ADVERTISEMENT

Sports League Status wrt/coronavirus (3/10/20)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
NBA/NHL/MLB - closed locker rooms and controlled access press conferences. Fans still allowed, but restrictions are being discussed. LeBron said he hates the idea of no fans, but understands why that might have to happen (after saying no way yesterday - said he hadn't thought about it which is fair).

NCAA - on record saying games will go on as planned with fans, but hedged a bit saying they reserve the right to change that position. As I've said, with infections growing in almost every first round location, I'll be surprised if fans are allowed in. Two conferences had tourneys without fans.

In the US, local/state edicts might supersede what the organizations want; for example the Ohio Gov has said no large public events; same for the Seattle area and surely more will follow. I'd be surprised if we see fans at sporting events in NYC/LA for more than another week, given infection acceleration rates in these areas.

There is a potential "instant test" in the works (3-4 weeks away at least) in the UK - could imagine that being used to screen attendees at large events, but it would still take a few hours, presumably.
European Soccer - almost all countries now having games without fans (except England), although the French league is proposing capping things at 1000 fans (as per government policy). No sporting events at all being held in Italy, given how bad things are there.

Olympics - still on for now, but contingencies being considered; surely the folks in Tokyo are hoping that things peter out a bit by this summer.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/n...urnament-nba-mlb-nhl-close-locker-rooms/live/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/italian...taly-expected-to-be-halted-due-to-coronavirus

NCAA is sitting in a good spot because nobody is booking travel until the sites are revealed on Sunday. So they have the luxury of sitting back and waiting until Friday or Saturday to make a call.

Even if they cancel, I hope they don't do it until Monday. We at least need to hear Rutgers' name called on Sunday.

They're not going to cancel, but looking more and more likely the games will be played sans crowds. One of those friend of a friend things.

Reactions: leonh71 and dpwhite
Whatever they decide they'll need to to do it very soon after revealing the field. Under normal circumstances, we'd be looking to book flights and hotel Sunday night.
Actually, they'd need to do it before the selection show, as it would be really shitty to not reveal any "sans fans" info until after people make travel plans.

Reactions: kcg88
Ohio will not have fans. Only a matter of time before the other seven sites follow.

This tournament, if played, will be an utter JOKE...

I don’t really agree with that. It wouldn’t be the same obviously but it’s still way better than not having the tournament at all. Playing sporting events in empty stadiums is not unprecedented.

Pretty much this. The entire event is made for TV anyway.

Since there won't be any fans, they don't need to have large arenas. Let's just play NCAA games at the RAC.

Reactions: DirtyRU
That’s why it is called an opinion...I won’t watch a glorified scrimmage with no crowd, bands and what makes BB fun...excitement. you enjoy it if that’s what it becomes...

Reactions: GORU2014
source.gif

Reactions: bac2therac
Even the hyper liberal president of one of my SUNY schools sent an email to the entire faculty sayin, the governors decision is spectacularly unnecessary and over the top...but she has her orders and now has everyone freakin the eff out!

Even the hyper liberal president of one of my SUNY schools sent an email to the entire faculty sayin, the governors decision is spectacularly unnecessary and over the top...but she has her orders and now has everyone freakin the eff out!
Just stop. You have been so wrong top to bottom it's almost embarrassing. Really. Get out of your own echo chamber.

I was on a TC today with the Executive Directors of a top 3 hospital system globally. We were to run a smaller medical meeting in the EU weeks from now.

As of 2 weeks ago they were pushing to not have it cancelled. Now they are glad everything is going isolation. Their exact words "We dont have the full sample size yet from the US because the administration is stonewalling. But former CDC colleagues have run their own analysis and have this pegged at an RNaught of 5+. Essentially the most contagious a flu to date has been ranked at. If we dont implement testing and quarantines on the scale of S. Korea this can easily 30-50% of the US population."

So please. Just sit down and shut up for everyone's sake. Your absolute lack of knowledge on the subject and insistence on labeling this a "liberal hype" should be flat out embarrassing for you.

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT