ADVERTISEMENT

Sooooooo what happens if the new coach picks Laviano as starter?

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
entirely plausible scenario. Rettig stays, they hold a competiton and Laviano starts. Do the pitchforks and and torches come out? I wonder how this board would react?

Reactions: mildone and ron313
entirely plausible scenario. Rettig stays, they hold a competiton and Laviano starts. Do the pitchforks and and torches come out? I wonder how this board would react?
So be it. If Rutgers switches to more of a read option type game with a fair amount of QB running (like MD did with their backup), Laviano's tools may be a good fit.

It is the idea of using Laviano in a strict pro style offense, where Laviano's lack of arm strength allowed defenses to stack the box against our running up the middle, that drove people nuts.

There are plenty of successful college QB's without an NFL strength arm, but they are successful in offenses other than the one we ran.

Well I'm pretty sure the next coach will pull him if he's entirely ineffective in a game we could win. Or if he's been ineffective for four or five straight games.

It wasn't simply that he was named the starter, it was that Flood refused to pull him out for even one series throughout the season. Pretty sure most coaches would have handled the situation differently.

So be it. If Rutgers switches to more of a read option type game with a fair amount of QB running (like MD did with their backup), Laviano's tools may be a good fit.

It is the idea of using Laviano in a strict pro style offense, where Laviano's lack of arm strength allowed defenses to stack the box against our running up the middle, that drove people nuts.

There are plenty of successful college QB's without an NFL strength arm, but they are successful in offenses other than the one we ran.
Wow we recruit pro style QB's then switch the whole system, for the guy with no arm.
Sounds like Schiano and Savage all over again.

Rettig simply is not the great QB people have made him out to be in their minds. No touch, poor accuracy, trouble reading D's. In a sense he's Dodd 2.0. He's the back up who people dream can turn the game around if you just put him in but then when you actually switch starters you will see why he was on the bench the whole time.

Savage's arm was not the problem. Kyle Floods O Line was the problem.....hmm his name keeps coming up

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Next year we also have Dare and Gio competing for the spot, plus Russo if he doesn't redshirt. I would be surprised if Laviano gets the nod again.

Reactions: OffTheBanks
Rettig simply is not the great QB people have made him out to be in their minds. No touch, poor accuracy, trouble reading D's. In a sense he's Dodd 2.0. He's the back up who people dream can turn the game around if you just put him in but then when you actually switch starters you will see why he was on the bench the whole time.

Ed - based on what? His limited snaps with players with a pulse? The kid played one half of football week one and looked solid. He showed promise. After that he played mop up duty or came into games when the it was blowout loss and the kids just wanted off the field. Also, based on Flood's refusal to let him play meaningful snaps during the game, I am confident that he was not getting a lot of snaps at practice with the first team. Look, you may be right about him but I'm not sure how you peg the kid based on his limited meaningful snaps this year.

If Rettig rides the pine, the fault lies with Barchi or Hermann or Flood, take your pick.

My issue is that Flood said they were 1a /1b coming out of camp. Laviano was named starter and was not good. In that situation you give the other guy a chance if they were so close to each other in camp, which Flood didn't do.

Oh yeah man your so right.... Or it could be we just had a stubborn coach who thinks he's always right. If the case your saying was right then the summer qb competition wouldn't have been "SOOO" close then.

This board is all too predictable. If we win it does not matter who the coach or the QB is. If we win most fans will give too much credit to the coach and QB and a select few will still take cheap shots on this board and hope we lose so they can say "I've been saying this for months."

If we lose then the majority of fans on this board will place all of the blame on the QB and the HC. A select few will try to say something positive and get shot down by the jagaloons.

This is not my assumption. This is how the bulletin board has been since inception. The backup QB is always the most pooular player amongst fans. Win or lose. It doesn't matter who the starter or backup is.

Having said that, I personally had no problem with playing more than one QB in the past and wanted to see Rettig this year. We did it in 2005 to get Teel ready for 2006 and it worked well in spite of what you may read by our fans. We won every game we would have with or without Teel playing and he was experienced for the big 2006 campaign. I also thought it worked pretty well Nova's Freshman year. It was obvious he was the better QB but Dodd is a gamer and I liked seeing both of them get time out there. I thought it did not work well with Dodd and Savage and have mixed feelings on the Lucas years.

Reactions: mildone
I have been told many times by people who are a lot closer to the situation than I am that Rettig is not as good as people think and that Laviano is better.

That's wasn't the issue. The problem was that Flood was always too stubborn to let the kid prove it on the field. And that's not even considering the selfish reason of getting the fans and the media off your back once in a while.

I'm not saying the fans and media should dictate a coaches moves.
Once a starter is chosen, the coach has to let him make some mistakes. However, with Flood, once a starter was chosen, the backups might as well transfer. He did the same with Nova and Dodd. 5 interceptions against Kent and you have to be riding the pine or it knocks all the competitiveness out of the bench players. Starters need to know someone will step in if you don't perform....but not so much they are afraid to take some chances. The good coaches know this and know how to do it effectively. The others are like Flood.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Laviano was freaking awesome against Maryland. You'd all be incredibly lucky to have him around next year. If you guys end up running both Savage and Laviano out of town, it will be an absolute shame.

Reactions: BaseballFan913
I don't see it as an issue of whether CL of HR is named the starter by our next coach. I see it as a question of whether our next coach will give the second stringer a meaningful in-game opportunity, should the first stringer stink up the place.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Laviano was freaking awesome against Maryland. You'd all be incredibly lucky to have him around next year. If you guys end up running both Savage and Laviano out of town, it will be an absolute shame.
Laviano played above his abilities in that game.... Did you see the 5 games leading up to that one????

This board is all too predictable. If we win it does not matter who the coach or the QB is. If we win most fans will give too much credit to the coach and QB and a select few will still take cheap shots on this board and hope we lose so they can say "I've been saying this for months."

If we lose then the majority of fans on this board will place all of the blame on the QB and the HC. A select few will try to say something positive and get shot down by the jagaloons.

This is not my assumption. This is how the bulletin board has been since inception. The backup QB is always the most pooular player amongst fans. Win or lose. It doesn't matter who the starter or backup is.

Having said that, I personally had no problem with playing more than one QB in the past and wanted to see Rettig this year. We did it in 2005 to get Teel ready for 2006 and it worked well in spite of what you may read by our fans. We won every game we would have with or without Teel playing and he was experienced for the big 2006 campaign. I also thought it worked pretty well Nova's Freshman year. It was obvious he was the better QB but Dodd is a gamer and I liked seeing both of them get time out there. I thought it did not work well with Dodd and Savage and have mixed feelings on the Lucas years.

How true this is. True of all fan bases. Fans just have knee jerk reactions and see things as black or white. It requires too much thought on their part to see things any other way.

The fact that you think long-awaited four-star QB Tom Savage was "run out of town" destroys any credibility in your post. He transferred out on his own accord, and tried to come back.

And Laviano had a very good statistical game against Maryland, whose poor defense is ranked literally one spot above that of Rutgers. But I wouldn't call the quality of his longer passes "awesome". I'm thankful that Leonte Carroo, a star receiver who can gain separation from DB's and adjust to virtually any thrown ball, came back for this year.

That is your opinion, but not based on facts.

If Laviano is the starter next season and plays well, great!

If he is the starter next season and plays like he did for that lousy four or five game stretch, and the new coach pulls him, that's... I don't want to say that's good because who wants lousy QB play for 1/3 of the season, but that's better than what happened this season.

If he is the starter, plays lousy, and no backup sees meaningful time on the field again, that would be a major problem.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Laviano wasn't his usual poor self against Maryland. He was adequate, if not better, but Caroo is responsible for making him look better than he was that day. He made several catches that only a 1st round type NFL player makes.

Wow we recruit pro style QB's then switch the whole system, for the guy with no arm.
Sounds like Schiano and Savage all over again.
Wow, work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say we switch the system for Laviano, I said if a new coach brings in a system like the read option, Laviano's tools might fit in better than the other QB's we currently have.

What is your answer, that RU must hire a coach that only plays pro style because that is what Flood recruited for?

"What if" well, this is entirely wild guess opinion, since we don't know the coach, don't know the type of offense, the total team chemistry ... and we do not know if this will be better or worse for Laviano ....... and thanks to Flood, we do not, emphatically do not, know how Rettig would perform over the course of several real full games with the first string.... in any scenario.

However, this is not so much of a 'wild guess' - the new coach, if he decides to start Laviano, will not have managed the process of getting to announcing Laviano as the starter in the dysfunctional and obstinately ambiguous manner that Flood followed.

Maybe the new coach and his staff retool Laviano's mechanics ? (remember Fridge's bewilderment when he began to work with Nova - - and he could not believe that many fundamental flaws had never been corrected in Nova's technique - and Fridge made many positive adjustments) .. maybe the new offense would clearly favor Laviano's basic skill set?

While I had questions about the selection of Laviano as 'the starter' it seemed to me that the head coach was entitled to his choice .... that is why he is paid ... but, when the choice is clearly, clearly encountering extreme difficulty, and there is a theoretically viable alternative available any reasonable person takes the opportunity to get a verifiable understanding what his 2nd option at QB can do in an extended real game situation. Only an obstinate stiff legged numb-skull clings to preconceived notions and refuses to verify the accuracy of their opinion.

This was really odd for a math teacher like Flood - can you imagine how frustrated he would get with a student that came up with an answer to a difficult math problem & then, even when the opportunity was there, adamantly refused to check his work.

If Laviano is the starter and plays well. Everyone's happy.

If he plays poorly game after game and the HC continually says things like benching him won't be good for his development then Rutgers had hired Flood back and everyone will lose their minds.

My issue is that Flood said they were 1a /1b coming out of camp. Laviano was named starter and was not good. In that situation you give the other guy a chance if they were so close to each other in camp, which Flood didn't do.

.... add to that another issue that, to me, was just repugnant - It became clear that there was some issur that Flood had with Rettig - and Flood would never deal with it head-on ... but was passive aggressive as hell - beginning with - when Laviano was named the starter. Flood was asked about what the differences - he first tried to deflect the question - but then for some inexplicable reason , he rambled off into some babbling verbiage about 'deficiencies' (pretty clearly directed toward Rettig) and not wanting to help opponents plan to exploit them. I thought - why couldn't he just say we are blessed with two great players - can only play one at a time - this is how we move forward.... that is what a good coach does.

It wasn't that close coming out of camp. They all picked Laviano including Ralph. No one here actually knows Rettig. You see him throw a few balls and think this is the guy. For whatever reason, we wasn't. Maybe that changes in the spring, maybe not. But the anointing the back up every year gets boring.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
I wouldn't have a problem if Laviano was named starter. But i would have a problem if the next coach handled the QB's the same way flood did, the
It wasn't that close coming out of camp. They all picked Laviano including Ralph. No one here actually knows Rettig. You see him throw a few balls and think this is the guy. For whatever reason, we wasn't. Maybe that changes in the spring, maybe not. But the anointing the back up every year gets boring.
......... If it wasn't that close why did it take a month to choose the starter

If Rettig is not the clear starter by the end of the Spring, then he doesn't have what it takes between his ears to run a college offense. Physically, there is no issue. He is far superior. The reason he came out of camp as the 1B, to Laviano's 1A, was an inability to master the playbook. That comes straight outta Compton if you get my drift. It was so bad in camp that he would call a play in the huddle and not know where people should be lined up by the time he got under center. That, more than anything, is why the team rallied around Lavs in public statements. Rettig just didn't know the offense.

Once the season started and it became a #FreeRetig weekly circus, Fludd, in his typical arrogant stubborn way, made it personal. Rettig clearly didn't get 1B snaps in practice or in games. He had no real opportunity to progress during the season.

If the same scenario plays out next off season with a new staff, you have to conclude that Rettig is a shorts and t-shirt 7 on 7 QB. It happens.

Flood said in public it was close.

That is your opinion, but not based on facts.

That's an awful comparison. Dodd won bowl games and games against ranked teams and lead RU to comeback wins. End of season When he finally got a chance again Carroo was hurt. Where is Nova without Carroo?

nuclear-explosion-miscellaneous-tube-796363.jpg

And then they'd boo Laviano as he took the field

If you pick a HC from the "B" list this may be an issue. If you pick a HC from the "A" list half your roster will be gone in two years and the other half will be gone by year three.

Let's assume your HC is from the "B" list anyone one on that roster has a legit shot as a starting QB.

ADVERTISEMENT