ADVERTISEMENT

Some football board members hearing it looks good...

Sorry mildy but petitions are sent to governmental officials and public entities, not private individuals, so unfortunately I can't help you. But may I suggest an on-line civics course so you can learn more about petitions?
First, I never suggested sending any petition to any individual. Not really sure where you got that idea from.

Second, a petition can absolutely be sent to a private individual, providing that individual represents an authority of some kind. For example, employees of a privately held corporation can petition that corporation's president or CEO. Children can petition their parents. Etc.

Want a mulligan? I think you should just call me a douchebag, since that much is obviously incontrovertible. :)

Reactions: zazoo2002
First, I never suggested sending any petition to any individual. Not really sure where you got that idea from.

Umm here?
Uh-huh. So does this mean you'll set up the petition?
"Gary, Gary... Wherefore art thou, Gary?"
- graystork"

You don't remember what you posted in the same thread? Sad

Second, a petition can absolutely be sent to a private individual, providing that individual represents an authority of some kind.
So you want to petition Schiano to give himself the authority to come back to Rutgers? You're losing it my friend.

I think you should just call me a douchebag
Self-loathing now? Maybe you should get some help. I'll leave you alone until you're feeling better. I used to enjoy sparring with you. Now it's just sad.

Umm here?
Uh-huh. So does this mean you'll set up the petition?
"Gary, Gary... Wherefore art thou, Gary?"
- graystork"

You don't remember what you posted in the same thread? Sad

Second, a petition can absolutely be sent to a private individual, providing that individual represents an authority of some kind.
So you want to petition Schiano to give himself the authority to come back to Rutgers? You're losing it my friend.

I think you should just call me a douchebag
Self-loathing now? Maybe you should get some help. I'll leave you alone until you're feeling better. I used to enjoy sparring with you. Now it's just sad.
Your reading comprehension is having an off couple of days. You quoted me and nowhere in what you quoted am I suggesting you send a petition to an individual. I never once suggested petitioning Schiano.

I don't play golf, so I'm not sure, but I don't think I can offer yet another mulligan for the same shot.

Also, I am not sparring. I am teasing. Gently, because I am mild like that. :)

Your reading comprehension is having an off couple of days. You quoted me and nowhere in what you quoted am I suggesting you send a petition to an individual. I never once suggested petitioning Schiano.

I don't play golf, so I'm not sure, but I don't think I can offer yet another mulligan for the same shot.

Also, I am not sparring. I am teasing. Gently, because I am mild like that. :)

Sure you didn't. Whatever makes you feel better.
Get well soon.

You still swear that 70% of this board wants Schiano as our next HC?

Just calling out BS when I see it. You can thank me later.
Uh oh. Now you've done it! Now he's going to insist that you too have suggested he petition Schiano. [laughing]

What makes Schiano a more realistic hire than anybody else, in your mind?

That he won here, knows how to recruit here, and knows how to manage the admin and the media here.

However, like I said before, I am open to anyone with prior winning HC experience at the FBS level. In my view GS makes a lot of sense but I'm not going to be angry if Bielema or Matt Canada or the Appy State HC walks in the door.

What makes Schiano a more realistic hire than anybody else, in your mind?

Not more so, just one of many realistic possibilities.

Chances are, we are not going to get a Saban or Meyers.

Plenty of great candidates: Buffalo coach, etc.

I just feel strongly that Schiano will have a leg up on all of the rest because, he did it here once before, he knows NJ High School football and the coaches, he is very well liked (Loved?) at Rutgers and in NJ, he knows how to successfully recruit the “State of Rutgers,” and I truly believed he has learned and is a better coach today than he was when he was here previously.

That he won here, knows how to recruit here, and knows how to manage the admin and the media here.

However, like I said before, I am open to anyone with prior winning HC experience at the FBS level. In my view GS makes a lot of sense but I'm not going to be angry if Bielema or Matt Canada or the Appy State HC walks in the door.
Those are your opinions about why he would do better than Ash, or Flood. None of that explains what makes Schiano a more realistic hire than anybody else.

Let me ask it this way. What makes other coaches unrealistic hires that doesn't also apply to Schiano?

Those are your opinions about why he would do better than Ash, or Flood. None of that explains what makes Schiano a more realistic hire than anybody else.

Let me ask it this way. What makes other coaches unrealistic hires that doesn't also apply to Schiano?

Not more realistic, but chances are he can turn it around quicker.

BECAUSE, of experience.

He has direct experience with both Rutgers as well as the state of New Jersey.

Anyone else would have to learn all of that first and avoid some missteps.

Sorta won.

As for recruiting... he left NJ eight years ago and in the last 4 recruiting classes tOSU has pulled 4 players from NJ. How good are his recruiting connections, considering the natural turnover at the h.s. level?

The "admin" is different. And his ability to manage the media was always questionable.

Desperation is the demon seed of revisionist history.

the rumors are flying --I heard 5 big givers will anty up if they can hire Schiano--not sure its believable

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Not more so, just one of many realistic possibilities.

Chances are, we are not going to get a Saban or Meyers.

Plenty of great candidates: Buffalo coach, etc.

I just feel strongly that Schiano will have a leg up on all of the rest because, he did it here once before, he knows NJ High School football and the coaches, he is very well liked (Loved?) at Rutgers and in NJ, he knows how to successfully recruit the “State of Rutgers,” and I truly believed he has learned and is a better coach today than he was when he was here previously.
I'm not convinced that Schiano wants to come back here. Some long-time fans here are feeling positive about him at the moment. But this board had a very different opinion of him right before he announced he was leaving.

Human nature being what it is, he would have a very, very short leash before the fan-base turned on him here. Shorter even than Flood or Ash.

It would be just like divorced couples that get back together again, and for the same sorts of reasons. Rarely works out and usually takes less time to split the second time.

Only way I see him coming back is if he has no other options. In which case, why would we want him back? If he's so bad that no other school wants him, maybe we should take the more objective hint?

I'm holding out hope that RU takes it's time with the next coaching hire and switches things up some. Tries something very different.

I still maintain that we need an offensive guru for our next head coach.
I agree. An offensive guru with head coaching experience.

Ideally a name players will recognize as a winner (or that they can at least be shown the stats, if they don't immediately recognize the name). Because recruiting is everything and right now our recruiting needs every last bit of help it can get.

Reactions: biker7766
I'm not convinced that Schiano wants to come back here. Some long-time fans here are feeling positive about him at the moment. But this board had a very different opinion of him right before he announced he was leaving.

Human nature being what it is, he would have a very, very short leash before the fan-base turned on him here. Shorter even than Flood or Ash.

It would be just like divorced couples that get back together again, and for the same sorts of reasons. Rarely works out and usually takes less time to split the second time.

Only way I see him coming back is if he has no other options. In which case, why would we want him back? If he's so bad that no other school wants him, maybe we should take the more objective hint?

I'm holding out hope that RU takes it's time with the next coaching hire and switches things up some. Tries something very different.

You are right.

I know Greg and he definitely feels that way.

He might come back however as a way of rebuilding his image, so that more options will open up to him.

I am hoping that IF he comes back, he will decide to stay and not chase $s anymore.

Sorta won.

As for recruiting... he left NJ eight years ago and in the last 4 recruiting classes tOSU has pulled 4 players from NJ. How good are his recruiting connections, considering the natural turnover at the h.s. level?

The "admin" is different. And his ability to manage the media was always questionable.

Yeah, he went to bowl games every year from 05-11 sans one. With the OOC and schedule we had this year, seems straightfoward- not to mention I could easily see one of his teams winning yesterday.

Correct that he has been out of the game, what I am saying is that going into the Island of Misfit Toys he had an excellent class, with the B1G at his back it should be better.

I agree the admin is different. But the selling point to Barchi is simple, and to also address your media point, Schiano is the only guy who kept players out of the SL for the wrong reasons. He had the best APR in America. Barchi wants to focus on academics and by many measures RU has gotten better during his time here with that- so hand the program over to the guy that demonstrated his commitment to academics and having a clean program is not lip service.

I am not desperate, I have made peace with the fact that Ash may still be here next year and that I will be devoted to other pursuits come next fall. And, I am absolutely willing to consider another current or former HC who proved he can win at the FBS level. My thing with Schiano is I know he can win, can have a clean program, can recruit. It's more the devil you know- I'm willing to be upset by Indiana after beating the Cult knowing all the other boxes are checked. I also understand the anti-GS guys wanting to take the gamble and respect that position.

As long as Ash is canned and replaced by someone who isn't a demonstrated failure at this level (eg, Al Golden) I am on board.

Schiano to Rutgers is such a no brainer..no it doesn't guarantee success but it solves a ton of problems that Rutgers is facing right now...and he is the only hire that will immediately rectify these problems. He is not the only coach that can win here but he is the right guy for the current shit sandwich we have been served

Yeah, he went to bowl games every year from 05-11 sans one. With the OOC and schedule we had this year, seems straightfoward- not to mention I could easily see one of his teams winning yesterday.

Correct that he has been out of the game, what I am saying is that going into the Island of Misfit Toys he had an excellent class, with the B1G at his back it should be better.

I agree the admin is different. But the selling point to Barchi is simple, and to also address your media point, Schiano is the only guy who kept players out of the SL for the wrong reasons. He had the best APR in America. Barchi wants to focus on academics and by many measures RU has gotten better during his time here with that- so hand the program over to the guy that demonstrated his commitment to academics and having a clean program is not lip service.

I am not desperate, I have made peace with the fact that Ash may still be here next year and that I will be devoted to other pursuits come next fall. And, I am absolutely willing to consider another current or former HC who proved he can win at the FBS level. My thing with Schiano is I know he can win, can have a clean program, can recruit. It's more the devil you know- I'm willing to be upset by Indiana after beating the Cult knowing all the other boxes are checked. I also understand the anti-GS guys wanting to take the gamble and respect that position.

As long as Ash is canned and replaced by someone who isn't a demonstrated failure at this level (eg, Al Golden) I am on board.

In my opinion, this is probably the best post I have read in a long, long time!!!! Thank you!!

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The bowl games and the success were great.

But other P5 coaches, using negative recruiting against Schiano, will beat the players over the heads with Schiano's head-coaching record which is far less than stellar, especially his in-conference record.

If you're sitting in your family room w/the coach, and the coach says "yeah, but RU really stunk when I got there so you can't count all the losses the first 3 seasons", and a competing coach shows the player a lifetime winning percentage, or a championship trophy or two, how's that gonna play out?

RU isn't recruiting long-time RU fans. RU is recruiting 17 year old kids who never heard of Schiano or, if they have recently, probably heard negative things about him.

He might be able to turn things around. But I think it would be more challenging for Schiano than for someone equally qualified and competent who doesn't have Schiano's history working against him in recruiting.

Sorta won.

Do I want Schiano back as HC? Hell yeah, but I would rather hire you as HC instead of letting Ash stay on. So my bar is set pretty low.

Earlier this season, I was supportive of rehiring Schiano. My feeling at the time was that his strength was rebuilding a moribund program ... something that Rutgers needs at this point. The concern was that other than catching lighting in a bottle in 2006, Schiano never showed the ability to build on success and get Rutgers over the hump. With Schiano, it seemed we were destined to 7-win seasons built by beating up on cupcakes, something that won't happen in the Big Ten. His 7-win Big East seasons translate to 5-win Big Ten seasons.

After further reflection, I no longer want Schiano here. I am still concerned about his ceiling being a low ceiling. And there is a huge risk that rehiring a retread is not successful. If he is unsuccessful in rebuilding the program, and can't capture the success he had 18 years ago, then how does Rutgers find another coach willing to take a chance. And if he is successful, then is our upside 5-win seasons? That hardly seems worth the risk.

I'd rather take a chance at someone who has been a successful head coach at a G5 school, who could also be successful in rebuilding our program and has the opportunity for greater upside.

I will support Schiano if he is brought back but he is at Ohio State where they are usually bringing in all 4 & 5 star recruits and his defense has given up over 500 yards this year in at least 4 games. There is so much talent there and Maryland scored 51 points on them yesterday in a game at Ohio State. I still resent the way he left and took every assistant with him except Flood. He shafted RU big time after he got everything he wanted at RU including his house built on RU property.

Reactions: biker7766
You guys have to aim higher than Greg. You need a new face to bring new hope. Ash was supposed to be that guy. Did not work out.
Since recruiting is an issue I’d think about running the triple option on offense. You don’t need 5 star players to execute it. Just tough hungry , smart players. Jersey is loaded with those kinds of kids.
But on defense? I have no answers.

The bowl games and the success were great.

But other P5 coaches, using negative recruiting against Schiano, will beat the players over the heads with Schiano's head-coaching record which is far less than stellar, especially his in-conference record.

If you're sitting in your family room w/the coach, and the coach says "yeah, but RU really stunk when I got there so you can't count all the losses the first 3 seasons", and a competing coach shows the player a lifetime winning percentage, or a championship trophy or two, how's that gonna play out?

RU isn't recruiting long-time RU fans. RU is recruiting 17 year old kids who never heard of Schiano or, if they have recently, probably heard negative things about him.

He might be able to turn things around. But I think it would be more challenging for Schiano than for someone equally qualified and competent who doesn't have Schiano's history working against him in recruiting.

Schiano recruited players to the worst all time program with the worst all time facilities. Stop worrying whether he can recruit. You dont think any coach here wouldn't have to deal with negative recruiting. If anyone can handle negative recruiting its Schiano

As one of Schiano's harshest critics I find alot of criticism I am seeing here to be sort odd and based on worst case scenerios

Earlier this season, I was supportive of rehiring Schiano. My feeling at the time was that his strength was rebuilding a moribund program ... something that Rutgers needs at this point. The concern was that other than catching lighting in a bottle in 2006, Schiano never showed the ability to build on success and get Rutgers over the hump. With Schiano, it seemed we were destined to 7-win seasons built by beating up on cupcakes, something that won't happen in the Big Ten. His 7-win Big East seasons translate to 5-win Big Ten seasons.

After further reflection, I no longer want Schiano here. I am still concerned about his ceiling being a low ceiling. And there is a huge risk that rehiring a retread is not successful. If he is unsuccessful in rebuilding the program, and can't capture the success he had 18 years ago, then how does Rutgers find another coach willing to take a chance. And if he is successful, then is our upside 5-win seasons? That hardly seems worth the risk.

I'd rather take a chance at someone who has been a successful head coach at a G5 school, who could also be successful in rebuilding our program and has the opportunity for greater upside.
I've mentioned that no coach that I can think of has done as well as their first stint at a location. All have done worse or way worse. While Petrino/Snyder's 2nd stints weren't bad overall they weren't as good as their first and one has been fired and one is on the verge of it. Edsall/Art Shell/Gruden thus far have done way worse in their 2nd stints.

Mike Riley is about the only one you could say did better but his first stint wasn't really a stint as he was at Oregon State for just 2 years in the early stages.

Schiano was just about .500 in conference the last handful of years in the BE...take worse than that or way worse than that and where are we?

Reactions: Hondo77
ADVERTISEMENT