ADVERTISEMENT

Something is wrong

Did you see Harper just look at that ball instead of grabbing the rebound? And Johnson just look at the ball after missing the jam? WTF??

Pike quit on the team with the refs so the team has quit on pike. That’s why you saw Myles, Ron and others take to twitter to defend themselves from the refs. Because their own coach is spineless and won’t do it. They have quit on him

Scary, but very possibly true.

Give me a break. If the players gave up because they got screwed 5 games ago that’s on them. Nothing a coach could do to fix people that pathetic. I mean I don’t believe that is true but if it actually was we should just pull all their scholarships

There are some crazy posts on this thread and I assume that many are from people that just started watching when RU started getting ranked. You really don’t seem to know this team or coach with your off the hip comments.

Agree that team is playing deflated, without passion and frustrated. I think part of the reason started with the first OSU game is that teams are going to try to outmuscle RU and RU has not responded to the challenge because of a number of reasons. RU has to play its game and f@ck the whistle. Physicality and defense has to be a hallmark of Coach P and the team.

The team is too hesitant on playing their game and matching the effort. I also love coach Pike but I feel he’s needs to get a tech and show everyone his team will not back down to the challenge. I say if RU is going to lose the “fouls called” game go down swinging no matter what. Team, except Jacob, is not showing the same passion for whatever reason. Pike which I love needs to demonstrate outwardly he has the team’s back IMHO.

Also, Ron looks a step slower and hurt in my opinion. His defense, effort, acceleration, jump don’t look the same. Also he needs to shoot mid range shot more especially when he goes cold from 3pt.

I also thin Docoure needs to play more over Reiber. Reiber did not play well today and had too many turnovers, bad shoots, and lost rebs for the time played. Pike brought him in too early and too often.

GO RU

Pike quit on the team with the refs so the team has quit on pike. That’s why you saw Myles, Ron and others take to twitter to defend themselves from the refs. Because their own coach is spineless and won’t do it. They have quit on him

Every time this thought enters my head, I push it out. I really don't want to believe it, but it's very easy to. For now, I choose not to believe it, but I do feel like Pike should have taken one for the team to give his guys cover.

There are some crazy posts on this thread and I assume that many are from people that just started watching when RU started getting ranked. You really don’t seem to know this team or coach with your off the hip comments.

Agree that team is playing deflated, without passion and frustrated. I think part of the reason started with the first OSU game is that teams are going to try to outmuscle RU and RU has not responded to the challenge because of a number of reasons. RU has to play its game and f@ck the whistle. Physicality and defense has to be a hallmark of Coach P and the team.

The team is too hesitant on playing their game and matching the effort. I also love coach Pike but I feel he’s needs to get a tech and show everyone his team will not back down to the challenge. I say if RU is going to lose the “fouls called” game go down swinging no matter what. Team, except Jacob, is not showing the same passion for whatever reason. Pike which I love needs to demonstrate outwardly he has the team’s back IMHO.

Also, Ron looks a step slower and hurt in my opinion. His defense, effort, acceleration, jump don’t look the same. Also he needs to shoot mid range shot more especially when he goes cold from 3pt.

I also thin Docoure needs to play more over Reiber. Reiber did not play well today and had too many turnovers, bad shoots, and lost rebs for the time played. Pike brought him in too early and too often.

GO RU

Doesn't seem like we're prioritizing what Pike preached: Rebounds, D....which leads to O.

Instead we fell in love with the press clippings, rankings, accolades from around the basketball world and it went to our head.

How many times was Tez stuffed near the rim? How many lose balls did we grab? We seem slow and lethargic.

Hoping Pike revises his lineup....and inserts Caleb into the starting lineup and brings Tez off the bench. When does Cliff return or is this Rutgers version of waiting for Godot?

MO

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
We have so many individuals that can take over any game, but last 2 no one has. Someone needs to take over

Which is yet another reason why I suspect this team is still not healthy. Take Ron for example. You don't go from NBA prospect to what we see now in the course of two weeks. The problem is compounded when the guys let the injuries and foul calls get in their heads. Our opponents see all this as have been targeting our weaknesses with precision. Dear God, just let us get healthy.

Reactions: rutger80
Same problems. Too many one on one bball. You can see when we go on scoring runs, they play team basketball.

Your team is very good. Just not Final Four good like some were hinting at earlier. They'll make the NCAAs and win a couple of games. I wish I could say that for my team, either this season or next...

doesn’t look like Pikiel wants to win. He does not know how to coach talent. He treats every player as if they are the same level. Plays too many players for too many minutes

I like Mathis but he needs to learn how to kick it out. He does a great job sucking in the D but he tries to finish 1 on 3. I’m sure he is getting fouled but no one is going to call that when you go 1 on 3.

Pikiell not that tough on the players. Can't focus them. Tell Geo he's not the general. Need more hops from Harper, Johnson should get more aggressive. Foul out every game if necessary. But mainly, don't believe the hype. Being this media whorehouse gets to these young guys, humility would help more than a nother microscope, special closeup for tv wolves.

We have three freshman forwards on scholarship. What are we getting from them? None have proven capable of being in the rotation and playing good defense and getting rebounds. Some of perimeter players don't seem interested in doing the dirty work. This has to change.

You are implying we move on from Pike? I’m as disappointed as anybody right now but the mid-game overreactions on this board SUCK
Seriously. This is some of the stupidest shit I’ve ever read. Bunch of drama queens. Is it frustrating to be on a 3 game losing streak? Sure. Am I concerned? You bet. But jeeeeesus enough with this garbage

no we won't. Myles keeps getting called for moving screens and ticky tack swipes away from the rim.

IMO he just needs to play near the rip, alter shots, block them when possible and grab the rebound.

Reiber should set the screens and chase or Docure, or Mag, or anyone else.

Tez needs to stop forcing it up and getting stuffed...

Very frustrating and Pike doesn't have any answers...only praise for the opposing coach and how well they're coached.

F' OSU!

MO

Montez? Montez is one of the better decision makers and less selfish players on the team. He hardly gets a chance to shoot his shots. It’s plenty of other players who you can say throws up the ball way too much

doesn’t look like Pikiel wants to win. He does not know how to coach talent. He treats every player as if they are the same level. Plays too many players for too many minutes
Do you honestly think that the coach that got Rutgers.... RUTGERS!... into the tourney field last season and into the top 15 this season doesn’t know how to coach? RUTGERS!

Before the last two years, Rutgers was a national laughingstock. The only thing that ended thirty years of futility is Pike. My goodness.

When he’s hired away by a much better program this off-season, you’ll see how valuable he actually was.

Do you honestly think that the coach that got Rutgers.... RUTGERS!... into the tourney field last season and into the top 15 this season doesn’t know how to coach? RUTGERS!

Before the last two years, Rutgers was a national laughingstock. The only thing that ended thirty years of futility is Pike. My goodness.

When he’s hired away by a much better program this off-season, you’ll see how valuable he actually was.

He would make a great high school or AAU team coach for sure.... the same way that you say he ended thirty years of futility is the same way that he can end what the team had going. I get what you’re saying. But nobody can sit here and tell me that is cool to rotate that many guards and make that many rotations. Especially so early in the game. No disrespect but seriously, nobody can tell me that that is a good choice. We have talent on the team absolutely but when we are playing in these competitive games, he should not be trying things out and rotating 5 players at a time. That’s a easy way to fall behind and then hope that when our veteran players come back in that they can make up for that slack. Not cool.

Also, don’t forget the PLAYERS that got us to where we are now!

Seems like collectively the team spent too much time reading press clippings and their high ranking and lost their edge. We will see what they are made of.

He isn't going anywhere, he likes a challenge, not some blue blood program where everything is easy.

What school do you root for? Don't remember seeing your posts two weeks ago when everything was sunshine and roses.

You make some very good points. I don't think most of us feel he should be fired. But he does need to fix whatever is wrong.

Reactions: Vassar69
We have talent on the team absolutely but when we are playing in these competitive games, he should not be trying things out and rotating 5 players at a time.
Yea, it’s almost like he’s trying to work a key guy from last year back into the lineup who has been out with an injury all year while also managing injuries to two of our star players or something. Totally inexcusable.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
We are not quick enough nor athletic enough top to bottom. Pike try’s to make up for that by recruiting length but that only goes so far.

We are constantly being beat off the dribble on the defensive and offensive end.

Stating the obvious...Ever since the first OSU loss, we're not playing aggressively on defense. For that matter, we're not really aggressive on offense (EXCEPT FOR JY). The body language after every non-call....or call, is showing every ref that we're a bunch of cry babies that don't deserve to get the benefit of the call.

Yea, it’s almost like he’s trying to work a key guy from last year back into the lineup who has been out with an injury all year while also managing injuries to two of our star players or something. Totally inexcusable.

Exactly! And I love Caleb and the rest of the young guys. But we were looking like a top tier team before his return. Nothing against him but why fix something that is not broken by forcing players into the lineup

Exactly! And I love Caleb and the rest of the young guys. But we were looking like a top tier team before his return. Nothing against him but why fix something that is not broken by forcing players into the lineup
No I was being sarcastic. What I was saying was normally the rotation would be ironed out by now, but he’s still juggling the lineup around because we’ve had guys coming in and out with injuries all year.

Lots of stupidity in this thread.

We’re not as talented as the rest of the league? Total nonsense - maybe not on paper and from a recruiting perspective 4-5 other teams (ie Mich St), but without injuries, we’re pretty deep.

We can’t run an offense? How were we looking when we climbed to be ranked #12? Yes, Rutgers at #12. Amazing how good an offense looks when you hit shots. Harper and Young were on fire. Mathis was hot, Geo was hitting some shots. These guys have disappeared the last couple games, the upperclassmen need to step up!!!

Pike can’t coach talent? WTF? Who said that? Do we need to go down the list of how players have improved since getting here? Geo, Harper, Mathis, Myles, Caleb...Remember these were not super highly recruited guys.

The fouls? Yes, we got jobbed a lot, and the 1st OSU was total BS, sent us into a spiral. But we do reach a lot, use too much hand, and just make boneheaded fouls. Flybys on fast breaks for and ones, stupid fouls away from the basket, etc

Free throws? Oh boy.

Bottom line is the kids read too much hype, started going one one too much, had injuries, and most of all stopped playing D and stopped hitting shots. The upperclassmen need to step up and lead.

Anyone with idiotic thoughts of replacing Pike...thanks for your opinion...but have NO idea what they are talking about. The RAC was sold out almost every game last year, would’ve been in NCAAs (after many coaches and 30 years!$&!$&$!!!!!!), was ranked up to 12th this season, and after last season’s success started recruiting some higher tier guys (Cliff, Jones, etc).

It’s been torture watching the last few games but stop the nonsense.

Last edited:
Montez? Montez is one of the better decision makers and less selfish players on the team. He hardly gets a chance to shoot his shots. It’s plenty of other players who you can say throws up the ball way too much

I like MM...but today he looked a dime short, slow, wasn't grabbing rebounds, didn't defend with his A game ...and it seemed he forced up a several shots inside (perhaps when the clock was running out) that were stuffed.

MO

Lots of stupidity in this thread.

We’re not as talented as the rest of the league? Total nonsense - maybe not on paper and from a recruiting perspective 4-5 other teams (ie Mich St), but without injuries, we’re pretty deep.

We can’t run an offense? How were we looking when we climbed to be ranked #12? Yes, Rutgers at #12. Amazing how good an offense looks when you hit shots. Harper and Young were on fire. Mathis was hot, Geo was hitting some shots. These guys have disappeared the last couple games, the upperclassmen need to step up!!!

Pike can’t coach talent? WTF? Who said that? Do we need to go down the list of how players have improved since getting here? Geo, Harper, Mathis, Myles, Caleb...Remember these were not super highly recruited guys.

The fouls? Yes, we got jobbed a lot, and the 1st OSU was total BS, sent us into a spiral. But we do reach a lot, use too much hand, and just make boneheaded fouls. Flybys on fast breaks for and ones, stupid fouls away from the basket, etc

Free throws? Oh boy.

Bottom line is the kids read too much hype, started going one one too much, had injuries, and most of all stopped playing D and stopped hitting shots. The upperclassmen need to step up and lead.

Anyone with idiotic thoughts of replacing Pike...thanks for your opinion...but have NO idea what they are talking about. The RAC was sold out almost every game last year, would’ve been in NCAAs, was ranked up to 12th this season, and after last season’s success started recruiting some higher tier guys (Cliff, Jones, etc).

It’s been torture watching the last few games but stop the nonsense.
This makes too much sense, therefore does not belong in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT