something like this being ideal early on:

C: Cliff (32) Reiber (8)
PF: Hyatt (22) Reiber (12) Oskar (4) Mag (2)
SF: Caleb (28) Mag (12)
SG: Spencer (28) Simpson (8) Caleb (4)
PG: Mulcahy (32) Miller (8)

Then in big games we’ll obviously just go 8-deep, Oskar probably won’t play and the worse player between Simpson and Miller won’t either.

That looks about right.

Both were players I said would be ballers when many thought they stunk. Same with Caleb.

Too much looking at numbers and results early freshman year and not at potential and skill set and projecting forward. The board overall isn't good at this

I loved Caleb from freshman year on

Let’s hope that the entire team makes a leap with their strength training and offensive/ defensive skills. Plus team development in ball movement and inbounding. We will have the potential to be a competitive team.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
U saw wut u wanted to see. Reality is he is slow of foot, hard time in traffic, no post moves, skinny, weak, gets pushed around, so so hands.
There were a few match ups where he looked this way. On the other hand, there were favorable match ups where he looked like a stud.

Also don’t forget the shocked strings on here with how productive the press was on multiple occasions last year using line ups with Dean that didn’t include Geo or Harper. The spot pressure was, on average, more effective than anyone could’ve realistically predicted without our returning kid - Dean was the focal point of that (he deserves a lot of the credit for the way it was executed). I do hope Pike finds ways to use that press and would expect Dean to be on the floor when we run it. He doesn’t get enough credit for how good he was with the full pressure.

My opinion of Reiber changed a lot this past season--from way over his head to a valuable bench player. I think he'll see more minutes this season though Mag, dependent upon the portal.

Dean is more of a system player--plays well within a structure. He can hit the jump shot from 15 feet to 3 pointers, cuts very well, and can use his left hand. Needs to develop a mean streak to be a better rebounder.

I see Mag as the guy you bring in off the bench for a spark. High energy guy, intense defender, good rebounder. He gets himself into trouble offensively when he's too aggressive.

With current lineup, I could see Dean averaging close to 20 mins and Mag just over ten.

Reiber is actually pretty athletic although he doesn’t necessarily look it. He’s quick and smart. He actually has good hands for a big man. He could use strength for sure but he’s also still learning how to use his body and what strength he has. Judging by his HS tapes he didn’t face much competition and his defense etc was really bad. He’s developing and improved vastly. He is probably just scratching the surface of what he can become.

Reactions: SBP and Scangg
U saw wut u wanted to see. Reality is he is slow of foot, hard time in traffic, no post moves, skinny, weak, gets pushed around, so so hands.

Perhaps you are the one who is seeing it the way you want to see it as most disagree with you. He actually has pretty soft hands and a strong lower core. He has a nice outside touch, and improved on his post game over the past 2 seasons. His D can be hit and miss, but that does not mean he is not a BIG player as you described. Every team needs players like Dean - while he may not be a superstar, he is definitely a contributor - especially as a back-up C (I don't really see him as the solution at the 4).

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
Hyatt, 2 games 30+ min games(LSU), 14 20-29 min games(8 LSU/6 RU),
33 mins vs Alabama 8pts, 8 reb, 32 mins vs SBA 13pts, 10rebs

Mag, 5 games 20-29 min games
29min vs Purdue 12 pts, 3reb, 22min @ UMass 12pts, 4 reb, 22min @ SHU 8 pts, 4reb, 22min @ NW 2pts, 5 reb, 20 min @ Neb 13pts, 7reb

Reiber, 9 games of 10-17 min, he hasn't even gotten 20 minutes in any game
17 min vs Neb 10pts, 4reb, 10 min vs MSU 12pts, 2 ast

Dean has to work on rebounding in the off season to see more time at the 4 or 5, he has a good offensive game, very skilled passer for a big, can defend and is a willing defender of the post, rebounding is preventing him from playing more. Oskar has had 4 reb and 3 reb in limited 10-12 minute games.

Reiber is actually pretty athletic although he doesn’t necessarily look it. He’s quick and smart. He actually has good hands for a big man. He could use strength for sure but he’s also still learning how to use his body and what strength he has. Judging by his HS tapes he didn’t face much competition and his defense etc was really bad. He’s developing and improved vastly. He is probably just scratching the surface of what he can become.
If Rieber got some tats the board's opinion of his athleticism and ceiling would instantly improve haha.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
My opinion of Reiber changed a lot this past season--from way over his head to a valuable bench player. I think he'll see more minutes this season though Mag, dependent upon the portal.

Dean is more of a system player--plays well within a structure. He can hit the jump shot from 15 feet to 3 pointers, cuts very well, and can use his left hand. Needs to develop a mean streak to be a better rebounder.

I see Mag as the guy you bring in off the bench for a spark. High energy guy, intense defender, good rebounder. He gets himself into trouble offensively when he's too aggressive.

With current lineup, I could see Dean averaging close to 20 mins and Mag just over ten.
So you have Dean playing significant minutes at the 4

I don’t have him at the 4 if we’re playing a traditional halfcourt style. Can’t see that.

But I could see Pike pressing for a stretch at the end of the first half (the time he likes to dump a bunch of his subs in). Maybe with Simpson and/or Miller playing alongside Mag. Regardless - Dean deserves to be the first option for the spot in the middle of the court when we run press with Cliff as the rim protector down low (if he’s not in foul trouble) or Hyatt.

The returning kids played a decent amount of press minutes for Pike last year (Geo and RHJ didn’t press much to avoid foul trouble) and we overall we had more success with it than we’ve had in years. I’d expect pike to fold in at least 5-8 minutes of pressing a game. An effective press can mask many defensive weaknesses.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think Dean, Hyatt, and Mag should all play about 20-25 mins a game unless someone really breaks out. To make that happen, Dean will need to play at least 10-15 minutes at the 4. Hyatt will get the majority of the other 4 minutes and Mag will mostly play backup 3 with some minutes at the 4 sprinkled in.

• Haha
I think Dean, Hyatt, and Mag should all play about 20-25 mins a game unless someone really breaks out. To make that happen, Dean will need to play at least 10-15 minutes at the 4. Hyatt will get the majority of the other 4 minutes and Mag will mostly play backup 3 with some minutes at the 4 sprinkled in.
This is possible. Hyatt’s minutes will all be at the 4. How Pike handles the rest of the 4 minutes is one of the more interesting items for this team next year.

If Caleb comes back that reduces Mag's minutes at the 3 which would increase his minutes at the 4 and decrease Dean's 4 minutes IMO

Reactions: needmorecowbell
This is possible. Hyatt’s minutes will all be at the 4. How Pike handles the rest of the 4 minutes is one of the more interesting items for this team next year.

If Caleb comes back that reduces Mag's minutes at the 3 which would increase his minutes at the 4 and decrease Dean's 4 minutes IMO
The press is kind of the wildcard factor in terms of how much Pike will use it. Becomes sort of positionless defense. Pike also utilizes offense / defense subbing at times. Those things could impact the minute allocations amongst Mag, Hyatt, Dean too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT