ADVERTISEMENT

So what does Jayden Jones do now?

My theory which is admittedly supported by no evidence is that Jaden simply doesn't like basketball very much. He happens to be good at it and has been steered further and further down the path but it's not what he wants to be doing. If I'm right then I feel really bad for him.

Quite a lot of chatter here that he might not have any good prospects of playing overseas….I don’t know if that’s true, but let’s say it is, and let’s say he was misguided (which is the more obvious assumption)…19 year olds do have the capacity to turn into 20 year olds who change their minds.

If that were the case for this kid, NCAA still holds firm “NO SOUP FOR YOU!” no matter what? I just find it weird that there isn’t a probationary sort of way back in.
Not saying he needs it or wants it even.
Just can’t believe there is absolutely no way there.
The rules are the same for everyone.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
College Basketball Fans: The NBA is terrible. Nobody plays defense anymore. It's a layup line or 3pt shooting.
Also College Basketball Fans: Why doesn't the NBA want these big lumbering slow Centers? How come all the old Centers who could barely move have no place in the NBA today?

It's because of Defense, Defense, Defense.
NBA coaches and teams are smart.
If you put Kofi or Luka Garza on the court in the NBA, the first thing a team will do is going to hunt them into pick and rolls to force a switch.
Kofi is now guarding a smaller, faster player 30ft from the rim.
Play drop coverage and the offense shoots an open 3.
Try to guard him and the offense just blows past him to the rim.
They are unplayable in high-leverage situations.

It's the same reason RHJ didn't get drafted.
At 6'5 240lbs, he is going to have to guard bigger and faster players out on the wing.
Is he going to be able to stay in front of them? That's the question.
The criticisms of the NBA by college basketball fans are from people who clearly don't watch or understand the NBA. Like the people who say that Steph Curry only shoots threes and all Michael Jordan did was dunk.

It is a shame because the players are ridiculously skilled. I would totally get back in to the NBA if they made adjustments. Unfortunately I don't see any plausible solutions. In addition, I am not sure if the average NBA fan minds seeing every other shot a 3 pointer.
The lack of player development of centers at the college and high school level has led to a shortage of big men who are efficient 2 point shooters. There aren't any Kareems, Shaqs, or Olajuwons around who can punish small ball lineups on offense and change the math.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Edey and Kofi wont make NBA money. Prototye 5s are a college asset and not a NBA.
You are looking at this from a fan perspective. Any athlete playing a major sport in college doesn't have his heart set on playing collegiate ball for as long as possible. Guys at this level believe in their abilities and think they have what it takes to get to the next level. If you poll these athletes, less than 5% likely think in line with you.

Now, making it is a different story. FYI: players like Edey and Kofi can still make more money overseas than anything the NIL can pay.

Can
You are looking at this from a fan perspective. Any athlete playing a major sport in college doesn't have his heart set on playing collegiate ball for as long as possible. Guys at this level believe in their abilities and think they have what it takes to get to the next level. If you poll these athletes, less than 5% likely think in line with you.

Now, making it is a different story. FYI: players like Edey and Kofi can still make more money overseas than anything the NIL can pay.
Can they though? Wasn't Kofi supposed to be getting a million or something like that

I just find it weird that there isn’t a probationary sort of way back in.
There is - he just waited too long. Geo did this - declared for the 2021 draft, figured out he wouldn't get drafted, and came back to RU.

How would they make a rule for players to decide after the draft? If you get drafted you must sign but if you don't you have options? What if you got drafted by not as high as you wanted?

The lack of player development of centers at the college and high school level has led to a shortage of big men who are efficient 2 point shooters. There aren't any Kareems, Shaqs, or Olajuwons around who can punish small ball lineups on offense and change the math.
Having coached youth hoops for a long time now, I'd say this starts at the youth level. Coaches want to win and at the young level, the smaller, more coordinated, confident and aggressive kids are much more efficient at putting the ball in the hoop, youth coaches work with them and not so much with big guys - incredibly shortsighted

A bit of a tangent for this thread but I love this old video from Stan Van Gundy on youth sports -

Can

Can they though? Wasn't Kofi supposed to be getting a million or something like that
A Fan can, but I'm talking about the player's POV. Most players understand the NIL is great, but it's not the same as being a professional and earning real money.

Kofi reminds me of Alonzo Morning but much bigger.
Yet he wasn't even drafted this year...

A Fan can, but I'm talking about the player's POV. Most players understand the NIL is great, but it's not the same as being a professional and earning real money.
Huh? A fan can what?

I'm saying Kofi was offered a million in NIL to return.... is he making that as a pro?

Reactions: Groz
Kofi was dominant around the rim would he be when matched up with nba sized players? I guess the answer is no, considering he went to nba workouts. He really had no jump shot and couldn’t hit FTs. I’m not telling you I’m not surprised? I thought he would be drafted. I think he will make a good living overseas.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Huh? A fan can what?

I'm saying Kofi was offered a million in NIL to return.... is he making that as a pro?
The original point about "Can" refers to a fan's perspective of what's best for the players. Many times on this board and other rivals' boards, I read fans saying a player is better off coming back if not drafted or receives more money through a NIL deal. The average player is thinking beyond college sports and not about fans' feelings.

The average player, who enters college for a major sport, has visions of playing professionally. It may change for each player based on experience and realistic expectations over time. As for Kofi being offered millions in NIL to return, I'm not aware of that. I thought the QB from Alabama receives the most money offered by a NIL deal.

Kofi could make millions overseas because his skill set is appreciated outside the NBA.

Seem
Quite a lot of chatter here that he might not have any good prospects of playing overseas….I don’t know if that’s true, but let’s say it is, and let’s say he was misguided (which is the more obvious assumption)…19 year olds do have the capacity to turn into 20 year olds who change their minds.

If that were the case for this kid, NCAA still holds firm “NO SOUP FOR YOU!” no matter what? I just find it weird that there isn’t a probationary sort of way back in.
Not saying he needs it or wants it even.
Just can’t believe there is absolutely no way there.
so next employer the nightly line up might look like

G -Grill
F -Fries
C-Cash Register

The original point about "Can" refers to a fan's perspective of what's best for the players. Many times on this board and other rivals' boards, I read fans saying a player is better off coming back if not drafted or receives more money through a NIL deal. The average player is thinking beyond college sports and not about fans' feelings.

The average player, who enters college for a major sport, has visions of playing professionally. It may change for each player based on experience and realistic expectations over time. As for Kofi being offered millions in NIL to return, I'm not aware of that. I thought the QB from Alabama receives the most money offered by a NIL deal.

Kofi could make millions overseas because his skill set is appreciated outside the NBA.
Really? Overseas values old school post only big men with no perimeter skills? That's the opposite of everything I have ever heard about basketball overseas

Really? Overseas values old school post only big men with no perimeter skills? That's the opposite of everything I have ever heard about basketball overseas
No, Overseas value Americans the way the NBA value overseas players here. American players are usually among the highest-paid players on the team. There is a love affair for players who are not native.

No, Overseas value Americans the way the NBA value overseas players here. American players are usually among the highest-paid players on the team. There is a love affair for players who are not native.
That's a different topic. You said overseas values his skillset... which seems like the opposite of the skill set they actually value

Unlike John Blutarsky, most kids do not want to stay in college more than 4 years.

There is - he just waited too long. Geo did this - declared for the 2021 draft, figured out he wouldn't get drafted, and came back to RU.

How would they make a rule for players to decide after the draft? If you get drafted you must sign but if you don't you have options? What if you got drafted by not as high as you wanted?
Fair point about the waiting too long. I wasn’t trying to suggest a solution actually, personally I don’t want to see kids who don’t really want to be there take spots from kids who do, and hold teams/coaches hostage in the process.

For me it was more of a point of disbelief, that there are so many things in life that seem like there is now way, or the rules say no, yet there always seem to be a few folks that have the green light anyway. Hell aren’t there kids that played for 6 years in college, how does that happen?
I was asking if anyone knew what that secret handshake and pathway was.

Maybe his thought process was something like “I don’t like college, I like basketball, and I’d rather concentrate on that.

Reactions: ouchmyknee
They value Americans who've played in the NBA. They don't value American college big men with no shooting range who can't pass or shoot free throws. Those are the skills European teams value.

NIL will pay guys like Edey and Kofi 7 figures in a year or 2

Fair point about the waiting too long. I wasn’t trying to suggest a solution actually, personally I don’t want to see kids who don’t really want to be there take spots from kids who do, and hold teams/coaches hostage in the process.

For me it was more of a point of disbelief, that there are so many things in life that seem like there is now way, or the rules say no, yet there always seem to be a few folks that have the green light anyway. Hell aren’t there kids that played for 6 years in college, how does that happen?
I was asking if anyone knew what that secret handshake and pathway was.
The secret handshake is withdrawing your name from the draft by June 1st and not signing with an agent. JJ did neither which signals he didn’t want to be in college.

College Basketball Fans: The NBA is terrible. Nobody plays defense anymore. It's a layup line or 3pt shooting.
Also College Basketball Fans: Why doesn't the NBA want these big lumbering slow Centers? How come all the old Centers who could barely move have no place in the NBA today?

It's because of Defense, Defense, Defense.
NBA coaches and teams are smart.
If you put Kofi or Luka Garza on the court in the NBA, the first thing a team will do is going to hunt them into pick and rolls to force a switch.
Kofi is now guarding a smaller, faster player 30ft from the rim.
Play drop coverage and the offense shoots an open 3.
Try to guard him and the offense just blows past him to the rim.
They are unplayable in high-leverage situations.

It's the same reason RHJ didn't get drafted.
At 6'5 240lbs, he is going to have to guard bigger and faster players out on the wing.
Is he going to be able to stay in front of them? That's the question.
You are trying to make a case that the NBA is terrible because they don't play defense and then spend 90% of your post talking about why talented college players can't make the league because of their defense.

Pick a side

• Haha
LOL.. I know he’s exaggerating but regardless…it’s not malpractice. He’s a big boy, and hopefully he has family to advise him too. Millions of high school kids aren’t cut out for college, and they make decisions based on that. Some go to trade schools, some go into the service, some work their way up from what others would consider menial jobs, and others flounder…it’s life. Everyone is too quick to blame others…the bottom line is you are accountable for your own life.

You are trying to make a case that the NBA is terrible because they don't play defense and then spend 90% of your post talking about why talented college players can't make the league because of their defense.

Pick a side

Read the post again.

The first two paragraphs are making fun of college basketball fans' vocal ignorance about the NBA.

The "case" being made is that defense is much more important in the NBA than college fans tend to realize, and that's why many successful college bigs don't get drafted.

It's impossible to understand the thought process of kids like this - probably started getting told he was going to play in the NBA when he was 12 and tons of people around him kept telling him that. Hopefully, Coach Pikiell and his crew didn't but I'm sure many other people in his life did (including other coaches) and few stressed the importance of education and a plan B. That's the way the world is for every kid who plays in the NBA, many thousands were certain they were going to and never do.

Bc you didn’t admit your were wrong and tried to move the goalposts instead
I didn't move the goalpost. We agreed to disagree. Why does every debate have to have a winner and a loser? I thought you were one of the more level-headed posters on the site. So we disagree, but it didn't have to be an eye for an eye.

I'm really shocked this is even a discussion. Dozens of kids make a calculated risk, even after having some success at the HS level to skip college basketball altogether and they land on a G-League Elite team, which is a potential path to the NBA. There were 2 kids drafted in the 1st round that went this route, instead of playing CBB.

Just because that route isn't of any interest for us as CBB or RU fans, doesn't mean Jones won't eventually make it.....we only know about Jones because he was someone who held a solid ranking and decided on college for at least a year and made the choice to do something else.

There wasn't ever a chance of being drafted and that's not why he decided to leave RU. Some kids just want to focus on their primary goal. This premise that the player was suddenly going to buy-in to the entire college experience AND become a rock star basketball player, is not for everyone.

I'll be interested to see what his path looks like as a youngster becoming a full fledged basketball pro somewhere. But this whole thing that a light switch was going to turn on and become an All B1G caliber player on both ends of the court in the next few months or even 2 years, is a guess.

My own "guess", is there is a pattern of change that is easily tracked from his HS and AAU program changes, that indicates he is not someone who sticks through some obstacles or challenges, through the other side. It is a pattern of this school, that program, change here/there, that is what Jones career path looks like. Leaving RU isn't any different from that pattern, which has nothing to do with RU.....it has everything to do with the pattern of action with the player.
So Walmart it is

Reactions: MiloTalon13 and SBP
I didn't move the goalpost. We agreed to disagree. Why does every debate have to have a winner and a loser? I thought you were one of the more level-headed posters on the site. So we disagree, but it didn't have to be an eye for an eye.
Wait... so you still think overseas values big men with Kofi's skill set? Big men with only a low post offensive game. No perimeter skills. No outside shot. Not good FT shooter.

I honestly assumed you realized that was a bad take and wasn't the case and that's why you then said they like Americans... i.e. moving the goal posts

But yea... if you actually believe that is what they value, then yes... agree to disagree. Very odd take though considering what skill sets you tend to see from European big men.

What is the reasoning behind what you're saying though? I gave mine and all you said was they like Americans which isn't a skill set. Legit curious what about Kofi's skill set the overseas game values

ADVERTISEMENT