ADVERTISEMENT

Some great movie scenes you've enjoyed.

Quotes as parts of meaningful scenes

"It just doesn't matter!"...meatballs

"Over....over?!?"....animal house

"You can't handle the truth"....a few good men

"No Luke, I am YOUR father"....empire strikes back...

1. The opening sequence in Full Metal Jacket is perfect.
2. The final scene of Field of Dreams chokes me up literally every time I watch it.
3. The killer rabbit scene in Holy Trail is hilarious.
4. I love the diner scene in Heat.
5. The first night in Shawshank is a great mix of hilarious, sad, and uncomfortable.

Old lady with dimentia to her son from "God's Not Dead" spot on

"Where ever you are, every Marine is your brother" FMJ Graduation Speech - spot on

Last edited:
Two greatest scenes in movie history.

One of the most under rated parts of this scene is Elmer Bernstein's music.

Last edited:
Boring, Really?
Nicholson's diner scene in "Five Easy Pieces."
Final courtroom scene in "Inherit the Wind."
OK, but I think you're probably in the minority. Pretty sure it's a top 100 movie all time.

For my low brow friends (Think Penn State)

For my intellectuals (Think how you feel losing to Penn State)

Love the Pulp Fiction and Princess Bride suggestions. Also,

Deliverance - scene where the hick kid plays the banjo
Stripes - the intro meeting at the barracks; "don't call me Francis"
Dude where's my car - at the Chinese drive in, "and then..."
Trainspotting - when he dives into the toilet

I could blow up the forum inserting media clips from all the great Monty Python movie scenes. There are hundreds just Life of Brian and Holy Grail, forget about Meaning of Life.

Reactions: Block R
Space Balls - the diner scene with John Candy where he orders fish, but then a patron is carried out after becoming ill and he asks what he had. The waitress replies "the fish ". John says check please !
Smokey and the Bandit 2 - Jackie Gleason is explaining to a woman going to attend his son's wedding, again why he mumbles a little chant when anxiety starts to set in. I learned this to calm down from 2 monks form some foreign monastery who have since moved to Newark. Always works !

So many good ones here. Of the ones mentioned already, the Russian roulette scene from the Deerhunter and the Marlon Brando scene are true classics, never get old. There are other really good ones, mentioned, of course.

Of the scenes NOT mentioned, some of my favorites ... I will try to copy/embed, but may fail:

1) Jaws, the "You are going to need a bigger boat ..." is classic - and ad libbed, too.

2) The Good the Bad and the Ugly: The last quick draw scene - a 3-way quick draw between Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach and Clint Eastwood ... never before done, and never since done - or at least not as well ... and the music ... wow. Start from about the 3 minute mark of the scene.

Of course Eli Wallach had another great line in that movie, something like after he shot a guy, "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

3) 1968's Franco Zeffirelli's Rome and Juliet, several scenes:

The "First Kiss" or The Ball" scene ... with just the best EVER movie music ... yes, bar NONE, Franco Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet has the best ever music, from ANY movie, period, not even close.:

And the finale:

4) Someone already mentioned, but I try to embed the Dueling Banjo scene in Deliverance ... just amazing scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

So many more, so many great movie scenes for movie lovers. This thread could go 10 pages and still be great.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of Michigan fans/alums sitting behind me last year who were acting just like this guy in the above clip.

So I naturally had to mention an "Annie Hall" reference to my friend sitting next to me but used this one instead....

Apparently they were familar with the movie. ;)

Reactions: SHUSource
I always wondered why Rutger Hauer never reached stardom like so many other actors.
I also always wondered. He was really good in Bladerunner.

As a young actor - he started as a Dutch actor, being Dutch and all - he was in a terrific war movie called Soldiers of Orange (directed by Paul Verhoeven), set WW II. He played a Dutch soldier/underground fighter. An interesting aspect of the movie was that the plot took place in the Netherlands and in England ... when the action was in the Netherlands, Dutch was spoken, with English sub-titles, and when in England, the dialogue was in English without sub-titles. I was always intrigued by that execution.

I enjoyed Ladyhawke - though really that movie was made by Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick.

I also enjoyed Flesh and Blood - but that was a really trashy ... and I mean really trashy - movie, and I think after that movie Hauer's roles were really much lesser.

ADVERTISEMENT