ADVERTISEMENT

So About How Far In Advance Of The First Game Do You Become A Hyped-Up Wacko?

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
I delude myself every year into thinking I will be fine, that I'll approach the game for pure enjoyment and root for my team and not let it make/wreck my day/week. Completely delusional. I am spot on until the day of the first game of the season, and am calm until about an hour beforehand. Then I start doing things like trim a shrub that doesn't need it, move the dining room table a quarter of an inch so it's just right, then move it back, take the 1/10th-filled trash out, rake the marble pebbles that make up my driveway, then 15 minutes before kickoff I'm in front of the TV in full wackjob mode. Can't sit, can't stand, breathing escalates, pupils dilated above my eyebrows, pacing around the coffee table. Rinse, repeat until the season is over.

What's your deal?

I delude myself every year into thinking I will be fine, that I'll approach the game for pure enjoyment and root for my team and not let it make/wreck my day/week. Completely delusional. I am spot on until the day of the first game of the season, and am calm until about an hour beforehand. Then I start doing things like trim a shrub that doesn't need it, move the dining room table a quarter of an inch so it's just right, then move it back, take the 1/10th-filled trash out, rake the marble pebbles that make up my driveway, then 15 minutes before kickoff I'm in front of the TV in full wackjob mode. Can't sit, can't stand, breathing escalates, pupils dilated above my eyebrows, pacing around the coffee table. Rinse, repeat until the season is over.

What's your deal?
5 minutes before kick off I turn into a person that can not be seen in public. God forbid if Rutgers makes a big play, or on the inverse the other team makes a big play. If Rutgers gets behind by a couple of scores then I turn back into Dr. Banner and read what the doom and gloom posters write :-)

What is this normal downtime period you speak of? I may decide to look into it.

What is this normal downtime period you speak of? I may decide to look into it.
I think I like the way you think. Now we need a few details of the lunacy so we can feel better and worse about ourselves.

Normally, 1-2 weeks before the first game. This year, maybe the week leading into the Iowa game.

71402026.jpg

usually 1/2 hour before kickoff is when i get ansy because prior to that 1/2 hour i'm taking a shower and picking out which RUTGERS shirt and hat i'm gonna wear and do i wear my red sleeve? carry the RU pepsi towel in the back pocket? RU scarf?

so yea:sunglasses:

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
usually 1/2 hour before kickoff is when i get ansy because prior to that 1/2 hour i'm taking a shower and picking out which RUTGERS shirt and hat i'm gonna wear and do i wear my red sleeve? carry the RU pepsi towel in the back pocket? RU scarf?

so yea:sunglasses:
Wow, I almost overlooked the importance of wearing exactly the right stuff. I've already thought about which shirt I'm wearing, but which of my twenty Rutgers hats and whether to have an accompanying R rubber bracelet has yet to be decided. Probably a game time decision that I will obsess over starting tomorrow or Thursday.

Reactions: R1776U
My tailgate boxes have already been cleaned & packed. The Rutgers door wreath and doormat are out. Custom tent arrives today. Clear bag for inside the stadium is packed.

Last edited:
Wow, I almost overlooked the importance of wearing exactly the right stuff. I've already thought about which shirt I'm wearing, but which of my twenty Rutgers hats and whether to have an accompanying R rubber bracelet has yet to be decided. Probably a game time decision that I will obsess over starting tomorrow or Thursday.
apparel is something that should NOT be looked over.. ya gotta make sure you got a gut feeling about what shirts/hats/etc to wear.. i've even changed some things around at half time!!!

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
5 minutes before kick off I turn into a person that can not be seen in public. God forbid if Rutgers makes a big play, or on the inverse the other team makes a big play. If Rutgers gets behind by a couple of scores then I turn back into Dr. Banner and read what the doom and gloom posters write :)
My wife always says I can tell when you've given up, you either become real silent or start cracking jokes about the game. Before then, my dogs cower in the basement from all the screaming and profanity flying around.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I think you have to be a hyped up wacko to be on this forum constantly. So I say I'd have to be one year round... It never ends...

Reactions: R1776U
I also have a countdown calendar on my home and work computers as well as on my phone to the set up for the first home game. As of about 11:35am today

ten%20more%20days_zps5qkgm9jc.jpg

I also have a countdown calendar on my home and work computers as well as on my phone to the set up for the first home game. As of about 11:35am today

ten%20more%20days_zps5qkgm9jc.jpg
You didn't become the Queen Of Rutgers by sitting back and letting things happen randomly. The clock is solid leadership and needs to encouraged, duplicated, and made standard household accoutrement. Ya know, for hyped up wackos only. Why is the background purple--royalty color?

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight

What's your deal?
Ho Hum.Different Season . Another game.

You didn't become the Queen Of Rutgers by sitting back and letting things happen randomly. The clock is solid leadership and needs to encouraged, duplicated, and made standard household accoutrement. Ya know, for hyped up wackos only. Why is the background purple--royalty color?

no Scarlet option. Plus, purple is the color of Royalty and...well.... #Queen.

I used to be the "all week" guy. Beyond antsy from, typically, Tuesday afternoon until kickoff. Saturday mornings I'd listen to all my favorite fight songs from around the nation, always finishing with "The Bells...," prior to heading to a game or a bar. The 2nd half of the 2012 season began to change things then the 2012 season completely did so, unfortunately, and my emotional charge hasn't kicked in until moments before the game ever since. I'm sure most of you know the (obvious) reasons why the change, however, I hope to get that "feeling" back again soon, earlier in the week, though maybe not as early as Tuesday lol!

Last edited:
I think you have to be a hyped up wacko to be on this forum constantly. So I say I'd have to be one year round... It never ends...
totally have a point there.. in a world where political ideologies separate us into groups... one thing we all hold dear is RUTGERS FOOTBALL [cheers]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT