ADVERTISEMENT

Some of the Calls Today?

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
I brought a friend, Arizona grad who likes Rutgers to an extent but unbiased. He said to me that there was one ref who was ridiculous. I couldn't believe some of the calls of balls going out of bounds on Nebraska and yet they got the ball. I couldn't believe they didn't review one single play.

Am I wrong?

I thought that when we left the Big East we would be done with bad officiating because they hated us since we were leaving the conference. But now we get no respect in the Big Ten because we joined the conference. Don't know what it will take to change that. I would say a history of winning but the women's team is one of the most successful ever in the sport with a coach who is one of the top 5 maybe top 3 most accomplished in the sport, and they get jobbed by the refs more than I've ever seen in MBB or FB.

Reactions: RC71
I believe the fouls were 18 for Nebby and 13 for RU...if anything RU had like 6 fouls the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half and didnt get many more called and there was some contact not called in the last 5 minutes. RAC fans whine about virtually every close call

I didn't think the officials were biased, but it seemed we were playing in a different league where a lot more physical play was permitted, especially in the first half.

I think there were 3 plays that the ball clearly went off a Nebraska player (twice off a leg) and each time Nebraska was awarded the ball for another shot. The first time they hit a 3 and the second time a 2. The third time they missed. This was clearly 5 points that Nebraska should not have had. I too was shocked that the refs never checked the video or had a consultation on any of the calls. At least in the end the good guys got a W.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I think there were 3 plays that the ball clearly went off a Nebraska player (twice off a leg) and each time Nebraska was awarded the ball for another shot. The first time they hit a 3 and the second time a 2. The third time they missed. This was clearly 5 points that Nebraska should not have had. I too was shocked that the refs never checked the video or had a consultation on any of the calls. At least in the end the good guys got a W.
If I'm whining this was why? These were some key possessions and the replays were shown to the crowd. I think you use the technology when your not sure and you could tell they weren't sure. Pikiell was going ballistic on the sidelines. I'm honestly wondering how much the big 10 reviews the tapes? This was one ref in particular making these calls and there were all wrong. I don't normally post about the refs.

Refs allowed a lot of contact, often in our favor. Felt like an old Big East game. The Freeman call was a total bailout in our favor.

If I recall correctly, when the 2nd half started, Rutgers got called for 5 fouls fairly quickly. 4 of them where called by the same ref and they were all pretty ticky-tack.

The only reason I even noticed it was because the same ref calling all the fouls against Rutgers was that my wife pointed him out to me in the 1st half as the one ref who kept calling fouls against Rutgers only.

I know the total number of fouls called eventually evened out, but I'd be interested to see how many that one ref called against Nebraska. I'm betting very few ... if any.

If I recall correctly, when the 2nd half started, Rutgers got called for 5 fouls fairly quickly. 4 of them where called by the same ref and they were all pretty ticky-tack.

The only reason I even noticed it was because the same ref calling all the fouls against Rutgers was that my wife pointed him out to me in the 1st half as the one ref who kept calling fouls against Rutgers only.

I know the total number of fouls called eventually evened out, but I'd be interested to see how many that one ref called against Nebraska. I'm betting very few ... if any.

The one call that drove me nuts was the backcourt violation they called on us when they stripped Corey and the ball went off his leg and into the backcourt . By rule that is not a violation since we didn't have possession after the strip . As a college ref you heve to know basic rules and Pikiell was arguing the same thing

The one ref acted like he had a new whistle that needed to be broken in. Not only did he miss-call several violations including the back court call, but then afterwards he was emphatically defending his call to anyone who would listen. It seemed like 80% of the time he blew his whistle the call went against RU.

I brought a friend, Arizona grad who likes Rutgers to an extent but unbiased. He said to me that there was one ref who was ridiculous. I couldn't believe some of the calls of balls going out of bounds on Nebraska and yet they got the ball. I couldn't believe they didn't review one single play.

Am I wrong?
before I even read down I am going to say he is talking about that younger dark haired ref who just looked like he was trying to be Mr. I'm in charge guy. Wanted to go down and smack him.

EDIT: now having read the comments..yep. It was that guy. And yep, it wasn't the fouls. It was those possession calls and the way that one guy acted.

By the way both staffs were very frustrated with the officials yesterday. I watched an exchange at the end of the game with one of the Nebraska assistant coaches and the one ref with the white hair - who by the way was the best one yesterday - and holy smokes they were really angry with one another. Finally the ref said bullshit and walked away.

The one call that drove me nuts was the backcourt violation they called on us when they stripped Corey and the ball went off his leg and into the backcourt . By rule that is not a violation since we didn't have possession after the strip . As a college ref you heve to know basic rules and Pikiell was arguing the same thing

To me on replay it looked like Nebraska never touched the ball - we just botched the play.

all I can say is that I noticed the dark haired ref right off the bat, not in a good way.... a good game
is when you don't notice them too much

that said, I reffed league games for 10 year olds many years ago and I now have major
sympathy for anybody who does it on a regular basis.... not so easy as it looks.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The officiating was not great, but it was not atypically bad. I still think that the one game this year where the officiating was horrendously one sided was the Seton Hall game. Our defense went from stellar to tentative because the players were spooked by some ticky tack calls. On the other end, missed calls on the offensive glass really emboldened them to play with reckless abandon. Calls are always going to be missed, and it was nice to get a break on the Freeman play. But we have only really had one game where the officiating changed the flow of the game.

Well again, they blew a few calls but I haven't seen the allowance of the kind of physical play that this crew allowed all season, not at an RU game, not in other contests. It was striking.

I didn't see that one but RU would still be considered to be in possession if the other team had not taken possession yet.

Am I wrong?

I don't know about any one particular call, I didn't even watch the game, but yeah, you're wrong overall. You don't want to be that guy and you don't want Rutgers basketball to be that guy.

There are dozens of calls that could go either way in every single game. I'm sure Nebraska fans have a similar list. The referees rarely care who wins, despite how it might feel to us fans sometimes.

Be a big-time program and just win, baby...

Reactions: wheezer
I'm generally very critical of the reffing, as I believe RU gets hosed most of the time. Didn't see it that way yesterday. Thought the blocking foul on Freeman in the 1st half was BS & maybe another call, but overall I didn't think we got the usual short end.

I'm generally very critical of the reffing, as I believe RU gets hosed most of the time. Didn't see it that way yesterday. Thought the blocking foul on Freeman in the 1st half was BS & maybe another call, but overall I didn't think we got the usual short end.

But don't you see the pattern? This time you won, and you're okay with the reffing...

The facts are that if refs called every foul there would be very few players without 5 fouls.There is hand checking and pushing under the basket to get better position and not called unless its so blatant that the refs have to blow the whistle.

Its still RU's possession there if the last touch was off Corey's leg..there wasnt a change of possession just because A Nebraska player had poked it previously

Refs were pretty bad and any good coach will tell you the same. The Ref with the poor Paul Simon haircut was particularily tough. As a newbie we don't get the calls and do any of you think that its a coincidence that the one "relatively close called" game was against another relative newbie, Nebraska.

Furthermore, you just can't look at total fouls as Nebraska was in the shooting bonus long before RU. I think it one point it was 5-0 and then 6, 7-1. Significant advantage rather than accumulating fouls at the end.

The over and back call was a prime example of both ref errror and bias. Freeman call was close and I would argue the only time we got the benefit of a call all day. Nebraska got the benefit of far more.

Last edited:
Nothing was evened out at all.

Bottom line is that the B1G doesn't want us to win. Same reason they took one of our home games away and sent it to the Garden (we did not ask for that game). The calls have been against us all year. When our guys get assaulted in the lane, we don't get the calls, meanwhile opposing players get an and-1 for being breathed on.

Don't believe me, watch the next few games. All of the fouls on the other team are always right before we're about to make an easy basket, and then we get a side out and need to play in the half court.

All of our opponents calls are while their shooting resulting in 3 point plays, or while their in the 1 and 1 on a shot so that they get two shots. It's annoying, but I'm definitely calling conspiracy.

It happens in the second half of every game too, all the sudden, we'll have 6 fouls, the other team will have 1, and the refs will start calling meaningless non-shooting fouls on the other team to even the numbers up. It happened against Nebraska, and luckily our guys gutted it out 5 on 8. That makes the win that much more impressive.

EXACTLY !

Th refs were FAR from fine.....it felt like an away game sometimes

and the TV announcers were clearly pro Nebbie sodbusters
I turned the sound off several times

THANK YOU COREY! THANK YOU TEAM!!!!!

Am I wrong?
before I even read down I am going to say he is talking about that younger dark haired ref who just looked like he was trying to be Mr. I'm in charge guy. Wanted to go down and smack him.

EDIT: now having read the comments..yep. It was that guy. And yep, it wasn't the fouls. It was those possession calls and the way that one guy acted.
That's the guy. I don't know what he deal was but perhaps a little monkey business? You really just never know? Again, I very rarely post a complaint but my whole section was up in arms over about 6 calls that were wrong.

Block/charges are tough to make so won't comment on them. The one that I was yelling at was when Corey re-stole the ball and was going one on one, the Nebraska player basically body checked Corey. No call, just Rutgers ball out of bounds.

The youngest ref with the bad haircut was not good from where I was sitting. He made virtually every controversial call.

Refs were pretty bad and any good coach will tell you the same. The Ref with the poor Paul Simon haircut was particularily tough. As a newbie we don't get the calls and do any of you think that its a coincidence that the one "relatively close called" game was against another relative newbie, Nebraska.

Furthermore, you just can't look at total fouls as Nebraska was in the shooting bonus long before RU. I think it one point it was 5-0 and then 6, 7-1. Significant advantage rather than accumulating fouls at the end.

The over and back call was a prime example of both ref errror and bias. Freeman call was close and I would argue the only time we got the benefit of a call all day. Nebraska got the benefit of far more.

Nothing was evened out at all.

Bottom line is that the B1G doesn't want us to win. Same reason they took one of our home games away and sent it to the Garden (we did not ask for that game). The calls have been against us all year. When our guys get assaulted in the lane, we don't get the calls, meanwhile opposing players get an and-1 for being breathed on.

Don't believe me, watch the next few games. All of the fouls on the other team are always right before we're about to make an easy basket, and then we get a side out and need to play in the half court.

All of our opponents calls are while their shooting resulting in 3 point plays, or while their in the 1 and 1 on a shot so that they get two shots. It's annoying, but I'm definitely calling conspiracy.

It happens in the second half of every game too, all the sudden, we'll have 6 fouls, the other team will have 1, and the refs will start calling meaningless non-shooting fouls on the other team to even the numbers up. It happened against Nebraska, and luckily our guys gutted it out 5 on 8. That makes the win that much more impressive.

You guys are simply delusional. There's no conspiracy against Rutgers. It wasn't a particularly well reffed game, but the fouls certainly were fair, overall - how you can say 18-13, in our favor, isn't fair is beyond me. I did think a couple of those out of bounds calls against us were missed, but we also got one clear one that went in our favor that shouldn't have. Big deal. The reason we've been so bad in the B1G is that we've been so bad in the B1G, not the refs.

Corey touched it last..it was still RU's possession...why are people questioning this

Bac, my understanding is that Nebraska didn't need to have possession, but if they deflected the pass and it bounced off of Corey's leg, it wouldn't have been backcourt.

Regardless, I didn't see it that way when I replayed it. It looked like a fumbled exchange by the 2 RU players, hence the backcourt call.

I didn't see that one but RU would still be considered to be in possession if the other team had not taken possession yet.
Wrong . Once the ball is stripped and a loose ball no one has possession, hence no backcourt . Even a back tap on an offensive rebound that goes into the backcourt is not considered possession and not backcourt

Corey touched it last..it was still RU's possession...why are people questioning this
Bac, you are wrong . a touch doesn't make it possession unless one team has complete control of bal at the time of the violation

ADVERTISEMENT