ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Reporter: Hearing Schiano before end of season

....After Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, Schiano is probably best positioned to stop the bleeding immediately at this particular school.

If he were to come back, ask me five years from now if we should hire someone else to take the next step.

My thoughts exactly. He was not the greatest game day coach, but he can stop the bleeding. His ability to recruit will improve the program and he will either become the Kirk Ferentz of Rutgers or will leave the program in a much better condition than the present.

Again, speculation at best. Hobbs is very good at keeping quiet on hires. Ash is now officially a lame duck coach. At this point he coaches for whatever little pride he has left and we move on to another coach end of season. That’s all that we likely know.

There's no shame in losing. Only in quitting. Coach Ash took a gamble on us and we on him. Wrong guy, wrong place, wrong time.

i can only think of two head coaches who return to their previous job-Petrino and Edsall. any others and where they more successful?

This I completely agree with. We need a program builder once again. There is no next step till this thing is built up once again from the ground up. Flood began the demolishing job and Ash is putting in the finishing touches to complete the job.
stop blaming flood for fks sake.. jeez.. he was a decent game day coach.. better than that thing we call a coach today

He (greggie) has proven he can't coach other coaches players, he proved this at RU, especially Tampa, and
and came to a great defensive team at Ohio and totally destroyed the defense that was already in place.
He comes here and he sends Sit, Pacheco, Blackshear, and the kickers packing. Then he will talk about
the empty cupboard. for 11 years like he did here. Losing to a team with a 0 and 11 record in his 10th year, and
blaming it on Shea's empty cupboard. His tremendous ego won't use players already here. we wasted 11 years
waiting to see if could learn to coach, it is too late to start this crap again. Schiano coming to Rutgers, " Say it ain't so Joe"
First off the cupboard was bare after the Shea mess and If he hopefully comes back it will be bare once again ( Ash's recruiting has been horrible). No way did he use the empty cupboard excuse in his 10th year - stop posting made up nonsense.

His defense was so great, he almost beat New Hampshire, oh I guess you are right. His defense never beat V.T. W.V.
Miami, not once. Oh he did Beat Army, Connecticut, and Buffalo sometimes. Please give it a rest. You think this new
generation of recruits give a damn about his 500 win loss record, long long time ago. " Oh dad, mom, I want to go to Rutgers,
because that old guy, beat Army a few times, OK? mom ?

Reactions: jerzeyguy
stop blaming flood for fks sake.. jeez.. he was a decent game day coach.. better than that thing we call a coach today
Yes we were clearly headed in the right direction under his guidance. You simply can't be this obtuse.

His defense was so great, he almost beat New Hampshire, oh I guess you are right. His defense never beat V.T. W.V.
Miami, not once. Oh he did Beat Army, Connecticut, and Buffalo sometimes. Please give it a rest. You think this new
generation of recruits give a damn about his 500 win loss record, long long time ago. " Oh dad, mom, I want to go to Rutgers,
because that old guy, beat Army a few times, OK? mom ?
Who is a better option then? Not the national recruiter of the year? Respected by the best coach in the world. Sends multiple players to the NFL.

He went to the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl in back-to-back years ... I'll take it.
He was below .500 in conference in his last 5 years and .500 in conference in his last 6 years.... so you’d have to accept worse than that....how big a drop off and how it affects the overall record who knows but 9 games are coming from there.

Mack Brown at UNC
Too early to say anything about him but he lost to app state today and it took two comeback wins to get the two wins he has and he hired a solid staff imo. First go around he had multiple double digit winning years and rankings and high rankings too somehow I doubt he’ll reach those heights consistently again.

i can only think of two head coaches who return to their previous job-Petrino and Edsall. any others and where they more successful?
Bill Synder-Kansas St.

2nd go around went to 8 bowls in 10 yrs., only one losing season and capped by an 11-2/2012 season in which at one point they were ranked #1 and won a share of the Big 12.

Last edited:
Steve Sarkisian? Just had an out loud laugh at that one.

My SC friends would chant fire Sark so damn often. Guy perhaps was the worst CEO. OC perhaps. Sark recruiting in NJ--suuuure This board is fantastic.

Based on the Tennessee fiasco and quitting on the Patriots, Schiano isn’t exactly a wanted commodity.

As bad as we need a coach, he might need Rutgers more. Few if any p5 schools would hire him. Certainly no blue chips.

All this enthusiasm is great. I wonder how the NJ HS football coaches feel about GS2. $$$$

I'm friends with 2 HS ADs. One hated GS for what he did to one of his players and would direct kids to other schools if he came back. The other told me a ton of stories about GS just being a complete a-hole. Besides, if he couldnt have a good defense with Ohio State, what makes you think his defense at RU would be good?

Reactions: jerzeyguy
I'm friends with 2 HS ADs. One hated GS for what he did to one of his players and would direct kids to other schools if he came back. The other told me a ton of stories about GS just being a complete a-hole. Besides, if he couldnt have a good defense with Ohio State, what makes you think his defense at RU would be good?
Let me guess, they want GS to take their under recruited kids and GS didn’t. Yet they are ok with that from OSU and Mich.

He’s been sober for years now.
yes, but he drove Falcon fans to drink by the way he wasted Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Sanu, calvin ridley and freeman. His offense was basic and in second half of season defenders were calling our plays based on formation and film study. Ill pass on Sark, easily.

Saban seems to think differently.
yes, but Saban has a system in place. Coaches do not have free reign and control over everything at bama.
A coach working for Saban or working on his own are two very different things.

well we COULD have had Mark Richt but nooooooooooooooooooo

No way Richt was coming here once Miami got involved.

At least Flood put an emphasis on winning (1-0). The next time Ash mentions the W word will be the first. I hate the guy with a passion. Can’t say that about any previous RU HC

I can say I hated Flood with a passion. Especially after the Barkley class fell apart and the violations he committed.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
ADVERTISEMENT