ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joes Jimmy Mullen commits to Virginia Tech

Aug 19, 2007
Saw where the 3 star lineman signed with VT. It looks like he had an offer from us also to play football and wrestle. VT football fans don't seem to excited to get him. He's ranked the #1 285lber in USA in Wrestling. I know we had a nice NIL package for him as per wrestling. Not sure Schiano would be too upset but a guy like that could emerge as a top football player. I guess time will tell

Last edited:
Saw where the 3 star lineman signed with VT. It looks like he had an offer from us also to play football and wrestle. VT football fans don't seem to excited to get him. He's ranked the #1 285lber in USA IN Wrestling. I know we had a nice NIL package for him as per wrestling. Not sure Schiano would be to upset but a guy like that could emerge as a top football player. I guess time will tell

Staff didn't want him. He never progressed in football the way he did in wrestling. Guys have commented that he's more an FCS player in football. He'll be all wrestling by the end of next year. This isn't like a Hamilton situation, football staff really wanted him and saw his measurables and athleticism.

Also can't put it all on the football staff for not being interested. Goodale had several spots to fill on staff and in SKWC, they didn't get one upperweight coach or wrestler to entice him to come.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Staff didn't want him. He never progressed in football the way he did in wrestling. Guys have commented that he's more an FCS player in football. He'll be all wrestling by the end of next year. This isn't like a Hamilton situation, football staff really wanted him and saw his measurables and athleticism.

Also can't put it all on the football staff for not being interested. Goodale had several spots to fill on staff and in SKWC, they didn't get one upperweight coach or wrestler to entice him to come.
You make some good points but he did have a RU football offer. I just think its hard to predict right now how he will develop on college gridiron in future. The scholarship counts towards football program right now so VT coaches must like him as a prospect. Also there are plenty of top FCS players out there that would start/play here and other P5 Programs that didn't start their college career highly rated. Should be interesting how his career plays out.

Last edited:
Love him as a wrestler. Not sure he would see the field against B1G competition in football. As another poster said, time will tell.

He has traveled The World as a Team USA Wrestler...Would he see time as a B1G Football player or play for VT? I wouldn't count this kid out...He won a NJ Heavyweight Title as a freshman...Look at the NFL greats that were only able to Win a NJ Wrestling title their Senior year..Kid is a Winner and special

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT