ADVERTISEMENT

Some football board members hearing it looks good...

It's only prudent if what is left of the revenue doesn't get much worse. That is, if what remains now is the long time supporters who won't leave even if Ash stays. The sentiment seems to be different right now.

With that said, I agree with your prediction of what happens, but think it is completely the wrong decision for Rutgers.

There's a compounding effect to being really bad that is not being captured in these discussions. Fans lost now means less fans and donations every year in the future. There's a reason we raise so much less money than our peers, and it's because we have had so many periods of awful football that drains fans & support.

Every year the revenue lost is that year plus all the lost revenue from fans who never come back. Plus the multiplier effect of not having long term fans, who are the ones who give the most money.

I do watch the games. And the kick was not blocked. Korsak punted it around the rusher. IIRC, that was the first near blocked punt all season. Stats don't lie, do they?
Stats lie all the time. For example, a team that can't stop the run will have a great passing defense statistically.

Watch that play again and tell me how many UM players came after the punter and how many RU players stood around with no one to block. This happened many times in this game. Our coaches put our players in position to fail.

Reactions: RUmonster
The only way replacing Ash makes sense is if they go get a big name head coach. If they are unable or unwilling to do that, they should stay with Ash and his staff. It's better to have consistency if you aren't going to do it right.

Reactions: RW90 and ScarletNYC
There's a compounding effect to being really bad that is not being captured in these discussions. Fans lost now means less fans and donations every year in the future. There's a reason we raise so much less money than our peers, and it's because we have had so many periods of awful football that drains fans & support.

Every year the revenue lost is that year plus all the lost revenue from fans who never come back. Plus the multiplier effect of not having long term fans, who are the ones who give the most money.

This entire statement is mathematically implausible.

If Rutgers football were to become wildly successful for some period of time - say, five years in a row - season ticket sales would be double what they are now and donations would skyrocket. What you're describing is an inexorable decline, which history has shown is incorrect.

Reactions: RUBand
This entire statement is mathematically implausible.

If Rutgers football were to become wildly successful for some period of time - say, five years in a row - season ticket sales would be double what they are now and donations would skyrocket. What you're describing is an inexorable decline, which history has shown is incorrect.

The short answer is, the longer you are a fan, the sticker your money is. Once you bleed off all the long term fans you're stuck with new fans, fans who leave pretty quickly when you stink. So yes, being good will bring back fans and money. Fans and money that will go away pretty quickly when we stink again. You have to build trust in your fan base by not just letting it all go to sh!t once or twice every decade. Otherwise you find yourself where RU finds itself, in a situation with almost no long term fanbase and donations a small fraction of our peer schools.

Stats lie all the time. For example, a team that can't stop the run will have a great passing defense statistically.

Watch that play again and tell me how many UM players came after the punter and how many RU players stood around with no one to block. This happened many times in this game. Our coaches put our players in position to fail.

What about the other nine games? I do not remember too many close calls.

With Rugby kickers, they hold on to the ball longer to allow coverage to get down field.

The short answer is, the longer you are a fan, the sticker your money is. Once you bleed off all the long term fans you're stuck with new fans, fans who leave pretty quickly when you stink. So yes, being good will bring back fans and money. Fans and money that will go away pretty quickly when we stink again. You have to build trust in your fan base by not just letting it all go to sh!t once or twice every decade. Otherwise you find yourself where RU finds itself, in a situation with almost no long term fanbase and donations a small fraction of our peer schools.

The point is, that the good teams with the enormous fan bases and magnificent donor pools have those things because they're always good.

Unfortunately, those small donations are why we are in the predicament we are in.

If someone air dropped $20MM into the program and ear marked it for a new staff, it would get done. Schools like USC can make moves like that for one reason- they have the funds to do it.

What you guys are advocating takes money. Money we don't have, which compounds the issues we are facing. This is especially true when you look at what Hobbs is doing with the rest of the department.

Football is king, everyone knows that. But Hobbs isn't going to sacrifice everything in order to fire Ash in year three of his contract.

Exactly, they built up capital and don't let the programs go to crap for extended periods. That comes before the donations and loyalty, not after.

No. It can come at any time. Extended periods of success forgive all prior shitiness.

What about the other nine games? I do not remember too many close calls.

With Rugby kickers, they hold on to the ball longer to allow coverage to get down field.
because most teams don't try to block kicks. Mich didn't have punt block on either. One guy rushed and the other 10 were setting up the return. The one guy got there.

Firing Ash in year 3, as pathetic as it is, isn't going to help lure another top coach. That's win now mentality, with a roster that is AAC type of talented.

It's a tough sell as it is, but that makes it near impossible. As much as Ash sucks, no real coach is going to want to step into that situation.
It will be a much tougher sell trying to hire a new HC after another pathetic year by Ash because the talent level will be so much worse. The talent level on this team is below pre-Ash Flood level talent, and it has been getting worse. A 4th year in a row of 1-aa level recruiting at most positions will add at least another 2 to 3 years to dig out of the hole. You can't let the talent pool drop that low

The short answer is, the longer you are a fan, the sticker your money is. Once you bleed off all the long term fans you're stuck with new fans, fans who leave pretty quickly when you stink. So yes, being good will bring back fans and money. Fans and money that will go away pretty quickly when we stink again.....Otherwise you find yourself where RU finds itself, in a situation with almost no long term fanbase and donations a small fraction of our peer schools.
Agree. Do we even have a peer school right now? not just football, but overall. I think we are all alone in our own catagory. At least Kansas has a top hoops team.

Reactions: MoobyCow
And here is the quandry...even if a donor or donors step up to pay the buyout, Barchi will still have to approve the new hire. And there is no ****ing way he would approve a top guy that would run us north of 4 mil
#reality

Sorry but everybody does not know that.

If Greg has 50% support on this board that’s probably about right imo. But even that means nothing.

What the Boosters think about hiring Greg is the real issue. Will be interested in hearing about how our well heeled boosters feel about a Greg 2.0 regime.

Dream on. Try better than 70%. This debacle has drastically reduced the NeverSchianoers on the board. Boosters? You don't think Greg Brown would be in Schiano's corner?

Reactions: BlockR
No would would bring tickets- and thus reduce financial risk- GS. No one.

All should be done to try to make it happen.

Dream on. Try better than 70%. This debacle has drastically reduced the NeverSchianoers on the board. Boosters? You don't think Greg Brown would be in Schiano's corner?

Dream on? Who cares what the vote is on this board? The high rollers w RU FB are not hi volume posters here. We all get that.

Can you characterize Greg Brown’s current thoughts on bringing Greg back? Now that will be valuable content. What you got?

[

I
Agree. Do we even have a peer school right now? not just football, but overall. I think we are all alone in our own catagory. At least Kansas has a top hoops team.

I would say we are the lowest of any Power 5 programs.....all other programs have had success at some higher level at some point...I guess perhaps Oregon State is our closet peer since they have had limited success in both major sports.

Dream on? Who cares what the vote is on this board? The high rollers w RU FB are not hi volume posters here. We all get that.

Can you characterize Greg Brown’s current thoughts on bringing Greg back? Now that will be valuable content. What you got?
Who cares what the vote is on this board? Apparently you with your BS that 50% are against Schiano. So go ahead and try to change the argument. You're just wrong. Deal with it.

Unfortunately, those small donations are why we are in the predicament we are in.

If someone air dropped $20MM into the program and ear marked it for a new staff, it would get done. Schools like USC can make moves like that for one reason- they have the funds to do it.

What you guys are advocating takes money. Money we don't have, which compounds the issues we are facing. This is especially true when you look at what Hobbs is doing with the rest of the department.

