ADVERTISEMENT

Something is wrong with Rutgers Wrestling

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
I have raised concerns about the program and been told I am wrong.

Look what has happened. Coaches getting COVID, kids going to parties, a top wrestler texting during match, resident athletes who supporters pay not competing in many matches, questions being raised if resident athletes are at practices, recruiting falling off, volunteer coach has no credentials and major role is to work-out with the guys and recruits aren't attractive to him. Look who the volunteer coaches are at other teams - SKWC communication has gone radio silent. Don't even know who runs the SKWC. Bring back Paich who lead membership and Bugen who kept us informed. WNG said COVID prevented SKWC meetings. Have we heard of Zoom?

It can be turned around. But it doesn't look good. I know I will be criticized. Just reflecting what I see and have been told. There always can be an excuse for something going wrong. When it is a trend must admit the facts and correct the mistakes.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
This is David Bugen. I was President of the SKWC until last September. As I was referenced in an earlier post, I will try to express my opinion of recent discussions related to the team. I am not on the SKWC Board or currently privy to the inner workings of the program. These are my personal opinions.

The current SKWC Board is passionate in their support of the program, want us to be the best we can be, and is building a strong foundation for the future.

COVID is not unique to Rutgers wrestling. Many programs have missed matches as a result of COVID and some shut down. Just tonight the Iowa vs. Wisconsin match was cancelled as a result of COVID.

This has been a frustrating season for wrestling fans. Few Rutgers fans or fans of other programs are happy. Just read the message boards of our competition. This does not mean that Rutgers fans should not demand the best or accept excuses. We should always strive to be # 1. At the same time, it is important to careful about speculating about issues if we are not privy to the facts or inner workings of the program.

Message boards provide all of us with the opportunity to speak our mind. This is good as it creates excitement, fosters discussion, and builds the fan base. Personally, I am fine when questions are raised about the coaches. They are paid professionals and deserve the credit when we win and hear our frustration when we don't meet expectations. I do know that when we underperform no one is more upset than our coaches. Our coaches are also in the education business and are expected to develop students for long term success in life. We have all seen many of our wrestlers grow into being outstanding men who contribute to society and give back to Rutgers wrestling. That said, we have every right to expect outstanding performances and raise appropriate questions.

Few programs have fans as rabid as Rutgers. The Rutgers athletic administration and coaches recognize this. We have the resources and I believe that Rutgers will become a consistent top 10 or top 5 program. With our location, fan base, and resources there are no unreasonable goals. Just unreasonable time frames. I hope our fans keep expressing the Jersey passion and not settle until we reach the top. I believe our coaches and the Rutgers administration are committed to this goal.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts. My subscription to the message board expires at the end of the month so I don't expect to make future posts. That said, feel free to contact me at davidbugen@gmail.com.

Go RU!

No one has asked the question about how often we test and when did we test the kid last who tested positive Friday morning? We test daily and he tested negative Thursday before leaving. So everyone criticizing the coaches for Covid happening, I don’t know what more we should want them to do?

No one has asked the question about how often we test and when did we test the kid last who tested positive Friday morning? We test daily and he tested negative Thursday before leaving. So everyone criticizing the coaches for Covid happening, I don’t know what more we should want them to do?
Bill: Prevention is the obvious answer to your question. Testing is after-the-fact. Serious times require serious measures. Of course, it depends on how serious participation in competition is considered. I often find that there is a disconnect between my views and others in this forum, so I will present this as my view only and in doing so, I'll offer my view as if I were a coach or athletic administrator.

First, I would make sure a few things are well understood. To be a member of the team is a privilege. There are two classes of wrestler; scholarship and walk-on. Walk on wrestlers are appreciated but are also expected to consider their performance and adherence to team rules to be important. Wrestlers who receive money have an extra obligation because they are essentially being paid to perform. As an agent of the institution, I would feel responsible for making sure everything possible was being done to protect our ability to perform and thus, provide a return on the school's investment. In doing so, I would ban social gatherings, make it clear that there would be consequences, and enforce it. At critical times, if that isn't the entire season, I would require the team to quarantine themselves. No exposure or minimum exposure gives the best chance of avoiding contracting the virus.

Of course, this is just how I would approach it and obviously, I would consider the whole situation to be serious and my obligations to be very important. I would expect the same from the wrestlers.

I do not know how the virus was caught on any of the occasions but I do know that without extra precautions, it is a game of chance and the entire team can be affected by one indiscretion. An entire season can be affected by multiple indiscretions.

Reactions: rpiseman
Same behaviors to the degree possible. Follow medical staff protocols. It's all about minimizing risk. Think more in terms of what can be done, not what can't.

Unless a wrestler or coach completely self isolates from society, they will be susceptible to catching this virus. One interaction from another coach, wrestler, spouse, child relative is all it takes. That is probably one of the main reasons the NCAA has made this a free season for all, even though these instances are disappointing to us fans.

Let’s be real. Do you think these 20 year old guys are gonna completely wall themselves off from society? Not see their girlfriends?
After the 1st out break outbreak on the football team before the season I'd love to know how they did it with 105 athletes, 10 coaches and a slew of off the field assistants for 9 straight weeks. Same with men's basketball team for 4 months. Wrestling made it just 23 days. They seem to have figured out a way to avoid this, that or you think they just got lucky.

Reactions: runner3283
Let’s be real. Do you think these 20 year old guys are gonna completely wall themselves off from society? Not see their girlfriends?
52a6968c85afabb53b18ad73380db405a7c47c616972f5edc5e65bd3f49299d9_1.gif

After the 1st out break outbreak on the football team before the season I'd love to know how they did it with 105 athletes, 10 coaches and a slew of off the field assistants for 9 straight weeks. Same with men's basketball team for 4 months. Wrestling made it just 23 days. They seem to have figured out a way to avoid this, that or you think they just got lucky.
The football team had one outbreak

The wrestling team has had one outbreak

The football team had one outbreak

The wrestling team has had one outbreak
Football team had one outbreak 1st week of practice. Proceed to practice for over a month as the schedule got pushed back then played for 9 straight weeks after that. Wrestling had an outbreak off for two weeks then another positive. Those are not the same situations like you tried to portray.

Football team had one outbreak 1st week of practice. Proceed to practice for over a month as the schedule got pushed back then played for 9 straight weeks after that. Wrestling had an outbreak off for two weeks then another positive. Those are not the same situations like you tried to portray.
This most recent positive case is likely a holdover from the previous outbreak. Just because football had their outbreak immediately and wrestling had their’s midseason doesn’t mean either program is more disciplined than the other.

People are portraying the wrestling program as out of control frat boys party time. Wrestling is a contact sport of up close hand to hand combat. Coaches are doing their best to control everything the kids do. Covid sucks as does everything that has to be done to combat it. My biased opinion.

Bill: Prevention is the obvious answer to your question. Testing is after-the-fact. Serious times require serious measures. Of course, it depends on how serious participation in competition is considered. I often find that there is a disconnect between my views and others in this forum, so I will present this as my view only and in doing so, I'll offer my view as if I were a coach or athletic administrator.

First, I would make sure a few things are well understood. To be a member of the team is a privilege. There are two classes of wrestler; scholarship and walk-on. Walk on wrestlers are appreciated but are also expected to consider their performance and adherence to team rules to be important. Wrestlers who receive money have an extra obligation because they are essentially being paid to perform. As an agent of the institution, I would feel responsible for making sure everything possible was being done to protect our ability to perform and thus, provide a return on the school's investment. In doing so, I would ban social gatherings, make it clear that there would be consequences, and enforce it. At critical times, if that isn't the entire season, I would require the team to quarantine themselves. No exposure or minimum exposure gives the best chance of avoiding contracting the virus.

Of course, this is just how I would approach it and obviously, I would consider the whole situation to be serious and my obligations to be very important. I would expect the same from the wrestlers.

I do not know how the virus was caught on any of the occasions but I do know that without extra precautions, it is a game of chance and the entire team can be affected by one indiscretion. An entire season can be affected by multiple indiscretions.
If they can’t protect the most powerful man in the world ...the President...from this once in a lifetime virus then believe me these wrestlers can not be protected from it either ...no one knows how this virus perpetuates itself no matter what precautions are taken ..blaming the coaches or the culture of our guys is a joke

As difficult as it all has been, imagine if they had allowed the wrestlers a one second handshake at the beginning and end of each match? I'm so thankful we have guidance and science. $$$$

Last edited:
As difficult as it all has been, imagine if they had allowed the wrestlers a one second handshake at the beginning and end of each match? I'm so thankful we have guidance and science. $$$$

This is kind of ridiculous for the sport of wrestling. Your have HAND FIGHTING for several minutes during the match, but you cant have a hand shake?

This is kind of ridiculous for the sport of wrestling. Your have HAND FIGHTING for several minutes during the match, but you cant have a hand shake?
The best is when they slap hands after the ref blows the whistle then they wrestle. It's just what wrestlers do in practice before a live go they slap hands or fist bump.

If they can’t protect the most powerful man in the world ...the President...from this once in a lifetime virus then believe me these wrestlers can not be protected from it either ...no one knows how this virus perpetuates itself no matter what precautions are taken ..blaming the coaches or the culture of our guys is a joke
I'll refrain from pointing out how nonsensical your post is unless you want to know. But I'd like to hear what you think can be done besides throwing up one's arms and saying what will be, will be.

This is David Bugen. I was President of the SKWC until last September. As I was referenced in an earlier post, I will try to express my opinion of recent discussions related to the team. I am not on the SKWC Board or currently privy to the inner workings of the program. These are my personal opinions.

The current SKWC Board is passionate in their support of the program, want us to be the best we can be, and is building a strong foundation for the future.

COVID is not unique to Rutgers wrestling. Many programs have missed matches as a result of COVID and some shut down. Just tonight the Iowa vs. Wisconsin match was cancelled as a result of COVID.

This has been a frustrating season for wrestling fans. Few Rutgers fans or fans of other programs are happy. Just read the message boards of our competition. This does not mean that Rutgers fans should not demand the best or accept excuses. We should always strive to be # 1. At the same time, it is important to careful about speculating about issues if we are not privy to the facts or inner workings of the program.

Message boards provide all of us with the opportunity to speak our mind. This is good as it creates excitement, fosters discussion, and builds the fan base. Personally, I am fine when questions are raised about the coaches. They are paid professionals and deserve the credit when we win and hear our frustration when we don't meet expectations. I do know that when we underperform no one is more upset than our coaches. Our coaches are also in the education business and are expected to develop students for long term success in life. We have all seen many of our wrestlers grow into being outstanding men who contribute to society and give back to Rutgers wrestling. That said, we have every right to expect outstanding performances and raise appropriate questions.

Few programs have fans as rabid as Rutgers. The Rutgers athletic administration and coaches recognize this. We have the resources and I believe that Rutgers will become a consistent top 10 or top 5 program. With our location, fan base, and resources there are no unreasonable goals. Just unreasonable time frames. I hope our fans keep expressing the Jersey passion and not settle until we reach the top. I believe our coaches and the Rutgers administration are committed to this goal.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts. My subscription to the message board expires at the end of the month so I don't expect to make future posts. That said, feel free to contact me at davidbugen@gmail.com.

Go RU!
Well said David...Ron

Reactions: DUForever
This is Brian Paich. I appreciate the compliment that the OP gave me and I respect the fact that someone cared enough to post but I can’t agree with the overall premise and tone of his post. My comments are addressed not just to the OP but to anyone who may agree with what RACPAC wrote.

I am no longer as active as I once was with the SKWC but I continue to enthusiastically support both this program and the SKWC. Other clubs have had a decades head start on the SKWC but we have been making up ground at an incredible pace. In our third year of offering memberships we had over 300 dues paying members! The support of the Rutgers administration, coaching staff, and dedicated volunteers made this growth possible.

I’ve been privileged to be more “inside” this program more than almost anyone on this board and I can tell you flat out the the effort and passion of our staff is exemplary. I’ve gotten to know many of our student athletes and there is not one of them that I can say was not dedicated to both their sport and the academic responsibility that comes with being a student athlete. That being said there are always mistakes made along the way, If you have never made a mistake feel free to criticize those who do.

Covid has screwed up everyone and everything and intercollegiate athletics are no different. Our wrestling program has been built on a solid foundation by dedicated people who have a vision and know how to get there. Don’t agree with me? Your prerogative but instead of complaining do something. Volunteer to help with the SKWC, donate, talk up the Rutgers Wrestling program, and be a season ticket holder if you are not already.

One crazy season does not define a program. If someone said to you 10 years ago that Rutgers would have 2 national champions in a single season before the end of the decade most people would have chuckled. It’s the same guys driving the bus that stated back then that it could be done. I’m not wearing rose colored glasses when I say that a team trophy in March is not that far away. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

And what proof do you have that there were indiscretions ..none ..all speculation with no facts ..just keep blaming someone ...that’s what you do !

Reactions: DUForever
ADVERTISEMENT