ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: Thanksgiving Traditions

RU85inFla

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
I saw the thread on Alice’s Resturant and March of the Wooden soldiers and thought I’d create a favorite thanksgiving tradition post.

I’ll start. Down here in Jacksonville we leave grandma home with the turkey and head out to Pete’s Bar for a street festival of music, bloody mary’s, screwdrivers and mimosas. Here are some pics.

Happy Thanksgiving

2-Pilgrims-and-cute-Indian-girl-in-middle21.png
petesbar.jpg

Reactions: beaced
For the longest time it was driving out to Ohio to visit with my grandparents but my grandmother lives in NJ now. We'd always go to see the lights at Oglebay in West Virginy.

Now we don't really do anything special outside of the typical days events. Watching the parade, cooking, football and a Christmas movie to close out the night.

I’ll start. Down here in Jacksonville we leave grandma home with the turkey and head out to Pete’s Bar for a street festival of music, bloody mary’s, screwdrivers and mimosas. Here are some pics.

Happy Thanksgiving

petesbar.jpg
(your squaw looks like she's a lot of fun..meant in a respectful manner)
nice..I'm jealous..

Up to last year I always hosted and it was a very busy night before & morning of. Now my son has a house and is on year 2 of hosting. I'll start a nice fire in the pit and sip something good...but I need to find one of these events...maybe New Hope or Lambertville has something. Cheers!

nice..I'm jealous..

Up to last year I always hosted and it was a very busy night before & morning of. Now my son has a house and is on year 2 of hosting. I'll start a nice fire in the pit and sip something good...but I need to find one of these events...maybe New Hope or Lambertville has something. Cheers!
Not my squaw but a friends. Live the shirt though.

Always start my day with a HS Football game.

I used to watch Channel 11's (WPIX) broadcast of the annual Iona Prep vs New Rochelle HS game with Aubrey Lewis and Marty Glickman. I had no rooting interest in the game but watched it nonetheless. I think the game was played at around 10 am on Thanksgiving.

Watching the Macy's Day Parade and listening to Alice's Restaurant with our youngest son Corey.
Always start my day with a HS Football game.
A long dead tradition for me: Wayne Hills used to play a particular school every Thanksgiving (Fairlawn?), and my best friend from HS and I used to go to it.

When I was a youngster it was going with my dad to the West Orange - Columbia football game. When I was married it was going to the In-Laws.

I worked the last 20 Thanksgivings so I don't have any traditions these days. Not going to miss the 1,200-1,400 people that'd come to the restaurant. It was a long day that'd actually start Wednesday night making gallons of Bloody Mary mix and loading up on all the other stuff we'd need . Will miss the $$$.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Our tradition starts on Wednesday. Log on the fire and we set up "A Christmas Carol" village and "A Christmas Story" village while listening to a 1938 radio recording of "A Christmas Carol" narrated by Orson Wells with Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge. Then watch Mr Magoo "Christmas Carol." Pies get made Wednesday. Thursday is usually the Pway vs. Franklin football game followed by Thanksgiving dinner, NFL game, "March of the Wooden Soldiers" and "A Christmas Story." Love the holiday!

nice..I'm jealous..

Nothing similar to Shadfest, but there's the South Hunterdon vs New Hope HS game to start the day.

here in Florida it always was Turkey with all the trimmings about my houseboat in the Keys on Thurs then seafood the rest of the weekend.

But I am RElocating home port after IRMA to the Bradenton area so I shall have cocktails aboard my PURA VIDA on its trailer just THIS year & it will be TGiving moored near Longboat Key from there on,,,,

Thanksgiving was always at our house growing up.

Now my sister does it. Sometime could be up to 60 people.

Told my wife when we got married...just want Thanksgiving. That one is mine.

This year Long Branch at Red Bank Wednesday night. Hopefully us Buccaneers can be respectful tomorrow night. Then some clay bird shooting Thursday off the dock with family before dinner.

Off to the Philly Thanksgiving Parade. Been going to this a long time. Start at the Art Museum (the finish line) and slowly walk towards City Hall. Visit friends along the way, some are 2nd generation adults who set up in the same spot every year and now watch their kids enjoy the parade. Cool stuff. Get to 16th and the Parkway around 10:30 just in time to see Santa and the Mrs turn the corner. Can see the whole parade in a hour and a half. Just need to walk a bit.
Then onto The Twin Smoke Shoppe cigar store, which is a fairly new tradition. A reunion of sorts. All of us used to live in South Philly but now spread out, including the owner Anthony. He opens the store for about an hour. We all load up on cigars but no one leaves, greeting old friends as they walk through the door while enjoying a nice smoke. Must have thick skin for this gang, pure ball busting nonstop the entire time and loads of laughter. A great tradition that has produced some awesome memories in a short time. From there a quick stop to my buddy's bar, O'Neal's, host of several Rutgers bowl game watch parties. My longest tradition going back to The Turkey Bowl touch football game O'Neal's vs Dobbs.
Leave at half time of the first game and on to dinner. Than watch my Dallas Cowboys.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Reactions: Peteyd
Off to the Philly Thanksgiving Parade. Been going to this a long time. Start at the Art Museum (the finish line) and slowly walk towards City Hall. Visit friends along the way, some are 2nd generation adults who set up in the same spot every year and now watch their kids enjoy the parade. Cool stuff. Get to 16th and the Parkway around 10:30 just in time to see Santa and the Mrs turn the corner. Can see the whole parade in a hour and a half. Just need to walk a bit.
Then onto The Twin Smoke Shoppe cigar store, which is a fairly new tradition. A reunion of sorts. All of us used to live in South Philly but now spread out, including the owner Anthony. He opens the store for about an hour. We all load up on cigars but no one leaves, greeting old friends as they walk through the door while enjoying a nice smoke. Must have thick skin for this gang, pure ball busting nonstop the entire time and loads of laughter. A great tradition that has produced some awesome memories in a short time. From there a quick stop to my buddy's bar, O'Neal's, host of several Rutgers bowl game watch parties. My longest tradition going back to The Turkey Bowl touch football game O'Neal's vs Dobbs.
Leave at half time of the first game and on to dinner. Than watch my Dallas Cowboys.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Are the Mummers in that one?

Those guys always give me the heebie jeebies. LOL

Last edited:
None currently but the best used to be the "Toilet Bowl" - current and former HS football players met at the field to play tackle football without pads. Mayor presented a roll of toilet paper to winner. Lasted about 15 years.

Watching the Macy's Day Parade and listening to Alice's Restaurant with our youngest son Corey.

A long dead tradition for me: Wayne Hills used to play a particular school every Thanksgiving (Fairlawn?), and my best friend from HS and I used to go to it.
Ditto Spank, with me it was Emerson vs. Union Hill, but now the two schools have merged and those day's seem so long ago for me. Current tradition;

images

I saw the thread on Alice’s Resturant and March of the Wooden soldiers and thought I’d create a favorite thanksgiving tradition post.

Happy Thanksgiving

petesbar.jpg
Now that's looking GREAT.

Are the Mummers in that one?

Those guys always give me the hebbie jebbies. LOL
Most years the maybe a string band but Mummers Parade is New Years Day. 30 years in the area, although I enjoy the string bands and nothing else, I still have no idea what a mummer is and why the think what they do is entertaining.

ADVERTISEMENT