Football is king, everyone knows that. But Hobbs isn't going to sacrifice everything in order to fire Ash in year three of his contract.

Especially since he hired him. He is hoping for a "Hail Mary" next year.

[

I

I would say we are the lowest of any Power 5 programs.....all other programs have had success at some higher level at some point...I guess perhaps Oregon State is our closet peer since they have had limited success in both major sports.
Yup, but even they broke their long NCAA drought a couple of years ago and they went to the Fiesta Bowl in the early 2000s. So they check off the NCAA box and the major bowl box.

Who cares what the vote is on this board? Apparently you with your BS that 50% are against Schiano. So go ahead and try to change the argument. You're just wrong. Deal with it.

Touchy, touchy. I said that half this Board wants Schiano back and you come unglued because you think 70% here want him back?

Not everyone in this world thinks like you do. You may want to get used to that, or face more disappointment in the future.

Sometimes a team and coach parts way because of disagreements. For instance demanding that certain changes be made to the staff and the head man refusing. I could see something like that happening with Ash re: Neimann. But........is Hobbs in tune enough to demand such a thing?

Sometimes a team and coach parts way because of disagreements. For instance demanding that certain changes be made to the staff and the head man refusing. I could see something like that happening with Ash re: Neimann. But........is Hobbs in tune enough to demand such a thing?
Hobbs should have maned up,admited his mistake hire, and can Asherror over the combined credit card 8 and the latest mess with the player threatening homicide and photo blackmail...telling Asherror..see ya in court.

Ha no . The people here that really know college football did not think it was a home run hire. And any fan with an ounce of a brain knew ash was a long shot gamble at best.
This! Just because people aren't openly rebelling about the hire from the start did not mean that they liked it. I was blown away by how un-inspiring the hire was at the time. It was disapointing, but I would give the guy a chance in hopes Ash would prove my resevations about the hire as wrong. Early on it was clear that my first thoughts were right when I saw some of the hires as well as the multiple de-commits of our highest rated recruits within days of face to face meatings with Ash. That raised the biggest red flag.

The guy had no personality or track record of being a good recruiter. Recruiting is the start of all success in college football. If you aren't mentioned as one of the best recruiters in a place like Ohio State that recruits itself, you have to be pretty much a zero as a recruiter. He was not considered a bad recruiter there mainly because the Ohio State name helps recruit kids. As @Kyk pointed out early, Ash is a “Garden Nome”. If you don't have a killer personality, stature is a necessity to get kids to take you seriously. Ash has neither.

They don't when you're talking college sports. Many of those not showing up include students -- that is, your future donor base. If they don't make a habit of going to games when they live right there and have very little else to do, you lose many permanently.

In college sports, you are much less likely to have an extended period of success when you are or become the worst program in a sport.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I am not sure it would be. I am only speculating here but these new rugby sytle kickers actuallly take 4/5 steps before they kick.. At what point do they become a runner who might kick as opposed to a defenseless kicker. Normal kickers take two straight steps and kick. All in one motion. The rugby type guys run to the right (usually) and takes several steps before they start their kicking motion. I imagine this creates a problem because he could just keep going if he though he had an opening. Just a thought. Anyone know how the roughing realty applies to a player who actually runs with the ball before he kicks it?

When the punter leaves the tackle box, he is then a runner and waives punter protection. I would have to consult the specific rule, but my interpretation is that it is no longer punting formation when the runner breaks the tackle-to-tackle box.

What ever happened to that "Mr. Television" poster that had all the inside information?
maxresdefault.jpg

I was at the Subway in New Brunswick reading "RutgersAl"'s thrad of upset alert .......

heard this guy who looked like an athletic guy (so must know what he is talking about) say Ash is out and Belicheck will be hired for 100k a year since Belicheck loves RU.

His assistant coaches will be Charlie Weis and Greg Schiano.

Since I heard it at Subway it must be true :)

ADVERTISEMENT