ADVERTISEMENT

So what does Jayden Jones do now?

Rutgers courses can be tough, more so if you are not inclined to work

I am sure the program tries to find a easier, but still useful pathway regarding courses
Even with that, some just don’t want the hassle
Jones could have taken the easiest classes at Rutgers for another year if he's not trying to graduate anyway and tried to play one more season. There are plenty of easy classes and as an athlete they can get additional help. He probably could have found someone to do his work for him if he really wanted to. There are obviously ways to take 12 credits of cake classes for a year and mainly focus on bball

I understand Olajuwon is more athletic, but that doesn't mean his game is better adapted for today's game. Olajuwon could never stretch the defense like Ewing, which is common for today's centers. Defensively, both would have been fine.
Ewing was very athlete and explosive coming out of college. Post knee injuries Ewing was a different player.

Ewing had great touch and outside shot. If he was playing today, he would have worked on the 3 and be able to shoot it. It was unacceptable for a big center to shoot 3's back then

His dad seems a bit delusional, wonder if he was part of push.

College Basketball Fans: The NBA is terrible. Nobody plays defense anymore. It's a layup line or 3pt shooting.
Also College Basketball Fans: Why doesn't the NBA want these big lumbering slow Centers? How come all the old Centers who could barely move have no place in the NBA today?

It's because of Defense, Defense, Defense.
NBA coaches and teams are smart.
If you put Kofi or Luka Garza on the court in the NBA, the first thing a team will do is going to hunt them into pick and rolls to force a switch.
Kofi is now guarding a smaller, faster player 30ft from the rim.
Play drop coverage and the offense shoots an open 3.
Try to guard him and the offense just blows past him to the rim.
They are unplayable in high-leverage situations.

It's the same reason RHJ didn't get drafted.
At 6'5 240lbs, he is going to have to guard bigger and faster players out on the wing.
Is he going to be able to stay in front of them? That's the question.
If I give you defense I can’t get over the amount of 3 point attempts. Good for the people that enjoy that or can tolerate it. Having 40% of attempts from 25 feet away isn’t basketball. Yes, I realize college basketball is getting there too.

If I give you defense I can’t get over the amount of 3 point attempts. Good for the people that enjoy that or can tolerate it. Having 40% of attempts from 25 feet away isn’t basketball. Yes, I realize college basketball is getting there too.
Same. Tried to watch some NBA finals and it was brutal to watch. Just taking turns chucking 3's. Each team shot close to 50 3's.

It is a shame because the players are ridiculously skilled. I would totally get back in to the NBA if they made adjustments. Unfortunately I don't see any plausible solutions. In addition, I am not sure if the average NBA fan minds seeing every other shot a 3 pointer.

I understand Olajuwon is more athletic, but that doesn't mean his game is better adapted for today's game. Olajuwon could never stretch the defense like Ewing, which is common for today's centers. Defensively, both would have been fine.
Lots of focus on the defensive end for both but who is todays game could guard either. They would both score 30+ per game and foul out the other teams stetch fives.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Lots of focus on the defensive end for both but who is todays game could guard either. They would both score 30+ per game and foul out the other teams stetch fives.
I think the Dream would be a very nice NBA player in 2022. His athleticism is still mentioned when NBA 5s do something highlight worthy.

As for who could defend them in the NBA, I would put Embiid, Gobert, and Allen on either of them and expect them to have good success in limiting their scoring, especially if they played back to the basket offense.

It is a shame because the players are ridiculously skilled. I would totally get back in to the NBA if they made adjustments. Unfortunately I don't see any plausible solutions.
The solution to reduce 3 point scoring is relatively easy. Make the basket 17" diameter. Inside play will not be affected very much but 3 point percentage will fall.

Its a pretty drastic move but there are lots of differences between high school/college and the NBA in terms of rules.

Reactions: Scangg
Other solutions......(some i don't like)
1. limit attempts (maybe for the 1st 42 minutes of the game)
2. extend the line and/or eliminate corner 3

I'm really shocked this is even a discussion. Dozens of kids make a calculated risk, even after having some success at the HS level to skip college basketball altogether and they land on a G-League Elite team, which is a potential path to the NBA. There were 2 kids drafted in the 1st round that went this route, instead of playing CBB.

Just because that route isn't of any interest for us as CBB or RU fans, doesn't mean Jones won't eventually make it.....we only know about Jones because he was someone who held a solid ranking and decided on college for at least a year and made the choice to do something else.

There wasn't ever a chance of being drafted and that's not why he decided to leave RU. Some kids just want to focus on their primary goal. This premise that the player was suddenly going to buy-in to the entire college experience AND become a rock star basketball player, is not for everyone.

I'll be interested to see what his path looks like as a youngster becoming a full fledged basketball pro somewhere. But this whole thing that a light switch was going to turn on and become an All B1G caliber player on both ends of the court in the next few months or even 2 years, is a guess.

My own "guess", is there is a pattern of change that is easily tracked from his HS and AAU program changes, that indicates he is not someone who sticks through some obstacles or challenges, through the other side. It is a pattern of this school, that program, change here/there, that is what Jones career path looks like. Leaving RU isn't any different from that pattern, which has nothing to do with RU.....it has everything to do with the pattern of action with the player.

Smaller rim idea is interesting. Its easier than widening the court to move the 3 point line back. I've also heard raise the rim to make 3's and dunks harder but that is a more drastic change.

Basically today's athletes are too skilled big and athletic that the game has gotten too easy. Especially when you let them travel and carry the ball at will

#TeamSmallerRim

I'm not understanding.
Not everyone wants to go to and stay in college.
There is a reason hundreds of players declare for the draft every year knowing there are only 60 (usually) picks.

Jones knew going into the draft process he was unlikely to be drafted.
Nobody gave him bad advice.
I doubt anyone in his camp or any NBA team was saying "your a guaranteed 2nd round pick" when literally no public media said that.

Did RHJ receive bad advice because he wasn't drafted either? He knew going in it was unlikely.
He could have returned just the same.

It's not a knock on Jones or HC Pike (wow I accidentally wrote HC Rice - first time I've done that).
I respectfully disagree with your thought process.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
How about Hakeem Olajuwon or Patrick Ewing? Patrick would have needed to extend his range 5-10 feet nd retire when his knees really got bad. I'd think Hakeem would have adapted.

Kevin McHale wouldn't be in the HOF (I think he is now)
Olajuwon would have destroyed today'sNBA small ball lineups. None of today's centers or stretch 4s could have stopped him from scoring at will. His "dream shake" jumper would have been impossible to defend. And he was more than athletic enough to guard people on the perimeter. McHale did things in the low post that today's forwards and centers couldn't even pronounce, let alone defend. His array of low post moves was amazing. He was not a good passer, though.

Smaller rim idea is interesting. Its easier than widening the court to move the 3 point line back. I've also heard raise the rim to make 3's and dunks harder but that is a more drastic change.

Basically today's athletes are too skilled big and athletic that the game has gotten too easy. Especially when you let them travel and carry the ball at will

#TeamSmallerRim
Moving screens need to be stopped

I generally feel bad for the "kid"
At such young age, he received some really really bad advices from "ADULTS" that could possibly affect rest of his life...
They chose, money over this young kid's life...
Since you obviously have the inside story, please elaborate for all of us what happened.

BTW if he doesn't sign a contract to play anywhere there is no money so already holes in your statement.

At the very least he fact that he hasn't been picked up yet is pretty telling. There wasn't some long list of teams that was enamored with him and thought he was misused at Rutgers.

Imagine Mark Eaton switching onto a wing on the perimeter from a pick and roll in today's NBA?

Koncak made a LOT of money during that time in the NBA.
#5 pick overall - back when drafting a big white guy seemed like a top priority for most NBA teams
Disagree. Lots on that list had very productive careers including: Tisdale (12 seasons); Mullin (Dream Team; All Star); Schrempf (put Mavs on the map); Oakley (part of strong Knick teams of late 80s / early 90s), Dumars (Pistons); Porter, Vincent. Like every draft, some flops too, but pretty decent talent overall in first round. Also, in the third round, some guy named John Battle made a decent name for himself in Atlanta. One final note: Mr. Irrelevant (last player selected) - Chris Remley; not sure if he is a teacher in the Rahway School District.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
On that list of top undrafted, how is Trevion Williams not on that list?? He did get a 2-way, but all those guys on the three lists posted in this thread and he's not on it? So many "experts" with their lists. Trevion would be on my list.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
On that list of top undrafted, how is Trevion Williams not on that list?? He did get a 2-way, but all those guys on the three lists posted in this thread and he's not on it? So many "experts" with their lists. Trevion would be on my list.
Can absolutely see him having a PJ Tucker type career.

They (the Celtics) didn't sign him to a two way. They only offered him a Summer League roster spot, which is not nearly as good a deal.

If I were a college 5 like a Kofi or Edey I'd slow my 4 years down and try to milk as much money out as possible. There is nothing left after eligibility is used up
Slow down? Money ( NIL) just became a thing in college. Also, the potential earns from the pro ranks far outweigh anything the NIL can provide. It's still the end game for every college athlete.

I'm not understanding.
Not everyone wants to go to and stay in college.
There is a reason hundreds of players declare for the draft every year knowing there are only 60 (usually) picks.

Jones knew going into the draft process he was unlikely to be drafted.
Nobody gave him bad advice.
I doubt anyone in his camp or any NBA team was saying "your a guaranteed 2nd round pick" when literally no public media said that.

Did RHJ receive bad advice because he wasn't drafted either? He knew going in it was unlikely.
He could have returned just the same.

It's not a knock on Jones or HC Pike (wow I accidentally wrote HC Rice - first time I've done that).

That is a terrible comparison. Harper has a resume that will land him a two way deal and potentially a high figure euro deal. Jones has nothing. If corey sanders struggled to land a pro deal what the heck is Jones going to get lol.

Slow down? Money ( NIL) just became a thing in college. Also, the potential earns from the pro ranks far outweigh anything the NIL can provide. It's still the end game for every college athlete.
Edey and Kofi wont make NBA money. Prototye 5s are a college asset and not a NBA.

Moving screens need to be stopped
This times a million. It seems like every year there’s a new rule that refs let players get away with. It’s traveling, then it’s moving screens, then it’s “charges” when the defender undercuts the offensive player, then that stupid 4-5 step step back shuffle that Harden does. It’s annoying

I guess what I can’t wrap my head around is it true that he is really not allowed to play college ball again?
I’m not like living and dying over here on the thought that he’ll play for us again, nor do I want to see him with a jersey that starts with the letter “I” on his chest…but and I’m roughly aware of “the rules”…once you are pro you can’t come back to play in NCAA.
But seriously I find it hard to believe that there are freaking loopholes in the tax code and side doors for “Full House Royalty” to get schollies for sports they don’t play, but there is now way for a kid who tried to play a sport professionally to come back to college and say “I made a mistake”?
There is a lot of people here saying he has no interest in college and that may be true and fine, but I’m just saying is it really true that there is ZERO WAY BACK? Just seems weird. Like what damage did he really do in trying to go to the league?

The solution to the problem (that the NBA will never adopt because they don't view it as a problem) is to remove the 3-point line. Problem fixed overnight.

I guess what I can’t wrap my head around is it true that he is really not allowed to play college ball again?
I’m not like living and dying over here on the thought that he’ll play for us again, nor do I want to see him with a jersey that starts with the letter “I” on his chest…but and I’m roughly aware of “the rules”…once you are pro you can’t come back to play in NCAA.
But seriously I find it hard to believe that there are freaking loopholes in the tax code and side doors for “Full House Royalty” to get schollies for sports they don’t play, but there is now way for a kid who tried to play a sport professionally to come back to college and say “I made a mistake”?
There is a lot of people here saying he has no interest in college and that may be true and fine, but I’m just saying is it really true that there is ZERO WAY BACK? Just seems weird. Like what damage did he really do in trying to go to the league?
Why would it matter, he doesn't want to play college ball. If he did, he wouldn’t have signed an agent.

Why would it matter, he doesn't want to play college ball. If he did, he wouldn’t have signed an agent.
Quite a lot of chatter here that he might not have any good prospects of playing overseas….I don’t know if that’s true, but let’s say it is, and let’s say he was misguided (which is the more obvious assumption)…19 year olds do have the capacity to turn into 20 year olds who change their minds.

If that were the case for this kid, NCAA still holds firm “NO SOUP FOR YOU!” no matter what? I just find it weird that there isn’t a probationary sort of way back in.
Not saying he needs it or wants it even.
Just can’t believe there is absolutely no way there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT