ADVERTISEMENT

So what are everyones impressions of the current 2023 recruiting class?

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Just wanted to see what everyones thoughts are regarding the 2023 recruiting class. A general overview is good or you can go in depth with a player, unit or team. Rivals has Rutgers 2023 class ranked at #16,

The lack of offers for some of our guys is a little concerning to me. I realize it's still very early but it'd be nice to see some more P5 interest. That #16 ranking is because we have 14 commits already. I expect that to go way down. If we get Bisontis, I take everything back. :)

It's a long time before signing day. With the NIL don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Thanks to the Transfer Portal, I don't even count my chickens after they're hatched.

If some 4-star recruit doesn't think he got enough playing time after his freshman year? He gone.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Some of the NIL deals are for more than one year. Coaches are figuring out that you don’t want to resign your whole team after every season.

Impressions?

Never again will OL be underrecruited. Schiano walked into a situation he never wants to face again. Last year, this year and the transfer portal makes it obvious. Bisontis would be the icing on the cake.

It's still a little early to judge ratings because they haven't played their senior year. TBD

I really don't worry about stars so much, but as mentioned above the lack of P5 offers with some of the prospects is concerning, it appears we are already into the second tier of the recruiting base. Last year there were a lot less late offers than this recruiting cycle.
What is also concerning is where we are against teams like PSU and MSU, for us to move forward in the big we need to win more of the recruiting battles to be competitive and move up in the league standings. we need to get a 3-4 of the top ten jersey kids every year, and this hasn't been as strong this year as it was last year.

Reactions: redking
Wonder what impact the changes in the coaching staff played in the recruiting process, obviously losing Fran Brown had an impact in SJ as well as Phila. Hopefully the new staff will connect and build relationships with their area HS coaches. Really was quite a bit of change to the staff.

Good recruiters will sell their vision for the first few years. After that you need results. We are between vision and results. It is an up hill slog after that. Greg has proven he can develop talent. Hopefully he turns the corner soon.

TBH, a bit underwhelmed (I know star ratings aren't the be-all, end-all) but happy to have all of them. If Greg & Co were willing to take them now, I'm no one to disagree. I'm sure they will prove to be better pieces to the puzzle than the previous regime's commits (whether early or late).

The problem is the players with a lot of p5 offers, don't pick RU
They did last year.

90% if the class last year had other p5 offers. The ones that didn't were late commits. Most if not all we were at least beating out schools like Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, BC, Maryland etc.

This year about half don't have any other p5 offers. Could be that it's still early and these kids haven't been to many camps. Although I'm not sure because a lot of them have a bunch of FCS, G5 offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar and RUShea
They did last year.

90% if the class last year had other p5 offers. The ones that didn't were late commits. Most if not all we were at least beating out schools like Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, BC, Maryland etc.

This year about half don't have any other p5 offers. Could be that it's still early and these kids haven't been to many camps. Although I'm not sure because a lot of them have a bunch of FCS, G5 offers.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe last year Fran Brown was on our staff.

I think it's quite probable that some of these guys will be setting foot on Rutgers' campus in the summer of 2023!

This is shaping up to be the worst GS 2.0 class. We had one 4 star player commit and we know what happened to him. A couple of these commits look like people you would sign at the end of the recruiting period as projects if there were a couple of open scholarships, not early commits.
You can’t help but wonder if this is a NIL problem.

I'll withhold judgment until the class is finalized. Last year's class was extremely strong. Loaded with OL. I like the OL in this class as well. The Florida pipeline has been re-established and we all know how important that was in RU rising during GS's first term. Have a feeling some of these commits who people are complaining about will have their rankings boosted and other schools will get involved. Then the complaints that someone jumped.

If the staff is taking them early they have ability or potential. The “experts” will now watch film on these guys and in some cases they will start to get many offers and stars will be added.

There is no way to judge 17 year old kids but reading above the usual negative people make their typical negative comments. Ask me in 6 years and I’ll let you know if this class was good or not.

If the staff is taking them early they have ability or potential. The “experts” will now watch film on these guys and in some cases they will start to get many offers and stars will be added.

There is no way to judge 17 year old kids but reading above the usual negative people make their typical negative comments. Ask me in 6 years and I’ll let you know if this class was good or not.
That might work in the MAC, but we are trying to move ahead of Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan State, not even taking into account the big three at the top.

Reactions: RUJMM78 and wheezer
That might work in the MAC, but we are trying to move ahead of Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan State, not even taking into account the big three at the top.

It's worked in the past for Rutgers. A Florida 3 star like Kaleb Johnson or a 3 star LB like Steve Longa who was under the radar until he transferred from a small HS like Saddle Brook to a Catholic late in his HS career. To early to pass final judgement before they play their senior year.

It's worked in the past for Rutgers. A Florida 3 star like Kaleb Johnson or a 3 star LB like Steve Longa who was under the radar until he transferred from a small HS like Saddle Brook to a Catholic late in his HS career. To early to pass final judgement before they play their senior year.
100% agree, you always want to reserve a few places for kids who fall under the radar that you believe you can develop, however, if you want to compete in the B1G you need to be recruiting kids that are recognized as studs as Juniors in HS.

Going for size and speed. The linemen appear to be projects which hopefully will develop. Looks like went after speed in the DBs, WRs, and LB taken so far.

The Fl. Recruits are a plus, Fl. Has 4-5 times the # of P5 recruits vs NJ in any given year. Speed is also much more available in Fl. Greg 1.0 made a living in Fl. And mostly took kids that did not get offered by the big three. The offensive linemen are difficult to gauge because a 6'6" 300+ 17 year old is a whole lot different from 21 yr old 300+ lb. man. Plus at this point we have enough OL to let the current batch of OL recruits mature for a couple of years. Having said that there are still areas where we need early contributors, LB's, DB's.

Partial list of Knights who went to and/or are in the NFL:

In Greg I trust.

- down year in Jersey we all knew this class wasn't going to be like last year's (or, likely, the next one...)
- TONS of measurables (speed included)
- kids who will help bring ST's back to elite level
- a handful of kids WHO WILL get ratings bumps and end up with more P5 offers (and then the same people bitching, now, will bitch when they leave)
- I wouldn't bet against Greg finishing this class off strong

Thought keeping Fran should've been a priority. But I was reassured on here - that Greg is the master recruiter. So should be no concerns. But before knowing we would get Fran on staff, this is what I expected Greg classes to look like

Last edited:
Legit size on the OL & DL. Maybe lesser star rankings, etc. but I trust our coaches to develop guys. Can’t teach size and can’t match up consistently in the B1G without it.
I want to see the development in the QB room. The question always remain how much and what level of development Can they be develop into starters, all conference or all Americans. That will determine how far we progress.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Thought keeping Fran should've been a priority. But I was reassured on here - that Greg is the master recruiter. So should be no concerns. But before knowing we would get Fran on staff, this is what I expected Greg classes to look like
We did everything we could to keep Fran. Not Greg's fault that THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPTION stole him away from us. Com'on now.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
looks like the under the radar type that Greg excels at making the most out of their talent and turning into the type of player the pros take interest in

looks like the under the radar type that Greg excels at making the most out of their talent and turning into the type of player the pros take interest in

I know ZERO about these kids. but I was wondering the same thing.... Schiano has a long, established history of developing under the radar kids. I am gonna trust that Greg and staff know what they are doing, that Greg hasnt lost his eye for talent, and will develop these kids to their potential

ADVERTISEMENT