Sporting News Ranks All CFB Coaches 1-130

Discussion in 'Rutgers Football' started by colbert17, Jun 13, 2019.

1. colbert17

colbert17 All American
    Expand Collapse

2. BeantownKnight

BeantownKnight All Conference
    Expand Collapse

NotInRHouse and MoobyCow like this.
  3. Knight Shift

Knight Shift Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

90 is fair.

But we have this going for us:

130. Walt Bell, Massachusetts (NR)
    88. Lovie Smith, Illinois (84)
    80. Hugh Freeze, Liberty (NR)
    79. Mike Locksley, Maryland (NR)

Weird to have Buffalo's coach Lance Leopold at 86.

Actually surprised Locksley is not lower. Those 3 are are best chances of going 1-0 each week.

And of the above 5 mentioned, former head coaches include Lovie Smith, Hugh Freeze, Mike Locksley, and Leopold.

WhichReligionIsRight likes this.
  4. superfan01

superfan01 All American
    Expand Collapse

@ru66 no where to be found. Again.

Local Shill and cicero grimes like this.
  5. koleszar

koleszar Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually to me 90 seems high. Just look behind him Troy Calhoun has a lifetime winning record/ 4-5 in bowls. Jay Norvell is 11-14/1-0 in bowls. What has Ash proven 7-29/ 0 bowls? That he knows how to give a good interview and con a novice AD into extending him and retaining him.

6. Scarlet_Scourge

Scarlet_Scourge Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Chris Ash has only coach 3 seasons so far, he will be going into his forth this year, but it somehow feels like it been longer....

Who has he beaten during that time.... lets take a look:

2016:
    Howard (FCS)
    New Mexico

2017:
    Morgan State (FCS)
    Illinois
    Purdue
    Maryland

2018:
    Texas State

That's it.

sct1111, NotInRHouse and BlockR like this.
  7. Knight Shift

Expand Collapse

C'mon, that last part is just pure BS. Con? He conned nobody. It is fairly standard in Head Coaching contracts that if sanctions are levied due to acts of the previous administration, an extension is granted. This topic has been beaten to death. Now, what could have been done is that the language could have been modified to say that no extension would be granted if the sanctions were minor and the sanctions were volunteered to the NCAA. Maybe my timing is off, but the timing was close where RU and Hobbs were mulling volunteering for sanctions due to Flood's misdeeds. The sanctions were really small potatoes and did not materially impact the already shitty job Ash was about to embark upon.

And "con" him into retaining him? Not really. We all know the reality and what is keeping Ash here. It's Barchi and the BOG.

Also, we all knew going into this hire, whoever it was going to be, that this was going to be a rebuild, and the new coach was going to get at least 4 years to show a turnaround, unless some scandal warranted the new coach getting fired.

What we were not prepared for was a 1-11/0-9 season in year 3. Yes, it sucks, and has resulted in a lot of fans jumping off the ledge and/or feeling salty. But let's be honest--4 years was the minimum a new coach was going to be given to show improvement. The question going forward is how improvement should be measured. IMO, it is not improvement upon last year's disaster, which can arguably be ascribed to breaking in a freshman QB who was not ready to play P5 football. Improvement should be based on improvement from year 2. No blowouts this year (OK, maybe 1 against tOSU or Michigan), and the games we lose have to have a semblance of RU being competitive.

TODDB33, rucoe89, Dpgru and 1 other person like this.
  8. Knight Shift

Expand Collapse

Purdue is his signature win.

9. koleszar

koleszar Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The use of con was more tongue and cheek.

But yes our novice AD got bamboozled in that initial contract. Sorry but a public reprimand, loss of 5% official visits/5% of in home visit for one year and being on probation for two years where kids have to sign a piece of paper stating such does not warrant two years and $5.1 mil..

Also anyone who can read an NCAA document of similar cases would know these were all level III infractions which never result in scholarship reduction. I even lobbied as such during the investigation. Hell W. Virginia fought a similar case and got just probation. So we either have the stupidest lawyers on the face of the earth or they all got conned.

redking likes this.
  10. BlockR

BlockR All American
    Expand Collapse

there is no reason he should still be the HC going into this season.
    Bad job by Hobbs hiring ASH.
    Even more of a failure retaining Ash for another season to set the program back futher.

RUskoolie likes this.
  11. Knight Shift

Expand Collapse

I agree on the sanctions. It was a pussy move to volunteer for sanctions. It would have been interesting to see if Rutgers would have fired Flood if he had continued to win and recruiting was better under his tenure. Because at most places, what he did was small potatoes. And that does not mean it should be condoned, but appropriately punished.

We agree that the 2 year extension for the level of sanctions that were levied is ridiculous. The question is whether RU/Hobbs was "conned," or that detail was glossed over, or RU/Hobbs were at the point of negotiation exhaustion and just accepted it. In other deals not related to college football, have seen a lot of deals that press on for too long, and one side just says "f it" and accept terms that are not favorable to them.

Would love to know if there is a backstory on Hobbs' statement that Ash "actually wanted the job." That is an indication that the pool of candidates who were genuinely interest was very small. People love to list PJ, Schiano and others as viable candidates for the job, but the reality is the budget given to Ash was probably close to the limit and cutting off a lot of potentially good candidates from considering the job.

I don't get too worked up about the additional 2 years, because I think Ash can walk into a DC job pulling down close to $1M or more, mitigating the cost to RU.

koleszar likes this.
  12. mdk01

mdk01 All American
    Expand Collapse

A lot of those ratings make no sense to me. Jeff Monken taking West Point into the Top 25 and a bowl gets rated #50? Are they serious?

ashokan, NotInRHouse and MoobyCow like this.
  13. colbert17

colbert17 All American
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you. Maybe because the past few years their schedule has been on the weak side outside of their one big road game each year.

2018 - Oklahoma
    2017 - Ohio St.
    2016 - Notre Dame

14. ru66

ru66 All American
    Expand Collapse

superfan---get a life --you're an idiot and know nothing about what I think about Ash--you show what an ahole you are

15. NotInRHouse

NotInRHouse Legend
    Expand Collapse

And to top it off, Texas State fired their coach at the end of 2018 lol.

chrisru99 likes this.
  16. sherrane

sherrane All American
    Expand Collapse

I was going to comment that he dropped less than him as well. Edsall dropped from 97 to 115 while Ash dropped from 83 to 90.

17. RUScrew85

RUScrew85 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

He won't make it through the season.

18. mdk01

mdk01 All American
    Expand Collapse

But in the most recent year they took Oklahoma to overtime. And we're judging coaching ability, and he has to deal with West Point recruiting limitations and no red shirt availability. Given those facts, you don't put him at #50 despite a schedule that's not a meatgrinder.

19. Big boy stan

Big boy stan Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

There is one reason. $$$.

Firing Ash last year would result in payments to Flood, Ash, and a new guy all in 2019. No way RU is doing that. I remain hopeful that when the BIG money really starts rolling in, we can get/pay a better level of coach but it certainly will not happen until then.

20. buffalochicken21

Expand Collapse

In a few instances in my job, I've been present for negotiations between professional athlete's agents and the advertising agencies I've worked for.

It's my personal belief that the agents hold all of the cards in these negotiations, and the ridiculous demands they make simply become the price of admission for getting your third, fourth or even fifth choice to sign on the dotted line. It's just the way it is. These guys are hucksters, they protect their clients and they dictate the market. Because they can promise that Chris Ash just might be the next Urban Meyer, I think athletic directors (who are completely unprepared for these kinds of salesmen) fold like idiots in these negotiations.

I believe one of the moderators once said that no coach (or his agent) would have taken the job without the built in extension, it was simply the price of admission with anyone, not just Ash. I don't blame Hobbs for that.

What I blame Hobbs for is making a choice without really sleeping on it, and evaluating all of his choices adequately. I think he was wowed by Ash's OSU pedigree in the interview and Ash's pitch was "Rutgers sucks, but I'm willing to take it and make it better." I think that's why we hear Hobbs say "Ash was willing to take the job."

I suspect it was a two pronged sales pitch that blinded Hobbs, and now, here we are.

Knight Shift likes this.
  21. mikeinsec127

mikeinsec127 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

22. BlockR

BlockR All American
    Expand Collapse

there is no way Ash stays thru the end of season with an 11 game losing streak and again with zero B10 wins. If he stays Season tickets will dive below 10 thousand and the new B10 commish could seriously think about showing RU the door once Jimbo leaves.

23. beaced

beaced Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

BlockR likes this.
  24. Knight Shift

Expand Collapse

It seems from various timelines posted that Babers already had his Syracuse offer and the negotiations were well along, if not done, and he did not interview for the RU job.

beaced likes this.
  25. beaced

beaced Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Brohm will find it hard to live that one down.

redking and Knight Shift like this.
  26. beaced

beaced Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps , BUT,we should have at least begged him a little.

27. mdk01

mdk01 All American
    Expand Collapse

That must be new math. So is Nick Saban 50X better than Jeff Monken?

ashokan likes this.
  28. Wolv RU

Wolv RU All American
    Expand Collapse

Fixed it for you.

redking and NotInRHouse like this.
  29. Wolv RU

Wolv RU All American
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this. I do think Hobbs has objectively showed that he has learned a lot since then with coaching management at Rutgers. I am hopeful Hobbs will not make the same mistake next time, whether it's the scenario where it's time for an Ash extension because he has won enough or with the next coaching search, and that better days are ahead in either scenario.

30. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

90 is way too high.

31. RUPete

RUPete Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

When you see this in black and white, right in front of you, it's even more depressing.

RW90, BlockR and redking like this.
  32. Knight Shift

Expand Collapse

It's not depressing at all to me.
    2017 was a decent run. Don't lose to EMU, and that was a better than expected season after season 1.
    Season 3 is explainable due to the QB situation, except for the Kansas and Buffalo games. 2018 was pain, but a lot of experience was gained. No pain, no gain.

33. sherrane

sherrane All American
    Expand Collapse

Eastern Michigan may have been better than expected in 2017, but that doesn't change the fact they finished 5-7 in the MAC. Their wins were against 1-11 Charlotte, 4-8 Rutgers, 2-10 Ball State, 5-7 Miami (OH), and 2-10 Bowling Green. That game as well as the Buffalo game last season deflated my hopes for the season. It's one thing to get blown out by a team that are in playoff contention. It is deflating to lose to a MAC team with a losing record or get blown out by a good MAC team.

Knight Shift and redking like this.
  34. BlockR

BlockR All American
    Expand Collapse

Kansas game wasnt a eye opener giving up 44 points in blow out loss?

35. sherrane

sherrane All American
    Expand Collapse

No. We had a true freshman QB making his second road start against a P5 team after leaving his first with an injury. Buffalo was a home game against a purchased opponent. Buffalo was a worse loss.

36. KT8813

KT8813 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Great to have a HC, who has said RU tradition means nothing, in this the 150th anniversary of the first college football game!

37. Big boy stan

Big boy stan Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

My point was Ash was going nowhere at the end of 2018 no matter how poorly the team did and the reason was money. Another year like last season may force some action but I think their "plan" is to hope Ash figures it out or at least for a marginally better year then last (not hard to do) and see if they can make it to 2021.

Season tix and attendance is already down by the thousands. Whats a little more.

38. Scarlet_Monster

Scarlet_Monster All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Kansas is P5 only in name and nothing else.....

39. West Point Knight

West Point Knight All American
    Expand Collapse

Mid June...the APEX of the off season...

Let’s talk conference realignment, and the ever popular “pods”...you know it’s coming!

dconifer likes this.
  40. colbert17

colbert17 All American
    Expand Collapse

Again I agree. I would love to have him as HC. He's done a great job with Army and faces restrictions in recruiting that are difficult to overcome.
    But still the schedule is not strong.