ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Sosa staying with Rutgers!!

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (July 12, 2019) – After being selected in the 19th round (pick 567) of the MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays last month, Rutgers baseball signee Gustavo Sosa has announced his decision to head to campus and become a Scarlet Knight this fall. The catcher from Staten Island had until Friday’s 5 p.m. deadline to consider the professional contract.

“I thought a lot about this decision and I’m super excited to see what the next few years hold for me at Rutgers,” Sosa said. “I’m just going to continue to be myself, work hard and let God do the rest. Looking forward to being part of the team.”

“We are extremely excited to get an athlete of Gus’ caliber to join the program,” head coach Steve Owens said. “He is someone that we are confident will develop into an impact player that will help us in our journey of building Rutgers baseball.”

Gustavo Sosa

C | 6-2 | 180 | R/R

Staten Island, N.Y./Tottenville High School

Notes: Played this past season at Tottenville High School in Staten Island … helped team to a 15-4 record, winning the PSAL AAA Southern Division … had a .590 on-base percentage for the season with 16 hits and 17 walks … drove in 15 runs and scored 18 times … added seven stolen bases … hit 4-for-6 with three walks, five RBIs and four stolen bases in three playoff games … previously played at Moore Catholic … named First Team All-Staten Island … a Third Team Preseason Underclass All-American … played travel baseball with Richmond County Baseball Club from 2013-18 … took part in mix martial arts for six years … takes part in yoga … son of Gustavo and Lisa Sosa … has two older twins sisters, Carina and Carolina … sisters are in college studying special education and sign language.

Serruto and Sosa, equals two catchers on the roster who were selected in the MLB draft.

This is the way it has to be in order to complete.

Rutkowski is pitching well in the difficult Cape League, and barring injury will pitch professionally

We need a dozen of these guys, 3 or 4 need to be pitchers throwing over 90

Last edited:
Serruto and Sosa, equals two catchers on the roster who were selected in the MLB draft.

This is the way it has to be in order to complete.

Rutkowski is pitching well in the difficult Cape League, and barring injury will pitch professionally

We need a dozen of these guys, 3 or 4 need to be pitchers throwing over 90

Are there really many 18 year olds who can throw 90 and get it over the plate? I know Leiter's kid can. Too bad he'll be at Vandy.

Are there really many 18 year olds who can throw 90 and get it over the plate? I know Leiter's kid can. Too bad he'll be at Vandy.
Yes. Maybe not that many consistently mid 90's. Lower 90s most decent teams in a good conference have 3-4 probably at any time,

Sosa is an important player for us. He will be a good option in the inf and dh. Hopefully serruto improves on offense, and sosa can spell him and provide a solid bat.

This is great news - first time in a long time (I can't remember the last time) that we have three guys on the roster who were MLB picks out of HS.I think this kid had an exceptionally high PG rating.

Zappa, do you know how much it would cost to build your Dad’s stadium today ? Thanks

It really isnt as much . We could have a legitimate division 1 facility, with grandstand, press box, lights, formal entrace porbably 4-6 million. A facility for lockerooms players lounge and trainers and weight room would be another level, though not necessary. It might be a little different however, if we get a solid d1 facilities we can start hosting summer ball and state tournament games, which is a plus for the team. I would imagine we could generate decent money from some tournaments looking for a venue.

Every time I see the Sometset Patriots stadium in Bridgewater-Raritan, it drives me nuts. That could have been in Piscataway for Rutgers to use.

Every time I see the Sometset Patriots stadium in Bridgewater-Raritan, it drives me nuts. That could have been in Piscataway for Rutgers to use.

That’s exactly why I can’t understand why people on here want to fire Hobbs. I get that’s he’s not perfect but man has he moved this athletic department forward in a short period.

I’m not sure if people really understand how incompetent and dysfunctional our past ADs were on so many levels.

ADVERTISEMENT