ADVERTISEMENT

So you guys wanted to see him:Nigel Johnson highlights

seels2662

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2005
Its been a debate here for months now that even though many insiders of RU basketball including writers of NJ.com or APP have been saying that Nigel Johnson is just as talented a guard as Sanders noone has really seen him so how can we call this one of the best backcourts in the B1G.

Not that this proves it but below is a collection of Nigel Johnson Highlights from ESPN. ESPN only gives you 10 second clips so there are a bunch, sorry I don't know how to mash them into one long video. But at least you can get a feel of him and his game.

Against Texas Tech:

Against #22 Baylor:

Against #25 Texas:

Reactions: Scangg and MadRU
I'm cautiously optimistic for this year. Our starting 5 is pretty legit outside of a 5 man. Sanders, johnson, laurent and freeman is a very good 1-4. We really need one of our 5 men to step up whether it be Diallo or Dorson

I'm cautiously optimistic for this year. Our starting 5 is pretty legit outside of a 5 man. Sanders, johnson, laurent and freeman is a very good 1-4. We really need one of our 5 men to step up whether it be Diallo or Dorson
I agree with this. Also note that outside of Purdue and maybe 2 or three other teams in the B1G noone else has legit centers as well.

Reactions: Scangg
I agree with this. Also note that outside of Purdue and maybe 2 or three other teams in the B1G noone else has legit centers as well.

Yes, but more to the point, we need a legitimate rebounder/dirty work kind of player.

Make no mistake, the potential is there. What the team decides to do with it is their call.

I have seen a couple Rutgers team with decent players, but not selfless players.

There are a variety of line ups Pikiell can look to use.

Something like Sanders, Johnson, Mike Williams,Sa, and Freeman.

Or Sanders, Johnson, Laurent, Sa, Freeman.

We could go on for six or more lineups.

Yes, but more to the point, we need a legitimate rebounder/dirty work kind of player.

I think Sa, Bullock, and Omoruyi can do that. Bullock and Omoruyi are known for that.

Omoruyi has a motor down low where he wants the ball more than anyone. For that reason, he will be successful.

Many people didn't really get to see Freeman much last year. I watched a bunch of his JUCO games when I knew there was a good chance we land him. There is a reason why he was a 4 star despite only being 6'7". He is great at boxing people out and doing the dirty work around the rim. And I mean great. He was having 25 point 18 rebound games in JUCO.

Many people didn't really get to see Freeman much last year. I watched a bunch of his JUCO games when I knew there was a good chance we land him. There is a reason why he was a 4 star despite only being 6'7". He is great at boxing people out and doing the dirty work around the rim. And I mean great. He was having 25 point 18 rebound games in JUCO.
Freeman is a stud, unreal athleticism. He's realistically only 6'5-6'6 though. His finishing ability around the rim and his rebounding is incredible.

Reactions: seels2662
We have 3 guards that look the part in sanders, Johnson and Williams (Williams is a perfect third guard)

We have three to four forwards that look the part (Laurent Freeman backed up by Sa and thiam)

What we get out of the center spot (Diallo doorson and some Sa) is the question...if we can get 10 and 10 out of the five spot by whoever mans it we will surprise

I think he'll do great OOC against mid and low majors, but if you noticed in the couple games against bigger teams he struggled down low. Not saying that he isn't a good player but that he'll just need a little help from somebody with some rebounding instinct and ability to finish around the rim. One of the newcomers may be the solution...we'll see

We have 3 guards that look the part in sanders, Johnson and Williams (Williams is a perfect third guard)

We have three to four forwards that look the part (Laurent Freeman backed up by Sa and thiam)

What we get out of the center spot (Diallo doorson and some Sa) is the question...if we can get 10 and 10 out of the five spot by whoever mans it we will surprise

I wonder what the health of those guys is around this point in time.

With the added depth this year the way for some of these guys to earn minutes is to do the little things, the dirty work.

I think he'll do great OOC against mid and low majors, but if you noticed in the couple games against bigger teams he struggled down low. Not saying that he isn't a good player but that he'll just need a little help from somebody with some rebounding instinct and ability to finish around the rim. One of the newcomers may be the solution...we'll see
I have the same concern about Freeman. Seemed like he dominated lesser competition but may not be as effective against the B1G.

Higgins

That matters

I can see a scanairo that if thiam, bullock and/or the new SF are ready to play minutes behind Laurent and Freeman we go a little smaller at the forward and move Sa to the center spot for 20 plus minutes a game.

We will see

Reactions: higgins3
In Nigel Johnson's soph year at Kansas St., he averaged 5.2 points per game (51 of 128 39.8%). Shot 20 of 59 (33.9%) from 3-point. 1.7 assists, 1.6 rebounds. Free Throw 43 of 64 (67.2%). Played 17.9 minutes per game.
Those are good -not great stats. But you have to remember he was not happy with his role. I like his shot. I'd like it better if he shot 38 -40% from 3.
This is Sander's team. He scored 16 ppg last year and will put up 20 this year. He was the top freshman B1G scorer last year. He is head and shoulders above anyone else in scarlet. We need a big contribution out of Johnson. We don't need him to drive the team bus.

Last edited:
As a team we would be better off if Sanders scored about the same but upped his assists. As point his job is to get everyone else involved and make them better.

I doubt that Corey wll get 20ppg. I think we will have more guys who can score and more depth so guys might not get as many minutes.

There are some people who have have seen them go head to head and several have said that Johnson is better. He looks faster on film. Either way we will have a good, fast and athletic backcourt.

We have all seen Rutgers have some players that were decent. Sometimes three of them. I do not think it was always about the talent as it was the team sharing the ball.

To be successful, they must play selfless basketball. No sticky hands.More assist. No one is happy when someone is not distributing the ball. One because they never get the chance to have the ball, and two because the team usually loses.

ADVERTISEMENT