ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Reporter: Hearing Schiano before end of season

Too early to say anything about him but he lost to app state today and it took two comeback wins to get the two wins he has and he hired a solid staff imo. First go around he had multiple double digit winning years and rankings and high rankings too somehow I doubt he’ll reach those heights consistently again.

Harder now to cheat at UNC. ;)

Schiano can recruit. He`ll field best in class defenses and special teams. Well start getting turnovers on defense again. The offense will improve but won't wow anyone. I'd take all of these things. For those against this, you have to realize that the entire program needs a facelift even to attract a coach better than schiano. Before schiano, Rutgers was considered a coaches graveyard. Face it. It's currently a graveyard again thanks to Flood and Ash. Schiano is the answer and he may even have learned some things from Urban. I still doubt this happens but it's the logical answer.

Reactions: Scangg
Greg may not have been the greatest game day coach, but the fact remains that you have to be in games for game day coaching to even matter. We haven't been in games in 5 years. I would give anything just to be competitive against quality opponents to the point where we had a chance to win more often than not. Greg can bring us that. If his game day coaching costs us a win every now and then, so be it. Far greater than where we are now and have been lately.
2014 says hello. 8-5, 3 B1G wins.

Reactions: 17Q66 and Rutgers85
His defense was so great, he almost beat New Hampshire, oh I guess you are right. His defense never beat V.T. W.V.
Miami, not once. Oh he did Beat Army, Connecticut, and Buffalo sometimes. Please give it a rest. You think this new
generation of recruits give a damn about his 500 win loss record, long long time ago. " Oh dad, mom, I want to go to Rutgers,
because that old guy, beat Army a few times, OK? mom ?
referring to Chip Kelly's new hampshire?

tNR0870.jpg
Dumb. Why would he want the team he formerly coached and players he may coach in the future to lose?

That's not a bad argument but honestly all our options will be flawed. Schiano is by far the most qualified. He puts players in the league. Is highly respected by the best football coaches in the world.
You are really swinging for the fences with every sentence. There are multiple candidates that should be considered along with Greg. There are many threads on this board pointing them out.

Yes because all those high school coaches and recruits father's forgot who Greg Schiano was in 10 yrs. You really think he doesn't still have connections in this area? You think it wouldn't be easier to sell the B1G rather than a dying Big East? Finally, you really think the man has forgotten how to recruit? Come on.
Wonder what the coaches and players he left hanging at Don Bosco think of him the day he disappeared in the middle of the night without giving the courtesy of a call or notice that something came up and he could not make it. That would a shit move.

Wonder what the coaches and players he left hanging at Don Bosco think of him the day he disappeared in the middle of the night without giving the courtesy of a call or notice that something came up and he could not make it. That would a shit move.

Well if things work out the Offensive Coordinator of that team might just be his new DC.[roll]

Did you go to the game today? It wiped me out. My group, except me headed for shade a lot of the game. Like a jackass I sat there the whole time in the blaring sun. Now I feel like Advil and bed.

As much as I want this to be true, I will only take this as wishful thinking at worse and just rumors at best.

Unless the real insiders start talking, I can't get my hopes up.

Schiano left Rutgers, the greatest job in the history of football, to be a head coach in the NFL. He is a traitor, a Quisling, and a Benedict Arnold and should never be allowed to set foot on the Banks again. His abandonment of the program and the emotional distress he caused many fans are the reasons he can never, ever be forgiven.

Even though he can recruit New Jersey like no one before or since.

Even though he has coached in the NFL and on National Championship teams.

Even though he has a past record of building this very program from nothing into a contender.

Even though he has been hired by two of the supposed greatest minds in football, Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick.

Even though he was named Coach of the Year and Recruiter of the Year.

Nope. Collectively our feelings are way too bruised for us ever to consider hiring him again. I would much rather hire some guy who had success at Buffalo, who's actually older than Schiano because he runs an offense I like, even though he has none of the foregoing qualifications.

:):Gun: :Shoot:

Schiano left Rutgers, the greatest job in the history of football, to be a head coach in the NFL. He is a traitor, a Quisling, and a Benedict Arnold and should never be allowed to set foot on the Banks again. His abandonment of the program and the emotional distress he caused many fans are the reasons he can never, ever be forgiven.

Even though he can recruit New Jersey like no one before or since.

Even though he has coached in the NFL and on National Championship teams.

Even though he has a past record of building this very program from nothing into a contender.

Even though he has been hired by two of the supposed greatest minds in football, Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick.

Even though he was named Coach of the Year and Recruiter of the Year.

Nope. Collectively our feelings are way too bruised for us ever to consider hiring him again. I would much rather hire some guy who had success at Buffalo, who's actually older than Schiano because he runs an offense I like, even though he has none of the foregoing qualifications.

:):Gun: :Shoot:
You could say a lot of the same things about Chip Kelly. In fact, he was much more successful as a college coach at Oregon before his disaster at the NFL. How is he doing at UCLA?

Beat USF all the time. Great wins against Louisville. Bowl wins. Beat Illinois MSU
He had gold players in Tampa Bay. The guy is all smoke and mirrors. No service academies to pad the the W column in this league. Will be a sub .500 coach in the B1G

Those Navy wins were very tough good wins. Louisville, USF, Illinois, MSU, Bowl wins, weren’t good enough for you? SMH!

So because Chip Kelly struggles at UCLA that means Greg Schiano can't improve Rutgers. Got it thanks.
Grow up. Some of you guys are like children waiting for Santa. Your post that I answered is full of so much ridiculous hyperbole (greatest coaching job in the history of football? --I spit out my drink), I can't rebut it point by point.

Sorry if you don't like the Chip Kelly comparison, but it is a good comparison. Did I say he could not improve Rutgers? No. Hell, rehabbed Kyle Flood could "improve" Rutgers.

Greg has quite a few flaws. They have been listed by others. To cast aside other candidates and proclaim he is the only one who can be considered for the HC job is not only ridiculous, it is short-sighted. But I could see Rutgers doing it, because they always find a way to do something in an unconventional way.

I sure hope they consider a range of candidates and don't throw themselves at Greg.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
Sucking? You mean the coach that lead us to our highest year end ranking ever?
Don’t forget the same Coach that beat the #2 team in USF?

Or the fact that he’s the only Coach to ever win multiple bowl games?

We’re in the B1G because of Greg! It wasn’t because of any other sport. Otherwise we’d be exactly like the pound puppies.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Scangg
And some of you are like butt hurt little girls who were jilted by their first boyfriend. Take your own advice.

Ridiculous hyperbole? That was intentional but apparently over your head. Rather than address Schiano's obviously strong work experience you chose to make a facile comparison to another coach that has no relevance whatsoever to whether Schiano would be a good hire.

And I never said that Schiano would be the only one who should be considered. So you're now apparently upset about something I never suggested. Try addressing the arguments actually made in a post and you won't be as upset.

He had gold players in Tampa Bay. The guy is all smoke and mirrors. No service academies to pad the the W column in this league. Will be a sub .500 coach in the B1G
We cant pad wins against anybody right now, so stop tryong to make like this is a downgrade

And some of you are like butt hurt little girls who were jilted by their first boyfriend. Take your own advice.

Ridiculous hyperbole? That was intentional but apparently over your head. Rather than address Schiano's obviously strong work experience you chose to make a facile comparison to another coach that has no relevance whatsoever to whether Schiano would be a good hire.

And I never said that Schiano would be the only one who should be considered. So you're now apparently upset about something I never suggested. Try addressing the arguments actually made in a post and you won't be as upset.
You sound upset that I knocked your pom poms out of your hands and your megaphone with GS on it. When you calm down, I can address your points.
Randy Edsall says hello too. 2.0 situations rarely work out.

Well, then why did he not win even a share of the Big East title?
What are you trying to debate here? Is he perfect no... but hes a hell of a lot better than most and we cant afford to roll the dice on someone who we could miss on.

He'll fill seats, he'll recruit better, its a no brainer. Cant miss

Last edited:
What are you trying to debate here? Is her perfect no... but hes a hell of a lot better than most and we cant afford to roll the dice on someone who we could miss on.

He'll fill seats, he'll recruit better, its a no brainer. Cant miss
Can’t miss?? I wouldn’t go that far. He missed in Tampa and OSU, didn’t he??

Reactions: Knight Shift
He didn't win a share of the Big East title because James Townsend dropped a sure touchdown in the endzone and that's all on Schiano (not). I was mad when Schiano left because of the timing and because RU had done everything he asked them to do, including fighting to get a home built for him on campus on environmentally sensitive land, expanding the stadium and more. HOWEVER, he accomplished more than anyone had done before - once he got things rolling we were in bowl games every year. The Louisville game had to be the most exciting game ever, followed by USF, and I've had tickets for 40 years. I'd be thrilled to have that kind of success again. If he wants to come back, I'd welcome him with open arrms. I'm sure he's learned a lot since he's been gone and would come back with a new energy and focus.

Flood was a much better gameday coach than Schiano.

Schiano was a much better recruiter and program builder.

Not close to being true. I pretty clearly stated why they dont like him.
No you didn’t. Were these players highly recruited kids? I’m guessing no. They feel likeRU should kiss their ass and GS didn’t. Yet, they suck up when OSU, ND, or Mich comes around.

Reactions: ATIOH
ADVERTISEMENT