ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Sports Athletes Get Year Back - Winter Sports Up Next

If we can have Yeboah and Carter back next year that would be huge

So if your a baseball player. Season is cancelled. You graduate in may. You go get a job and then come back to play baseball next March. Seems odd.

Athletes will only come back if they choose to.

I believe in many cases people will want to move on especially if they have secured employment for after graduation. It isn't like they are all on full rides and that will mean either coming up with more money to go to school for a year either by their parents or via loans.

As to the winter sports athletes getting another year I can't see that happening. It's too complicated on several levels.

One being that every kid who signed with you needs to be released from his LOI. Many of these kids signed with schools because of the Imminent graduation of a player and their ability to compete for his position.

Reactions: newell138
I do not know if this will actually happen but I can see 2 things.

1) A lot of freshman redshirts next year, not the one and done or even 4 star kids, but guys like Mulchahy (not saying him per say, but a guy who could benefit from a redshirt year) getting redshirted. I think this would strengthen the overall game of college basketball and would be really interesting but I could also see it being chaotic.

2) allowing all players out of their NLI if they so decide/letting coaches decide if they want seniors back for an additional year.

It could be come ruthless in that sense but could be the only way to keep things moving.

Yeah

A guy starts at the 3 spot all year and come tournament time he's going to sit for a guy who hasn't played all year .

Really ?

Reactions: bac2therac
I’d rather have them play the whole year, but doubtful committee would allow that.
This is just a longshot compromise idea. Probably not practical, but don’t think a player who may play less in tourney would mind sharing time with a player that could help his team’s chances to win.

So in other words the only teams who get to have guys come back for a 6th year are teams that were still alive for an NCAA bid ?

You really think the majority of Division 1 Hoop schools is going to sign on to that ?

So in other words the only teams who get to have guys come back for a 6th year are teams that were still alive for an NCAA bid ?

You really think the majority of Division 1 Hoop schools is going to sign on to that ?

why should they get a say? The red shirts would be granted to the players who earned a right to play in the NCAA tournament and never got the chance. that is the whole point of the entire season.

I’m fine with spring sports but for winter sports, no. Count all the seniors that would actually want to come back and add up all the guys in that pool who may have made the NCAA tournament and it would be very few. For basketball, a whole year back for not getting to play another couple of games? They already played 30 games. Would any seniors in Nebraska or other schools whose seasons already ended get another year too? Doesn’t make sense. Gotta think of the incoming players and other guys on the roster coming back whose roles would be diminished having to compete with a two time senior for playing time also.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT