ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated: October 26, 2020 The Reverberations of RU's Shocking Opening Win Over MSU

Damn. And let this not be missed:

"That is why athletic director Pat Hobbs regrouped and recommitted last winter after talks to bring back the best coach in school history broke down. Hobbs promised enhanced facilities and infrastructure to get the deal done, knowing that a whiff on Schiano 2.0 would increase the likelihood of Rutgers remaining the Kansas of the Big Ten. "

Kansas hired Les Miles, who some here wanted. Kansas is 0-5 this year, recently getting crushed by Kansas.

Forde has written some pretty douchey articles about Rutgers in the past. But he totally redeemed himself with that article.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just days ago, Kansas was the Rutgers of the B12.

Movin' on up, baby ...

He still said it is indisputable that Tennessee is a better job than Rutgers. Yes their fan base is bigger and they have a better history, but other than that I am not sure their future is brighter than ours with the right coach. They will almost always be behind Georgia and Florida from a recruiting perspective and play Alabama every season in their crossover game. The odds of them winning the SEC are not all that great, and their fans will expect a lot.

Yeah I think the fan base and some big donors and former players forced Rutgers hand to go back to the table to take a serous look or pay the consequences in lost revenue . Money talks my friends.

Hobbs shouldn’t get a lot of credit
I have thought alot about the Hobbs stance on Greg after the fact and I'm not sure his hands were not tied. Barchi was at the end of his tenure as President of the University and was trying to get out without any major controversy. I think the way it went down is Hobbs had his marching orders from Barchi that he could hire someone (anyone) but had to stay within a budget for both a head coach and Staff. Greg was available and Hobbs wanted to see if he could get Greg on the cheap. Greg is a smart man and knows his worth and told Hobbs to go scratch with his lowball offer and talks broke down. This is where we the fans jumped in to make this happen. After 8 years of scandal, player arrests, declining football academic achievement, and most importantly bottom of all of college football achievement on the field, The fans had enough and demanded that greg be hired. most of us on this board emailed, tweeted, and got on media to put pressure on Hobbs and Barchi to make this happen. It worked, Thats why politi of all people said the fans are the ones who we owe the bigggest gratitutde to. Without us Greg may have never ended back up here. So I am not sure Hobbs had free reign to do what he wanted until there was such outcry from the fans that even Barchi had to open up the purse strings to hire greg and I am so glad many people came to their senses.

The best part of that article is the trashing of Tennessee. I will never forget what a disgrace the Tennessee Athletic Dept., Media and most of all fans treated Greg. Other than Bret Kavanaugh, I have never seen a person get so maligned as Greg did by the Tennessee folk. So Much for southern Hospitality. I hope Tennessee goes on a 20 year losing streak.

Bless their hearts.

@rudad02
If you know he did what he was accused of why didn't Senator Feinstein call you to testify? With that I call upon our era of Good Feeling on this board after Saturday and ask the mods to delete my post and those attached to it.
Go RU!!!

You believed Michael Avanetti and Julie Swetnick? Have I ever mentioned I have some shares in a bridge I can sell you?

That’s a bunch of BS brother skinny. Hobbs did not want schiano. He thought he could hire someone himself like he did with pike and ash. Ash put egg all over hobb’s face. If it weren’t for the fan base and Governor Murphy.... schiano would not be here. I’m with plum street on this. Hobbs gets ZERO credit for bringing in Greg.

Hobbs absolutely gets credit. History doesn't care about what *almost* happened (we'd have a couple of NYD bowl games to crow about if it did). It cares about what actually happened. Hobbs was the guy to hire Schiano. Period.

If Schiano does what we all hope, even the most bitter among us will get over their raging butthurt and Hobbs will get credit. If Pike continues on that trajectory, Hobbs is rolling toward becoming a GOAT.

Hobbs absolutely gets credit. History doesn't care about what *almost* happened (we'd have a couple of NYD bowl games to crow about if it did). It cares about what actually happened. Hobbs was the guy to hire Schiano. Period.

If Schiano does what we all hope, even the most bitter among us will get over their raging butthurt and Hobbs will get credit. If Pike continues on that trajectory, Hobbs is rolling toward becoming a GOAT.
I have you on ignore, but I hit unignore to see another post. But wow, we agree on something. Nice post, sir.

We agree on a bunch of stuff, really.

My aim is to keep it much more positive during the FB season. And maybe right into BB season, which I don't usually watch but intend to start.

New leaves.
Something else we agree on. I am not a huge basketball fan, but it is difficult to not get excited about both BB teams.

Reactions: RUHouston
I have thought alot about the Hobbs stance on Greg after the fact and I'm not sure his hands were not tied. Barchi was at the end of his tenure as President of the University and was trying to get out without any major controversy. I think the way it went down is Hobbs had his marching orders from Barchi that he could hire someone (anyone) but had to stay within a budget for both a head coach and Staff. Greg was available and Hobbs wanted to see if he could get Greg on the cheap. Greg is a smart man and knows his worth and told Hobbs to go scratch with his lowball offer and talks broke down. This is where we the fans jumped in to make this happen. After 8 years of scandal, player arrests, declining football academic achievement, and most importantly bottom of all of college football achievement on the field, The fans had enough and demanded that greg be hired. most of us on this board emailed, tweeted, and got on media to put pressure on Hobbs and Barchi to make this happen. It worked, Thats why politi of all people said the fans are the ones who we owe the bigggest gratitutde to. Without us Greg may have never ended back up here. So I am not sure Hobbs had free reign to do what he wanted until there was such outcry from the fans that even Barchi had to open up the purse strings to hire greg and I am so glad many people came to their senses.
I’d buy that except Pat had no problem paying Pikiell $4m. That extension and price tag came out of nowhere. So I’m convinced Pat just didn’t want Schiano.

I’d buy that except Pat had no problem paying Pikiell $4m. That extension and price tag came out of nowhere. So I’m convinced Pat just didn’t want Schiano.
I am not here to argue. I am sure that Pat wanted someone he thought could be successful. If pat didn’t want Greg then why would he have reached out to him to begin with? My feeling is Hobbs had his marching orders from Barchi, hire whomever you want but stay within $ X budget. Hobbs entertained Greg and made an offer way lower than what Greg was expecting. Barchi, for his part was looking to get out of Rutgers without a major scandal and without pissing off the academic staff(I.e. professors) hence the budget. What both Hobbs and Barchi were not counting on is the overwhelming blowback that came when word got out that the deal with Schiano was dead. Everyone from the governor, many in NJ’s government, big donors, and most of all thousands of fans made it loud and clear that the issue with hiring Greg was anything but done!
Barchi, with one foot out the door had no choice but to give the ok or else risk ruining his stellar reputation if Rutgers lost Schiano. The groundswell activism is what got Greg hired and now you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
I honestly don't think Greg's salary was the issue. It wasn't about GS knowing his worth. It was about GS knowing what it would take to be successful. Recall he did the same thing when he came here the first time. He had a list of requirements that had to be met before head take the job. What good is being head coach if you are constantly told you have to hire a staff at half the budget of everyone else? We get sh!tty staffs like Ash had. If you want to play with the big boys you need to pay like the big boys.
Schiano knows its a waste of time to take the job with half assed support so he gets what he needs in writing up front. Its brilliant, really.

I don't know about financial restrictions, etc. but I don't think he wanted GS either. This wouldn't be "his " pick but one kind of shoved down his throat. I'm glad it happened the way it did because from what I understand Rich Kotite is fantastic when it come to interviews. As for the other top contender for the job has anyone noticed that not only did Butch Jones not get a HC job but he isn't even an on the field assistant at Bama.
As for Pike don't forget where Hobbs came from so there has to be a naturally affinity to basketball in his heart. That being said I have no problem giving Pike whatever he wants. Just imagine. In a very short time we will have our two major sports being competitive in the B1G 10.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

With the version of the story I heard and posted about, I wanted Hobbs fired for mishandling the hire for awhile, but at the end of the day, it got done and that's all that truly matters and I gave up my anger about this the day Greg got hired. Good post.

We agree on a bunch of stuff, really.

My aim is to keep it much more positive during the FB season. And maybe right into BB season, which I don't usually watch but intend to start.

New leaves.
Something else we agree on. I am not a huge basketball fan, but it is difficult to not get excited about both BB teams.

When we only talk sports, I'm best buddies with Cali, bac, and rutgers95, for the most part, as we're generally fairly aligned on such things. Sometimes I wonder if the CE board was the worst thing that ever happened to the sports boards, which is why I haven't signed up.

Schiano would have CRUSHED IT in Knoxville. He'd be in the SEC EAST recruiting Florida and New Jersey.. with the SEC pedigree and the checkerboard field to sell. And despite his name ending in vowel.. he even shares religion with the bulk of those folk.

The Vol AD made the right move and got fired for it.

Karma is a bitch and Vol fans deserve what they get.

And no, Hobbs doesn't get credit.. he got to keep his job.. that's "credit" enough. Hopefully, he learned something... and I am not a fan of booting people AFTER I already paid for them to learn on the job. Which is why I wanted Pernetti and Rice to keep their jobs.

How does he get credit when the Governor forces both he and Barchi hands? Would Hobbs still have a job if he didn't do what he was told. You really like to ignore a lot of facts in your defense of Hobbs on this.

Reactions: TRU2RU
How does he get credit when the Governor forces both he and Barchi hands? Would Hobbs still have a job if he didn't do what he was told. You really like to ignore a lot of facts in your defense of Hobbs on this.
But does anyone here really know that facts?
As best understood there are two theories:
1. Along the lines of what Forde said (and what was widely reported)- Greg had a huge list of asks, and the powers that be including Barchi, Hobbs and the BOG were unwilling to convince enough of the BOG to meet that list of asks, and the talks broke down. Fans got vocal, and both sides (Greg and RU) came to an agreement.

2. Hobbs never wanted Schiano and was forced to hire him. Have only seen that reported by a couple of reporters and drama queen Politi. Several posters have latched onto that here. Hobbs has a list of detractors that believe this theory.

To me--neither theory matters. And along the lines of what fsg2 said, in the end, Greg was hired and all is right with the world of RU football. And along the lines of what I said above--who cares anymore? Greg embraced Pat, and they moved on. The two of them working together (Greg on football, Pat on fundraising) are a great team for RU athletics. I don't understand the need to keep dredging up bad feelings.

I had thought that the pandemic might finally be the thing that brings people together in the country or even on this board. Unfortunately, that has not happened. Anyway, I'm happy where RU and RU athletics are at, and looking to make more love and less war. Peace to all.

But does anyone here really know that facts?
As best understood there are two theories:
1. Along the lines of what Forde said (and what was widely reported)- Greg had a huge list of asks, and the powers that be including Barchi, Hobbs and the BOG were unwilling to convince enough of the BOG to meet that list of asks, and the talks broke down. Fans got vocal, and both sides (Greg and RU) came to an agreement.

2. Hobbs never wanted Schiano and was forced to hire him. Have only seen that reported by a couple of reporters and drama queen Politi. Several posters have latched onto that here. Hobbs has a list of detractors that believe this theory.

To me--neither theory matters. And along the lines of what fsg2 said, in the end, Greg was hired and all is right with the world of RU football. And along the lines of what I said above--who cares anymore? Greg embraced Pat, and they moved on. The two of them working together (Greg on football, Pat on fundraising) are a great team for RU athletics. I don't understand the need to keep dredging up bad feelings.

I had thought that the pandemic might finally be the thing that brings people together in the country or even on this board. Unfortunately, that has not happened. Anyway, I'm happy where RU and RU athletics are at, and looking to make more love and less war. Peace to all.
I agree with fsg2 as well about all is good in the world now that Rutgers and Schiano are back together. Maybe is he didn't start it by praising Hobbs as if he was solely responsible for the hiring of Schiano I would have just liked his post and moved along.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Great article that is also acknowledging we still have a tough road ahead of us.
Other than Al, I think it is a fair statement that we didn't have a lot of hope going into the game. I know I figured MSU would be better prepared than they were.
Love the beat down on Tenn. who looks to be the bottom feeder in their league. The "Schiano effect" is a real thing.
I believe Hobbs was worried about having a coach that would overshadow him and become a problem controlling.
Who knows, he may end up right. But, he will most certainly not be alone in that category when you look at so many programs where the HC is clearly the person in charge.

Great article that is also acknowledging we still have a tough road ahead of us.
Other than Al, I think it is a fair statement that we didn't have a lot of hope going into the game. I know I figured MSU would be better prepared than they were.
Love the beat down on Tenn. who looks to be the bottom feeder in their league. The "Schiano effect" is a real thing.
I believe Hobbs was worried about having a coach that would overshadow him and become a problem controlling.
Who knows, he may end up right. But, he will most certainly not be alone in that category when you look at so many programs where the HC is clearly the person in charge.
I don't think you're entirely correct. A fair number of people actually thought we would win the game, including 2 of 3 from the Ledger.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Why do I have a feeling that there would be an alleged Rutgers fan complaining about Rutgers while the teams are running out of the locker room for the Final Four or CFP?

Reactions: knightfan7
I agree with fsg2 as well about all is good in the world now that Rutgers and Schiano are back together. Maybe is he didn't start it by praising Hobbs as if he was solely responsible for the hiring of Schiano I would have just liked his post and moved along.

Well then, we agree. I don't give Hobbs sole credit; I just don't give him no credit as seems popular with some.

Plenty of credit to go around ...fan base, big donors, Murphy, Eric and other former players ...

Why do I have a feeling that there would be an alleged Rutgers fan complaining about Rutgers while the teams are running out of the locker room for the Final Four or CFP?

It comes with the territory. If you followed the Men's BB forum, there were some posters still complaining that Pike was not the answer Pike late in the season on the verge of an NCAA bid (prior to COVID of course).

Reactions: tico brown
With the version of the story I heard and posted about, I wanted Hobbs fired for mishandling the hire for awhile, but at the end of the day, it got done and that's all that truly matters and I gave up my anger about this the day Greg got hired. Good post.

I tend to try and look at things from both sides and no one truly knows the full story (except Hobbs and Schiano). That said, history is littered with "almosts" that are not remembered. What counts is the final decision and outcome - and if Schiano 2.0 continues to work out, only those who are obsessed with holding grudges will think badly of Hobbs in the future.

Reactions: fsg2
The facts as we know them certainly suggest Hobbs was against GS being hired but had his hand forced by the big donors and fanbase at large engaging Murphy, local media and anyone else we could get to listen.

That said it's water under the bridge at this point. If GS and Pike can build on their initial success no one will remember last November/December.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT