ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football......

RU from Jersey

All Conference
Jan 16, 2002
Thinks about it, as long as the NFL doesn't crap the bed, and be forced to play in the spring too, college football could play games on Saturdays and Sundays. And if they are playing in the spring there will be a good chance that there will be butts in seats as progress will have been made on a treatment, vaccine or both.

The SEC , B1G12 and ACC will call it a junior varsity season. I’m guessing there will still be a college football playoff in January with the Big Ten and PAC 12 on the outside looking in.

so the athletes will play a full season in spring and next fall?..your concerned about health and now 20 games in 8 months?.. (april -nov)....and what if no vaccine is available? ...kids are not playing in spring who were planning the play for the NFL...only way i see is MAYBE 3 regional games played per college with same day travel.. (ie monmouth, temple,Maryland)..no hotel stay..

Reactions: Ronnie_B and RUShea
The SEC , B1G12 and ACC will call it a junior varsity season. I’m guessing there will still be a college football playoff in January with the Big Ten and PAC 12 on the outside looking in.

And the fall “season” won’t be junior varsity?

Reactions: RURM85
so the athletes will play a full season in spring and next fall?..your concerned about health and now 20 games in 8 months?.. (april -nov)....and what if no vaccine is available? ...kids are not playing in spring who were planning the play for the NFL...only way i see is MAYBE 3 regional games played per college with same day travel.. (ie monmouth, temple,Maryland)..no hotel stay..
FWIW, Urban Meyer said no way this would happen. He's a nobody now, but he posited that the logistics of playing spring into fall would be too much in too short of a time frame.

FWIW, Urban Meyer said no way this would happen. He's a nobody now, but he posited that the logistics of playing spring into fall would be too much in too short of a time frame.

Here’s what Scott Frost, HC of Nebraska, had to say about Spring Football. Sounds like it’s a non-starter of an idea.

“Frost said Monday that he isn't in favor of playing in the spring because of the toll it would take on his players to play two seasons in a calendar year.

"People need to understand the carnage and aftermath of what college athletics looks like if we don't play," Frost said.”

My completely uninformed guess is that teams would split their schedule between the coming spring and next fall. In that way, teams wouldn't have to play two full seasons back to back.

Isn’t Spring the time were about 20 players are limited due to recovery from injuries, and medical procedures. That would give a little less then 3 months to do the same before fall practice, not to mention pre season work outs, if you play in Spring.

Spring football = joke

Big 10 decision today = joke. Do it unified or defer decision. Nothing good comes from it

Reactions: bac2therac
Thinks about it, as long as the NFL doesn't crap the bed, and be forced to play in the spring too, college football could play games on Saturdays and Sundays. And if they are playing in the spring there will be a good chance that there will be butts in seats as progress will have been made on a treatment, vaccine or both.
Oh god!

Playing both spring and fall is a recipe for injuries. If I'm a player, I say count me out..no way they can be forced to play back to back semesters..

Everyone needs to chill out. We're looking for the perfect scenario but this is an unprecedented event and everyone is doing the best they can. Have the season go on as planned, put coaches, players, fans, students, and support staff at risk. Play in the spring make the kids play two seasons in 12 months. Skip the season altogether and what about the seniors. Every options sucks, but it is what it is.

FWIW, I think an abbreviated spring season is the way to go. Let the kids play, represent their school, showcase their talents for the pros, schools/networks make some money back. Done in March and leave 5 months to heal up and get ready for Fall. Yes, it's unfortunate if someone has a knee and needs more recovery time, but again, unprecedented times, there's no perfect answer.

Spring football will never happen for the reasons I cited in the previous post...

Everyone needs to chill out. We're looking for the perfect scenario but this is an unprecedented event and everyone is doing the best they can. Have the season go on as planned, put coaches, players, fans, students, and support staff at risk. Play in the spring make the kids play two seasons in 12 months. Skip the season altogether and what about the seniors. Every options sucks, but it is what it is.

FWIW, I think an abbreviated spring season is the way to go. Let the kids play, represent their school, showcase their talents for the pros, schools/networks make some money back. Done in March and leave 5 months to heal up and get ready for Fall. Yes, it's unfortunate if someone has a knee and needs more recovery time, but again, unprecedented times, there's no perfect answer.

This! I nominate this as the post of the month!

Covid requires us to be FLEXIBLE. If we are able, having a shortened spring season is better than nothing at all. Is it perfect? No. But a shortened spring college football season would be a blessing.

ADVERTISEMENT