ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Reporter: Hearing Schiano before end of season

I think that probably most, maybe all of us, have had negatively feelings about Greg for either his game day coaching and or for leaving us for the pros. Regardless, I don't see any better choice right now than him.

He may feel as I do, that he had a dream opportunity to move on when he did. He now has a second chance. Another dream opportunity to come back and do it all over again. But this time, he's older and wiser. He will bring great things with him. He will be our Knute Rockne. Sorry, for babbling on here. We all need something good to dream about. Fact is, I actually actually beleive there is no one, I mean NO ONE, who could do the job better here than Greg.

Greg may not have been the greatest game day coach, but the fact remains that you have to be in games for game day coaching to even matter. We haven't been in games in 5 years. I would give anything just to be competitive against quality opponents to the point where we had a chance to win more often than not. Greg can bring us that. If his game day coaching costs us a win every now and then, so be it. Far greater than where we are now and have been lately.

The only way out of this mess we're in right now is recruit, recruit, recruit. The O line and D line only became shambles from three straight years of piss poor recruiting. One guy can come in here and hits the ground running in that department and it's Schiano. Not Lance Leipold.

I agree. Greg can recruit. He would do great with things to actually sell now

Greg may not have been the greatest game day coach, but the fact remains that you have to be in games for game day coaching to even matter. We haven't been in games in 5 years. I would give anything just to be competitive against quality opponents to the point where we had a chance to win more often than not. Greg can bring us that. If his game day coaching costs us a win every now and then, so be it. Far greater than where we are now and have been lately.
I mean I thought Flood was a pretty good game day coach. Didn't matter he sucked in all other aspects.

People are being way too picky. Schiano gives us by far the best shot. We're his best shot as well.

tNR0870.jpg

I remember that when Greg was still at RU a ton of people wanted to get rid of him so RU could "take the next step." Next step was right off a cliff lol

I was one of those people ... but here's the problem. The school never tried to take the next step. It never even remotely came close to making an effort. The "next step" would have been to spend more money to get not only a name coach, but one that had won P5 conference titles. Instead, the school acquired more money (entered the Big 10) and replaced Greg with his worst position coach (which was fine for one year because of the timing of when Schiano left for Tampa Bay) and then never tried to go out and get the "next step" name coach who had won elsewhere.

People who were saying we were never going to get to the next level with Schiano in the Big East were not wrong ... he consistently got out-coached by some of the other coaches in the conference (like Brian Kelly). However, this is a different job now ... Rutgers is in the Big 10 and plays the best of the best on a weekly basis. It's a better destination to sell recruits. He's still likely to get outcoached regularly (he's not a bad game day coach, he's just not a world beater game day coach), but the important thing for right now is to just stop the bleeding. After Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, Schiano is probably best positioned to stop the bleeding immediately at this particular school.

If he were to come back, ask me five years from now if we should hire someone else to take the next step.

The only way out of this mess we're in right now is recruit, recruit, recruit. The O line and D line only became shambles from three straight years of piss poor recruiting. One guy can come in here and hits the ground running in that department and it's Schiano. Not Lance Leipold.
What makes you think Schiano can still recruit? He really hasn’t done it in 10 years. OSU doesn’t recruit. They select.

greg will recruit and will be able to keep most of the guys he wants to stay--but I don't think RU will fire anyone before season's end

Reactions: biker7766
We can all agree that GS would be a huge upgrade over Ash. However, the things that burned Schiano as a college coach are far more pronounced now.

Specifically, spread offenses. His philosophy as a head coach would have to change drastically.

He doesn’t strike me as a guy who willingly makes changes.

We can all agree that GS would be a huge upgrade over Ash. However, the things that burned Schiano as a college coach are far more pronounced now.

Specifically, spread offenses. His philosophy as a head coach would have to change drastically.

He doesn’t strike me as a guy who willingly makes changes.
That's not a bad argument but honestly all our options will be flawed. Schiano is by far the most qualified. He puts players in the league. Is highly respected by the best football coaches in the world.

Reactions: biker7766 and Kbee3
What makes you think Schiano can still recruit? He really hasn’t done it in 10 years. OSU doesn’t recruit. They select.
Yes because all those high school coaches and recruits father's forgot who Greg Schiano was in 10 yrs. You really think he doesn't still have connections in this area? You think it wouldn't be easier to sell the B1G rather than a dying Big East? Finally, you really think the man has forgotten how to recruit? Come on.

Yes because all those high school coaches and recruits father's forgot who Greg Schiano was in 2 yrs. You really think he doesn't still have connections in this area? You think it wouldn't be easier to sell the B1G rather than a dying Big East? Finally, you really think the man has forgotten how to recruit? Come on.

If anything, his absence has only increased his persona among those around the state. He would be well received and have instant credibility

Lead Michigan State athletics reporter for sports illustrated has said that it’s not a matter of “what if” but “when” now that schiano deal will be announced but that he’s hearing it will be before the end of the season potentially

He needed to severely weaken the schedule to do so. Even then he struggled to make bowls sometimes. He's not a good head coach, and no one else is interested im him except us.

You mean when we went to 9 bowl games in 10 years?

Reactions: DC8690
It's a better destination to sell recruits. but the important thing for right now is to just stop the bleeding. After Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, Schiano is probably best positioned to stop the bleeding immediately at this particular school.
If he were to come back, ask me five years from now if we should hire someone else to take the next step.
This I completely agree with. We need a program builder once again. There is no next step till this thing is built up once again from the ground up. Flood began the demolishing job and Ash is putting in the finishing touches to complete the job.

Yes because all those high school coaches and recruits father's forgot who Greg Schiano was in 10 yrs. You really think he doesn't still have connections in this area? You think it wouldn't be easier to sell the B1G rather than a dying Big East? Finally, you really think the man has forgotten how to recruit? Come on.

Forgetting how to recruit and having the energy to do it are two very different things. Forget Ohio St. Rutgers isn’t Ohio St. to recruit at the level we need to is going to take far more energy and focus.

I’m not saying he can’t. But the 30 year old GS is likely much different now. Some better, some probably worse.

Forgetting how to recruit and having the energy to do it are two very different things. Forget Ohio St. Rutgers isn’t Ohio St. to recruit at the level we need to is going to take far more energy and focus.

I’m not saying he can’t. But the 30 year old GS is likely much different now. Some better, some probably worse.
Lance Leipold is 55. Greg Schiano is 53 with a year of rest.

He (greggie) has proven he can't coach other coaches players, he proved this at RU, especially Tampa, and
and came to a great defensive team at Ohio and totally destroyed the defense that was already in place.
He comes here and he sends Sit, Pacheco, Blackshear, and the kickers packing. Then he will talk about
the empty cupboard. for 11 years like he did here. Losing to a team with a 0 and 11 record in his 10th year, and
blaming it on Shea's empty cupboard. His tremendous ego won't use players already here. we wasted 11 years
waiting to see if could learn to coach, it is too late to start this crap again. Schiano coming to Rutgers, " Say it ain't so Joe"

Lance Leipold is 55. Greg Schiano is 53 with a year of rest.
That’s surprising. GS looks older and doesn’t seem to relate to players as well.

Certainly Leipold’s offensive philosophy is much more modern.

The Eric LeGrand injury hit GS hard, and McCormick and Trenton we’re giving him grief. He may come back if he gets all the things he wants.

Yes, he had his flaws, but he has grown quite a bit in the last few years and has less to prove.

He knows NJ. He can recruit here. And give him the helicopter if he does come back.

The only other part of the country that would be attractive to him: Florida

But, the Tennessee stuff might keep schools other than Rutgers offering him. So, we might be his best option.

He (greggie) has proven he can't coach other coaches players, he proved this at RU, especially Tampa, and
and came to a great defensive team at Ohio and totally destroyed the defense that was already in place.
He comes here and he sends Sit, Pacheco, Blackshear, and the kickers packing. Then he will talk about
the empty cupboard. for 11 years like he did here. Losing to a team with a 0 and 11 record in his 10th year, and
blaming it on Shea's empty cupboard. His tremendous ego won't use players already here. we wasted 11 years
waiting to see if could learn to coach, it is too late to start this crap again. Schiano coming to Rutgers, " Say it ain't so Joe"

Are you drunk? Seriously. The guy built a vicious defense here the likes of which you may never see again.

Urban Meyer repeatedly said Schiano was his best recruiter. Is that proof enough?

Bill Walsh said Shea was a great coach.

That’s their job to promote their assistants.

Again, recruiting at Ohio St means nothing compared to Rutgers.

Lead Michigan State athletics reporter for sports illustrated has said that it’s not a matter of “what if” but “when” now that schiano deal will be announced but that he’s hearing it will be before the end of the season potentially

I've been telling you guys...

Right time, right place for both of them. For us? Hopefully Tampa Bay lures Gary away again in 2026.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT