ADVERTISEMENT

Some new news about the schedule

If this is true we now know 10 games & probably one in the ACC-BIG Challenge which would make 11 of the 13 probable games in the OOC.

Did we ever play Cleveland State while Gary Waters was coach there? He might have retired one year too early.

Reactions: shields
If this is true we now know 10 games & probably one in the ACC-BIG Challenge which would make 11 of the 13 probable games in the OOC.

That's my count as well...10 games at the RAC are known ....this four game tourney, Hartford, NJIT, FDU, Stony Brook, Fordham and Seton Hall....

Assuming the ACC-Big Ten challenge game is at home as it should be, there could be a road non-conference game surprise.

Unless we're going to go the Syracuse route and not leave the state in non-conference play.

Double edged sword-------RU needs wins but also needs the Arena full.

I'll be kind and call that MTE Tourney------modest.

Assuming the ACC-Big Ten challenge game is at home as it should be, there could be a road non-conference game surprise.

Unless we're going to go the Syracuse route and not leave the state in non-conference play.

Local Shill....

This strategy does not bother me ONE bit. Especially in a season that will be condensed one week shorter with the earlier B1G tourney in MSG and the likelihood (is it confirmed?) that we will have two league games in December

I believe I read we are likely not part of the ACC-B1G this year. I believe two (2) B1G teams "sit" each year and Rutgers having played in the past two challenges is a likely candidate to not participate this season.

Would like to have at least one road game non conference early on for this team to gel on the road before real conference play begins

I believe I read we are likely not part of the ACC-B1G this year. I believe two (2) B1G teams "sit" each year and Rutgers having played in the past two challenges is a likely candidate to not participate this season.
That's Gavitt Games (Big East). ACC sits one team since they have 15.

Reactions: Local Shill
What does MTE stand for?

Why can't these tournaments actually have winners and finals
Multi-team event

Old article that explains it...
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=2959948

Gone forever was the 6-year-old "two-in-four" rule that limited schools to two appearances per quadrennial in so-called "exempt" tournaments, which allowed up to four contests to count as a single regular-season game against a maximum of 28. In its place was the new concept of "multi-team events" (or MTE for short), which have much looser restrictions; schools can't play in the same multi-team event twice over a four-year period, but any school may now participate in a MTE every season if it so chooses.

Too bad every other year we can't have 8 NJ schools play with 4 schools in A and 4 schools in B with 3 games in your group and a Final game vs the other group based on performance. It would be neat to have a NJ champ every other year.

Group A
Rutgers (3H 0A)
Princeton (1H 2A)
FDU (1H 2A)
St. Peter (1H 2A)

Group B
SHU (3H 0A)
Monmouth (1H 2A)
Rider (1H 2A)
NJIT (1H 2A)

Quadruple header final day shifts every other year
2018 JC Armory (St. peters)
2020 Jadwin Gym (Princeton)
2022 Newish Arena in Trenton (Rider)
2024 Ocean 1st center (Monmouth)

Last edited:
I hope BC is our opponent at the RAC for the ACC-B1G challenge. That would generate some interest, as there is a lot of history there along with some serious bad blood between the two schools.

I hope BC is our opponent at the RAC for the ACC-B1G challenge. That would generate some interest, as there is a lot of history there along with some serious bad blood between the two schools.

Among us old guys, sure, but Mike Williams and Corey Sanders were probably in about 2nd or 3rd grade when BC was pulling its shenanigans with the ACC.

The fans would love to to see us stick it to BC, but I highly doubt the team knows, much less cares about what happened in 2002-04.

I would like to see Rutgers play Boston College because it would be a winnable game at home.

Reactions: bac2therac
Curve ball is the B1G scheduling 2 conference games in early December, so take that into consideration when looking at the OOC schedule....no word on whether each team will be one road and one home game for the December 1st through 4th two game scenario, but when you add that to SHU in mid December, it's not like it will be 10-11 straight cupcakes before SHU....

I agree we need to play Princeton every year. It is not feasible for football for obvious reasons, but basketball is a no brainer. Don't give me crap about its a no win situation win or lose. So is playing random MEAC teams. Make it happen, heck I'd even sign a petition.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Should play Princeton. Silly that we don't.

I agree we need to play Princeton every year. It is not feasible for football for obvious reasons, but basketball is a no brainer. Don't give me crap about its a no win situation win or lose. So is playing random MEAC teams. Make it happen, heck I'd even sign a petition.
Agree.

If it was up to me we'd play every NJ D1 school and maybe alternate with R-N and R-C.

Anyone who understands Princeton known that they do such unorthodox stuff that runs against to be successful that is counter to a lot of half court defensive things you try to teach for the rest of the schedule

It's like playing navy and army in football

You really have to dedicate a lot time resources for one freakin out of confrence against a low major game that is a no win public relations situation if you win and a disaster if you lose

An absolutely pass. Period

And I live 10 minutes from jadwin gym ...so I have ALL the incentive in the world to have a ru home game in my backyard every other December

2H 1A. They aren't as Princetonian as they used to be. We have that stupid 30 second shot clock and that has changed a lot.

Greenie is correct IMO-----that to me would spark fan interest and put people in the seats-----and attendance and fan interest count for a bunch.

You'll hear the spiders crawling around the rafters of the MTE Tournament as nobody is paying to watch that group.

Anyone who understands Princeton known that they do such unorthodox stuff that runs against to be successful that is counter to a lot of half court defensive things you try to teach for the rest of the schedule

You really have to dedicate a lot time resources for one freakin out of confrence against a low major game that is a no win public relations situation if you win and a disaster if you lose

And I live 10 minutes from jadwin gym ...so I have ALL the incentive in the world to have a ru home game in my backyard every other December
Spot on assessment of a topic that comes up every year regardless if its Army,Navy or Princeton.Rutgers must pick and choose what out of conference games to play as a member of a power conference and old rivalries no longer apply.

Reactions: bac2therac

You really have to dedicate a lot time resources for one freakin out of confrence against a low major game * that is a no win public relations situation if you win and a disaster if you lose

I missed the part where the Tigers started to employ the "Nasty Boyz" defense of Chuck Daly's Pistons. I doubt any of our guys are going to leave this game banged up like they could for a FB game against and Academy. If anything, it would probably be the other way around.

* no win if we win?

Spot on assessment of a topic that comes up every year regardless if its Army,Navy or Princeton.Rutgers must pick and choose what out of conference games to play as a member of a power conference and old rivalries no longer apply.
Again, I don't see the Army/Navy thing here as it's not the same IMO. For football since there are so many chess pieces involved and how both Academies schedule, I can see the point. But not here.

2H 1A. They aren't as Princetonian as they used to be. We have that stupid 30 second shot clock and that has changed a lot.
+1 except with the 2-1 idea. And I disagree with @PatrickRU92 on his idea too. Why would they do that?

Greenie is correct IMO-----that to me would spark fan interest and put people in the seats-----and attendance and fan interest count for a bunch.

You'll hear the spiders crawling around the rafters of the MTE Tournament as nobody is paying to watch that group.
Yes all of this too.

Fan interest? There hasn't been a big crowd for Rutgers v Princeton since 2002 in jadwin. Even when we had some decent teams

And the RAC hasn't filled up for playing old
Nassau in even a longer time

This is not a game that will generate local interest except with the old guard fans ...which as time goes on is fewer and fewer

Reactions: RUJMM78
Fan interest? There hasn't been a big crowd for Rutgers v Princeton since 2002 in jadwin. Even when we had some decent teams

And the RAC hasn't filled up for playing old
Nassau in even a longer time

This is not a game that will generate local interest except with the old guard fans ...which as time goes on is fewer and fewer
Agree with this somewhat...

It all depends on where we are, what time and what we give away that day. Like any other game.

Again, I say play all of NJ and since theses guys are really the closest, why not?

E5fdny

I didn't say that the Princeton game was
Physical.

It is a lot of defensive technique in the half court defense to properly defend how different the Princeton offense plays that is very counter intuitive to how you approach 90% of the rest of the schedule for defense that makes it a pain in the ass. You have to anti-teach your defense for one game and then have to find a way to immediately flush it afrewards to get back on track

It's not worth it to play a team from a low to mid major confrence Home and home just because of old times sake. It doesnt fill the stands anymore....and it takes a week away from the rhythm you try to build in your OOC schedule in December heading into confrence play

Michigan may be the 10%.

To me the bigger issue is the fact that Princeton has a good shot of beating us at home and it is sort of a lose lose situation. Same with Monmouth, maybe different this year with Robinson gone.

Reactions: RUJMM78
I get that for this year as the program is still in rebuild and everyone schedules wins in pre conference games.

But the schedule is really soft and IMO you get better playing a good club even if you lose and the object is to get better.

Rutgers isn't an NCAA team next year----not an NIT team either but it would be a good measuring stick in the pre season to play a Temple , Richmond or a GW to better figure out where you are.

Or better yet go on the road a decent Holiday tournament .

I get that for this year as the program is still in rebuild and everyone schedules wins in pre conference games.

But the schedule is really soft and IMO you get better playing a good club even if you lose and the object is to get better.

Rutgers isn't an NCAA team next year----not an NIT team either but it would be a good measuring stick in the pre season to play a Temple , Richmond or a GW to better figure out where you are.

Or better yet go on the road a decent Holiday tournament .

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that wins -- for lack of a better word -- are good.

Wins are right.

Wins work.

Reactions: gflip01 and RUJMM78
If it's your point that beating the Coppin's and the Hartford's of the world work to improving your basketball program we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT